The ACE race weekend starts this Friday

HOXXOH

well that plan just went to hell... parking teh work truck and teh phone rings :ahhhh:

heading west 40 miles to fix a broken track joint. CRAP !!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unreal

• HOXXOH

• Sleezy E

• Desertdawg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Considering it but got to be up early in the morning.

Note, they did raise prices as of today. $40 to race, $15 to spectate.

Well if it weeds out a lot of people and shortens line, I'll gladly pay $40, or more.

Too busy to go tonight, but planning on next Friday.

Well if it weeds out a lot of people and shortens line, I'll gladly pay $40, or more.

Too busy to go tonight, but planning on next Friday.

Unless you find at least 4 other people to pay their share of a $2000 track rental, you'll most likely never get to make a pass with your Vette. They also charge $400 for each car after the first 5, so there is no volume discount. Of course, those prices may have changed too.

I think you waited too long. The tech inspect there has increased with the latest change in management (4th one in less than 2 years). They are now checking for current driver's licenses, trans blankets, locking dipsticks for auto trans, flywheel shields, aftermarket balancers and axles, halfshaft retainer loops, frame mounted roll bars (RSD style floor and body mount bars not accepted), SFI fire jackets, 5 or 6 point harnesses, and helmets. And that's just for my bolton crappy 394 HP DD.

One glance under your hood and they'll check out your car for every little detail. I don't know if they'll refund part or all of your entry if you don't pass tech, but be prepared to lose your $40.

However, if you do pass tech, the lines in the staging lanes will be a whole lot shorter and the spectator crowd will be much smaller.

If you run anything quicker than 10.00 or 135 MPH, you are done and gone. There are no second chances. About 5-6 weeks ago, you could get away with a tenth or two under a 10.0 or 135+ mph, but that changed too.

Best of luck to you. Be sure to post up results.

Was running the mustang. I know how bad the tech is there and don't plan on running the vette. Mustang is only a 11.7-11.8 car so should be fine. Or I hope so. Went 12.0s last time in worse weather before recent changes.

When I get around to it, I'll take vette to SIR, but enjoying driving and the airport events too much.

Friend took his turbo camaro, and they wouldn't pass him for tech, and no refund. So no point in trying to run a fast car.

Beat a car that went 9.1@150+ a few weeks ago, so at least I have an idea of what my car would run.

Well after reading what Tom posted, I won't support them even if I'm no where near the limits.

What a load of crap...

That sux! They figure they have everyone by the balls, they are the only game in town and taking advantage of it, so they think anyway. When the crowds start to decrease, they'll either have to drop the fees, except the lose or shut down I would think.

Guest badbobs95

I'm so confused!! I know, that's nothing new. I just read the Friday page again and it looks like the only thing that changed is the raise to $40. I'm hoping to get under 13 next time, now that I kinda know what I'm doing but maybe not. Last time there, the tech guy didn't even raise my hood. What to do TOM? :at wits end:

They haven't raised my hood the 2 times I've been there recently.

...although when I took my trailblazer they did... as well as check my fire jacket.

What I posted was in response to Unreal and assuming he was going to run his Vette, not his 12 second Mustang. The tech requirements applied to running quicker than 11.00, which is obvious for him, if he could actually launch the beast rather than make great clouds of exotic smoke. Memories of the last 1,000 hp Vette that failed to produce anything beyond massive smoke screens are still vivid.

Anyway, For 11.50 and slower NA non-vert or T-top cars that are not slower than 14.00, the only requirement other than OEM is a helmet that meets the Snell 2005 specs, a seat belt on pre-'65's, a coolant recovery or radiator overflow catch can, and a driveshaft loop on open driveshaft cars. However, all cars with independent rear suspension require either halfshaft loops or changing the entire rear suspension to a "conventional differential housing assembly", regardless of ET or speed.

What all that means is that if the tech inspector so chooses, no Corvette is legal to run under the NHRA rules unless they add the specified safety equipment.

