• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• Desertdawg

• old yeller

• wickedfastvette

Good luck Sean, I hope it works like you have it planned....

worse case scenario, buy a beemer, you'll look good in pink...

Good luck with your sale Sean. Hope it really works out for ya and you can get the right one.

Paid the $25 to list it on autotrader.com

My price is well below all others and I'm getting nothing. Guess the C5 is just another C4. :lol

What I've found is this. Due to age and amount of $, it's hard to get financed without paying a high interest rate. Almost needs a cash buyer, but with 10k cash that can make a.nice down stroke on a newer car.

A 1999 is between a DD and a collectable.

Make sure you repost it so it moves to the top of CL. Otherwise it gets lost the further pages back it goes.

I do repost almost daily on CL.

Most 1998 to 2000 models are listed for anywhere between $14 to $20k or more.

Insane.

Try revising the ad so it doesn't sound apologetic and negative. Never mention why you're selling unless asked. If asked, simply say you're having personal financial problems. Dump everything from "Selling my... to ...year ago." and the whole line about where you live, since Litchfield Park in the title is sufficient.

Spell out Heads Up Display, because most buyers don't know what HUD is. Drop the "C6" part on the wheels, since it either dates your car or people don't know the difference anyway.

Take out the lines about headers, sways, and tires. Those are things that buyers either don't care about, can see for themselves when they come to look, or you can promote but only if the buyer appears to be performance oriented when you show the car.

Put a positive spin in place of the other stuff, like:

Sacrificing my super clean, well maintained, excellent condition, Vette at a bargain price.

Great power and lots of fun, while still getting good gas mileage.

Many upgrades, including (fill in some things here like tint, floormats, etc, but no power mods)

Must see to truly appreciate.

Please include a phone number in your reply and I'll call you back ASAP.

Take some better pics of the exterior in a better setting and lighting than your driveway. Get interior pics in broad daylight to avoid shadows. Definitely get a pic or two with the top off and at least one with the glass top.

Remember that you can't sell the car without someone seeing and driving it. So it's all a waste unless you can convince them to come to you. Lots of people will try to get a better price while on the phone, so tell them you will take offers, but only after they've seen and driven it. During a phone discussion, mention that you're a school teacher. Most people relate that as a conservative job and by association, someone who wouldn't abuse the car.

Texted with a guy tonight, but he's a few thousand off.

No one wants to pay what it's worth...or even close to it.

Texted with a guy tonight, but he's a few thousand off.

No one wants to pay what it's worth...or even close to it.

Texted? What kind of sales pitch is that? It's a good thing you teach math to school kids, since you'd never survive as a car salesman.

Never discuss (or text) price on the phone. If they offer something less than the asking price, tell them you don't accept offers without first seeing and driving the car. If they hang up, just be happy you didn't waste any more time with them.

Advertising is all about emphasizing the strong points and never mentioning anything else. Anything that is an opinion, is fair game to maximize to your benefit.

I see you made some changes to the ad, but dump that part about the trans replacement (you can mention that when they come to see it, but a replacement at 81K miles indicates abuse) and the tire condition (they can see that when they show up).

Change "Selling my" (which is obvious) to "Sacrificing my" and "very clean" to "excellent condition" (it's more than just a wash job).

Add the bit about it being well maintained (especially if you have records, mention that).

Take those new pics today. The sun is out brightly for good reflection. Your current pics make the car look dull gray. Dawg didn't make that shine for nothing.

You're right...I would not survive as a car salesman...hence the reason I don't do it. :lol

In today's world though Tom, with internet and cell phones, it's different.

This is how it happened:

Buyer text: "Hi, do you still have the Vette?"

Me: "Sure do."

Buyer: "Are you flexible on price any?"

Me: "Maybe a little, but not much. I'm already priced lower than comparable cars."

Buyer: "Cool man, I understand. It's a nice low mileage car, I've got 10k to spend. You'll get your number for it I'm sure."

So there is no point in even getting together at that point. It would have been a waste of time to not talk about price before scheduling a meet.

I say, take Tom's advice.

Other than that, it's only been 10 days. You're selling a car that most buyers probably can't finance and will be a second car/fun toy. All that limits the buyer. You know this. It's also the middle of winter and about the time everyone is getting their Christmas credit card bills.

I wouldn't be discouraged for at least another 3 months.

Asking ain't getting.

That's very true and the older and fatter you get even "begging ain't getting" either. :facepalm:

Asking ain't getting.

That's very true and the older and fatter you get even "begging ain't getting" either. :facepalm:

That is because begging does not qualify as foreplay. . . :bolt:

Asking ain't getting.

That is because begging does not qualify as foreplay. . . :bolt:

Great, now you tell me! :facepalm: