CAR WASH?

PALADIN

Wrong to keep your Vette clean?? Easy to keep clean if it sits in your garage.

Mine is a daily driver and yes, I run it thru a "brushless" car wash occassionally. I sometimes hand wash. I think it's better that it appears clean than filthy dirty cause I don't have time to hand wash it.

Wrong to keep your Vette clean?? Easy to keep clean if it sits in your garage.

Mine is a daily driver and yes, I run it thru a "brushless" car wash occassionally. I sometimes hand wash. I think it's better that it appears clean than filthy dirty cause I don't have time to hand wash it.

Did you notice that there were VERY LARGE brushes in the picture. Mine is a daily driver also, I never hand wash it nor do I use a brushless car wash. Its a Vert and leaks like a sieve in high pressure. I looked around until I found a detail shop that would hand wash it for 20.00. It cost me 15.00 to have my truck washed at a regular car wash! California duster in between works fine. GOOD to keep Vette clean, wrong to run thru regular car wash! IMO :fastdraw: Mine is black 15 yrs old with original paint.

Handwash = ok....I do it sometimes, I'm not getting any younger

Brushless = Hey......it needs the dust removed.....Circle K has one

Swirly bristles from hell = hell no!

My point was not to dis your post but if thats what he wants then it's his Vette. I personally would rather see a swirled Vette than a filthy one. To each their own!

Hand wash here like a mile from my work for $12. I go like once a week :bannana4:

^^^^ location please?

No likey "brushless" either. The last one of those I tried put spray wax over the dirt that was still stuck to my car (not a vette). What a mess!

My point was not to dis your post but if thats what he wants then it's his Vette. I personally would rather see a swirled Vette than a filthy one. To each their own!

Point well taken, a clean Vette is a HAPPY VETTE!!!! :laughing gut bustin::cheers

Another point to make is just because they advertise "hand wash" doesn't mean it's a good thing. How well do they wash it before drying with cheap rough towels? Do they use good quality microfiber towels? I'll bet for $12 you're getting Grandma's old worn out towels at best. It costs $12 at Danny's Family for a machine wash.

Last time I got mine hand washed, I watched the washer drop the drying towel on the ground then pick it up and continue drying. I guess the ground was clean I couldn't find any new scratches...

When needed, I either wash it myself (pain in the A$$) or take it to one of two car washes that do a good job with their hand wash. Of course I only have a C4 so it really doesn't matter!

I usually spend part of Sunday hand washing 3 vehicles plus my work Tahoe.

I run it through the car wash with the big brushes most of the time. 5 minutes in and out. It starts getting dirty later on the same day, so it becomes and exercise in futility. I tried being careful for the first year or so, but it sucked up too much time that I'd rather be driving. It's not a show car and I bought it to drive, not to look pretty for someone else's viewing pleasure.

Two things:

1) I feel like it's OK for my car to have dirt on it until I can take the time to wash it properly. But, yellow doesn't show much dirt anyway. I don't feel like brushless car washes take all the dirt off and then if you dry it, you're pushing dirt around on the paint. The brushed ones are too rough and the towels they use are suspect. No thanks. If you don't care, that's fine. No judgement here. Washing should take no more than 30 minutes if you don't do the rims, about 45 minutes if you do.

2) If you have a good permanent coating applied to your paint, the washing and clean up will be greatly eased. Not to mention, less dirt will even stick to the car.

mine went through the am/pm $3 wash this morning.... I bought it to drive :)

One word about brushless car washes. They are using an acid to disolve or break loose the dirt.

Don't expect your last wax job to last. Or some of the rubber or plastic parts.

well then there's that .....

I use the hand wash guys ........ well at least I did ....... will have plenty of time to take care of it myself .... starting TODAY!!!

• 1 month later...
ebalentine

I take my cars to the "Classic Car Spa" they hand wash it exterior only for $10. I used the Meguirers Quick Detailer most of the time on my Vettes and then take it to the Car Wash about twice a year. The Subaru I don't car if it gets washed with gravel : )

I don't drive my vette that much so when I do, I have to do a quick rinse before I go anyway.

the quick spray works good in between washes, but if you have a convertible you still have to wash it to get the dirt out of the top.

the quick spray works good in between washes, but if you have a convertible you still have to wash it to get the dirt out of the top.

Particularly appropriate with your avatar :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been only having one day off. I'll take the whole day to hand wash it. Left the gto alone for most of the month and drive the z to work. Gotta keep her clean!

Brushless for me. In between washes I use a spary detailer and duster. For the most part, my car always looks clean. Gotta love silver.

I use a waterless wash with really good microfiber towels usually once every couple weeks. Have it completely detailed twice a year while I'm in CA.