The lone exception is '08 and newer bone stock coupes that are allowed to have non-stock wheels and/or tires,

I like my smoke shows. :)

Nope, running the slow mustang. Hopefully it can crack some 11s with the stall/suspenion as it was right there without it. Going to give it 1-2 more tries then probably sell the drag parts off the stang as urge to race it isn't there and picking up a new toy next weekend. Found a new hobby to get away from fast cars.

What I posted was in response to Unreal and assuming he was going to run his Vette, not his 12 second Mustang. The tech requirements applied to running quicker than 11.00, which is obvious for him, if he could actually launch the beast rather than make great clouds of exotic smoke. Memories of the last 1,000 hp Vette that failed to produce anything beyond massive smoke screens are still vivid.

Anyway, For 11.50 and slower NA non-vert or T-top cars that are not slower than 14.00, the only requirement other than OEM is a helmet that meets the Snell 2005 specs, a seat belt on pre-'65's, a coolant recovery or radiator overflow catch can, and a driveshaft loop on open driveshaft cars. However, all cars with independent rear suspension require either halfshaft loops or changing the entire rear suspension to a "conventional differential housing assembly", regardless of ET or speed.

What all that means is that if the tech inspector so chooses, no Corvette is legal to run under the NHRA rules unless they add the specified safety equipment.

The lone exception is '08 and newer bone stock coupes that are allowed to have non-stock wheels and/or tires,

From 2015 NHRA Rule Book... Not sure exactly how to take this. Is it still up to Tech Inspector whether you need loop or not on C3s?

post-286-0-39134600-1427131696_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-67669900-1427131711_thumb.jpg

From 2015 NHRA Rule Book... Not sure exactly how to take this. Is it still up to Tech Inspector whether you need loop or not on C3s?

attachicon.gif2015 nhra rearend1.jpg

If you read the whole sentence Tom, it states "running 10.99 or quicker"

attachicon.gif2015 nhra rearend1.jpg

If you read the whole sentence Tom, it states "running 10.99 or quicker"

The rules started out in the early 50's and have been updated every year since then. How they work now doesn't necessarily reflect the higher quality of materials and engineering on newer cars. Because they deal primarily with dedicated race cars and most of the door slammers are from the '60-'70 era, the rules are directed to that group.

They did recognize recently, the ability was available for showroom stock cars to exceed the 11.50 limits, so they created a limited outlet for those cars. The roll bar rule had changed from 12.00 to 11.50 several years ago, due to the same reason.

The problems now are that when they can allow ZR1's and Z06's to run in the 10's with no more than DR's (and there are at least 20 examples on CF), yet they won't allow a mildly modded C6 with a stronger frame to run similar times without the addition of lots of other equipment.

Many tracks leave real safety issues to the discretion of the tech inspector and turn a blind eye to the letter of the rules. WHP has opted to pick and chose what rules they enforce and I suspect it's more about how many cars are waiting in the tech line and the overall condition of the car and age of the driver. The same inspector who was at Speedworld, who used to just say "Hi" and mark my window for a 10.0, now works at WHP and goes over the entire car each time, especially when the line is short. The National tech directors couldn't care less how the individual tracks deal with tech, until someone has a significant crash/injury that was due to missing safety equipment.

Neither the Indians, nor the management the Indians have hired at WHP really understand how to run a profitable dragstrip. If they don't get a grip on it soon, the track will close.

Guest badbobs95

Found a new hobby to get away from fast cars.

What did you get?

Come on Nick, you big meanie! Don't leave us hangin, not fair! :facepalm:

Nothing yet, but actively shopping and ready to buy a Jeep. Had more fun out Jeeping with friends than in fast cars. Cooler of beer, some food, a few jeeps, some ladies, it was a blast. No cost besides fuel/food. Tons of places, tons of variety.

So looking for a 04-06 Rubicon if anyone knows. Willing to buy a nice base model if modded nicely too.

That's cool. I just sold my '09 Wrangler a few months ago. I will looking for another one real soon.....