Need some opinions on c5 gauge/console project

Sleezy E

Backstory... I bought a dual pillar pod a while back to house my wideband and quickly realized I didn't want a pillar pod in the vette (guess I'm getting old)

I wanted something a little classier, and not so fastnfurious looking. I saw some pics of other guys putting gauges in the center console and I liked the look.

I found myself a spare console on CL and found this while looking around as well...

15002.jpg

The plan is to graft it into the console and move the radio and hvac controls down (removing the ashtray)

I cut the face off the gauge pod and taped it on for a quick visual.. I think its going to be pretty kickass

20150321_130642_zpscgf1cz3h.jpg

After that I noticed it would be far less work to just graft the pod into the ashtray location

20150321_130550_zpswrhu1ihz.jpg

So that my question I'm posing to you guys... Do you prefer top or bottom? :rimshot:

The only draw back to the lower version is, besides being farther away from your field of vision, it would obstruct the first gauge when in first gear and the second gauge in third

Wat sayz youz?

What are you going to do with the yaw rate sensor and bracket that is located directly behind the ashtray if you move those other controls down? I doubt there is enough room there.

What are you going to do with the yaw rate sensor and bracket that is located directly behind the ashtray if you move those other controls down? I doubt there is enough room there.

didn't think they'd be in the way... the hvac unit is very shallow. I will probably have to cut off the bracket that the ashtray mounts to though

Down would be sooo much easier...my ashtray gave way to assorted giggle gas switches ftw, but I agree the Up looks bitchin.

That surprises me. Should be good then.

Down would be sooo much easier...my ashtray gave way to assorted giggle gas switches ftw, but I agree the Up looks bitchin.

Have you ever actually run the car on that set up?

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Be sure to keep us updated

I vote for up top too. I have a dual gauge pod now and find that it encroaches a bit too much for my liking. Though I think it's the best setup for visibility, this bezel from DD Mods looks way cooler.

ddd4.jpg

Yep, that's what got my gears turning.

I just wasn't a fan of how the gauges weren't counter sunk like the radio and hvac controls... I also wasn't a fan of the price. lol

made a little progress...

Got the ashtray cut out and mostly shaped to fit the hvac unit, still have a little to cut. I had to add extra material on the sides due to how tapered the original shape was.

Also got the center bar moved up to match the original hole for the radio....

20150327_125801_zps8extflvg.jpg

Then I got the gauge panel cut up and blended in most of the way...

20150327_142024_zpsdfgvgims.jpg

now it's sitting in the garage over night drying...

This ABS slurry stuff is awesome btw... first time I've tried it.

20150327_153528_zps08cgk1is.jpg

Should have her all done about this time next week I hope

I concur. :ok:

a couple shots from today... a bit of sanding and I put another coat of abs on after taking the pics...

20150401_152116_zps6491qu7b.jpg

20150401_151917_zpsy3skaxds.jpg

Sweet!

You don't remember telling me the reason my car was quicker was the torque converter? :lol

Sweet!

You don't remember telling me the reason my car was quicker was the torque converter? :lol
Nope, but ok. When was the last time? :lol

• 3 weeks later...