Omega 1/2 mile event coming back!

joe@cpr.com

Excited to have this coming back again in such a short period of time!! Starting at this event we are going to be doing a ton of racing :) Event's this year are omega motorsports 1/2 mile, TX2k15, 1320 Street car take over here in phx, shifts3ctor in april. Hope to see a bunch of you out there again and even more this time!!! If we can be of any help please let us know, we have quite a bit of 1/2 mile experience and would love to show you the ropes, inspections, prep, etc. Hands down this is some of the most fun you can have in your car legally.

post-1028-0-52759200-1420932563_thumb.jp

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unreal

• ZZZ0006

• Z O SICK

• Desertdawg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd love to attend, but I'm not sure about tires for the car. A lot of people say don't run (or they won't allow) drag radials. I've got NT05s on the car now and even rolling into it in second gear at low RPM spins the tires.

Do they allow drag radials and which ones tend to hold up the best in a 1/2 mile event? The car is a 442ci NA LS7 with PRC 265s, ARH headers, FAST 102 and a 244/254 cam.

Drag radials are fine, lots of customers were running them. Nt05r, mickey Thompson.

According to the rules of the previous event it stated:

• Tires must be of appropriate speed rating, slicks and most drag radials will not be allowed.

Since it's not a drag race to see who gets to a finish line first, I don't understand why certain types of tires are restricted if they meet the safety requirements. A rolling start from some driver estimated speed at an approximate 1/2 mile from the finish that only measures a terminal speed, has no more need to control tire types, than it would to control engine types.

Could you ask the rule maker to please explain the reasoning? If participants ran DR's at the last event, does that mean no rules will be enforced. or just selective ones at the discretion of the organizer at any given time?

Tom, that sounds like a question you could pose to the event organizer yourself if you are thinking of participating and want to know what tires to bring. I don't believe Joe is the organizer who can give that answer.

Plus, if Joe asks, then there might be follow up questions you have.

Drag radials were allowed as long as they were in good shape and had tread, weren't on the wear bars, etc. As far as rules being enforced, this was all covered in the emails sent out to participants well in advance, and in the drivers in the drivers meeting. Tony (the organizer) clarified the rules and revised them well before the event.

I guess you could complain that the people who didn't contact Tony and ask about that rule before hand may have missed a good event, but the event sold out either way, and this one will sell out, so it isn't exactly hurting their sales. I wouldn't be surprised if this sells out in the first few hours of registration.

Rules also said no skinnies on the front. Yet the white ZR1 put them on mid day and nothing was said.

Rules also said no burnouts, then at the drivers meeting he told us where the burnout section was :lol

I think Tony runs his events kinda loose, bending the rules is ok as long as its still safe ...

In the beginning I said you should allow drag radials as long as they are not a Hoosier. Ie Mickey's 05r,r888,too tq, even the junk 555r. We run those at shifts3ctor and hit way higher speeds than anyone will at this event. Some cars at shifts3ctor go 220+. He replied with as long as they are in good condition and not cracked, junk, etc. He also informed me that this event he will let my tech bryan run his skinnies on his turbo ta as long as he isn't a bias ply in the rear. Bryan is gear limited to 160-165 so it's not like he will be setting some records, he just wants to legally Street race some people and shut down at 160.

Yah, at the 1/2 miles in Texas a few hoosiers have come apart. Not a pretty sight.

Hopefully burn out area will be better this time. I didn't do a burn out 9/10 times because I had a $300k+ 5 ft behind me most of the time and I wasn't going to be a dick and throw rocks/rubber/crap all over a nice car. I didn't have the line lock hooked up last time but will for this time. Working on getting some shocks ordered too to get some squat on.

Tom, that sounds like a question you could pose to the event organizer yourself if you are thinking of participating and want to know what tires to bring. I don't believe Joe is the organizer who can give that answer.

Plus, if Joe asks, then there might be follow up questions you have.

Ok, but Joe posted the thread and offered advice on inspections and prep, yet then indicated DR's were OK. Apparently the organizer even changes the rules at the driver's meeting, so there's no opportunity to know for sure what is OK until the event is over. That's enough to change my mind about participating. I won't muddle this thread again.

They changed no rules at the drivers meeting, the only thing they added was a burnout area because the day before the airport gave them the ok for a spot. The drag radial issue was addressed long before the event took place, Tony always said as long as they were not in bad condition, bias ply, or hoosier drag radials.

A bit of conflicting information floating around. . . the written information I received well in advance of the last event said there WOULD be a dedicated area for burn-outs. That same information said that drag radials were NOT permitted.

No problem. That was one of the best parts of the event was rides. As long as I can ride in your car if you are going.

Hey Dwayne, last time we came to this event we stayed in Goodyear at the Hampton Inn, since we live in Prescott it's way too long of a drive to Gila Bend to get there early morning for the race. I looked at room rates and it has gone up to $ 250.00 per night for the same hotel, planning to stay two nights again before and after the race this get's a bit expensive along with the entry fee.

I looked at the Space Age Lodge in Gila Bend, actually has decent reviews on TripAdvisor and the rooms are $ 150.00 per night. Do I have to worry about my Z06 being messed with or stolen in your little town? Did you see a lot of other racers stay their last time out?

There is also a Super 8 ( or something like that) over by I-8 in Gila Bend. Don't know if it is any better than the Space Age.

Even staying in Marana would only be a ~30 minute drive. That is an option. From my house in Gilbert is was less than an hour. Hell you could stay by firebird at the indian hotel.