The Vette addiction has begun (Lots of Pics)

Daltimaion

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daltimaion

• Unreal

• joe@cpr.com

• Desertdawg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if I recall you need to pull the harmonic balancer.

you will need a GM puller tool for that.

also to re install the harmonic ballancer the right way is to pull the starter and lock the flywheel using a special tool.

( i might be bribed to sell for $25 if PM'ed)

a smart person would do the 2 flowing items;

-depending on millage, replace the harmonic ballancer with a OEM unit.

you can mess it up during the removal process, and they are known to fail after a while.

- Pin the crank.

you are already there, and if you ever decide to add a supercharger, you will have saved 10 hours of labor.

I am a person that believes the car runs in harmony.

if you increases HP, you need to also increase the other items to support the added Horse power.

more HP= more heat. get an improved dewitts radiator.

if you don't have oil cooling, now is the time (either Oem air to air or OEM air to water)

my 2 cts

the plan is to get the ECS Big blower cam and to follow with their NOVI1500 kit sometime next year. I will look into Harmonic Balancer and pinning the crank.

joe@cpr.com

Most of that stuff I stock, pushrods always measure never ever assume a 7.4, we carry all the sizes so you can measure and get it. Trunions do the btr (we have them) they are less money and the snap ring is much stronger.

When I pulled my balancer, I did it with a simple 3 jaw puller that I borrowed from Andrew (anmracing) and later also found at Harbor Freight. I don't remember having a problem using it, but you will need a new bolt when it goes back on. I have 124K miles on mine and still no wobble, although some people have had failures as early as 5k. If you reuse the balancer, mark the location in relation to the crank before removal.

If I were pulling the balancer to do a cam and had future plans for a blower, I'd install an aftermarket one, pin it, and put on the lower blower pulley at the same time. Just my opinion. I'd even consider swapping radiators and doing the basic intercooler install then too.

Thanks everyone for the insight, I'm sure we will be talking numbers pretty soon Joe :)
I'll get everything I can through you.

I'm gonna get the car a bit wider before I drop money on wheels and tires, am thinking Forgestar CF5s

I should have a new crank bolt laying around, or I gave Joe it.

I got the balancer install tool you can borrow. Generic 3 jaw works fine for removing. Pin it now. If you are doing a blower later and replacing balancer do a 10% OD IW.

Not sure if Joe is a Forgestar dealer, but AGP is. Got my wheels from them at Cost. I'm sure they would sell you a set cheap if you wanted.

Dewitts is a good idea for a blower car. Oil cooler, I actually like no oil cooler better, or run small air to air with ECS brackets if you really want to keep one, but if you aren't road racing, I find car runs better without it.

MidNiteFury01

the plan is to get the ECS Big blower cam and to follow with their NOVI1500 kit sometime next year. I will look into Harmonic Balancer and pinning the crank.

Here is a good article on the types of forced induction out there.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/0808phr-roots-centrifigul-screw-superchargers/

I haven't seen anything here which says what kind of power do you want & when you want it;

- Peak HP on a dyno?

- Good low end power?

- Mid-range torque & HP

- Flat power curve?

My :2cents

Looking at your part list, I would change just about everything.

Have BT, Pat G, Ed C etc spec out a custom cam and spring combo.

BT trunions if you do them at all, stock are fine.

Borrow a valve spring compressor, no need to buy one. Gaskets seem pricey, get them from a discount dealer.

That article above is full of generic old school stuff that barely apply. Last few turbos LS cars I drove made more torque, quicker, and had more low end than the PD blowers, and not just a little more, 200+Ftlbs more.

The overall goal is to get around 650-700whp on either e85 or 91+meth. But atm I'm just looking to get a cam that will Jive with a centri style blower. After alot of reading I'm pretty set on ECS, but nothing is set in stone.

ECS isnt bad, but custom is better. Doesnt take a big cam to make those numbers. My cam is smaller than that and makes a lot more than that. It is a 427, but I wouldn't do a big cam (not that the ECS one is that big).

I think having a custom spec'd cam would work better.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you put it on up side down.

Yeah, but teh oil drain hole is much bigger, and you no longer need a wrench... :wacked:

Okay.

I'm going to imagine this right side up and with a finger pointing at said intake.

Sweet! :party

Now all you need is the prop mod, while the car is upside down it will be easy to install.