KBB

Bigfoot

Since I'm looking, I of course check values. Even on my current car.

An '08 sells for around $30k or more, but KBB says retail is less than $24k. They are even differ on my '99 for what most are asking vs. what they value them at by around 2-3k.

So what gives?

Is it factoring in different markets?

Also, most dealers don't use KBB unless it benefits them of course.

I've looked at retail numbers, trade numbers and private party sales numbers. In this case, I'm talking retail vs. actual asking price from a dealer.

Final Effort

KBB is a joke.

Most dealers I know of use the Black Book. Also region and seasons will have an impact on pricing.

I have a few dealers that are customers of mine, for trade in values they look at what cars brought at auction - for retail prices on their lot, most post a KBB Retail Price Sticker on the window and then the actual price they are asking, which is always less.

wickedfastvette

I have a few dealers that are customers of mine, for trade in values they look at what cars brought at auction - for retail prices on their lot, most post a KBB Retail Price Sticker on the window and then the actual price they are asking, which is always less.

^^This^^

So in other words...KBB is useless.

Yes, but normally KBB is high which is opposite of what you are seeing. KBB is normally high and Edmunds TMV is normally low. I've never been able to buy one at TMV. Normally somewhere in the middle of those 2 is the real price.

Sean, this one went thru the Vegas auction in Nov & Dec. This is a wholesale, dealer only auction. As you can see its the same car with an additional 800 miles on it. Note the mileage is 60,000 plus miles.

12/11/2014 1G1YY26W28 2008 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 2DR CPE 6.2L 8CYL GASOLINE FUEL Automatic Rear Wheel Drive NV
ADESA Las Vegas
RED 61,654 Not Provided Open $22,000 11/6/2014 1G1YY26W28 2008 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 2DR CPE 6.2L 8CYL GASOLINE FUEL Automatic rear Wheel Drive NV
ADESA Las Vegas
RED 60,846 Not Provided Open $19,750

I always figured if I know what the dealer has in the car I am better able to negotiate my best deal. These are the Corvettes sold at the Adesa dealer auctions in Ca,AZ,Nev in the last 3 months. Not a good sample, but that's all I have at this time. You were talking about a 2008 model so that's all that I searched. This car had 60,000 miles so you would need to take that into consideration when coming to a value since, I'm sure, you would want one with less miles. The KBB book takes all this into consideration as the other guys pointed out there is buying value and a selling value. On top of what the dealer pays for the car he also has a buy fee which will be a few hundred $. I have found in the past that I can get a better value many times by buying from an individual. You can then have a better history of the car and many times get a better car. I bought mine in March 2013 from a private party for a little over $30,000 with only 17,000 miles, but I flew to Fresno, Ca($87) to buy it from an acquaintance that comes to AZ every month. Good luck with your search. The Manheim auction on your side of town has not sold an '08 model in the past month or so. Remember the dealer has to make enough profit to stay in business and he can't do that by only making a few hundred on each car sold.

Sean when you are ready to pull the trigger contact me I'll reach out to a few peeps maybe I can help put something together for you. Remember I am not a car salesman and I'm not looking for the "big gross deal." But I do have connections.

Ok, now I understand Ron. Thanks for the info. I would like to do private party, but there aren't a ton of them out there now.

Ed...I was already planning on having you check on that for me. :thumbs:

Out of state dealer sale will only get taxed ~ 5.7% when you bring it in to the state. Something about paying the lowest city tax available. I bought a new Motorcycle from Ca and paid about that much sales tax during registration.

Ed is a great source. But, remember that a private sale, in state or out, has no sales tax (8-9%).

Exactly why I want to do private party. :thumbs:

Talked to a guy today who's wife has a 2011 GS 2LT A6 Machine Silver vert with 9K on the clock. She is asking $40K. I told him to post it up on the forum. She owns a Tax/accounting business on Bell in the same parking lot as the Black Bear Diner.

If you're financing, this one would look a whole lot more attractive to a lender than a $30K '08. Talk to your banker and your ins agent to know your costs and limitations.

Sell your C5 and use whichever KBB, Edmunds, or Black Book pricing is in your favor for advertising on CL.

Over $30 is not quite in the budget...$40k is non-existent.

Already checked insurance, an '08 will only raise it $12/month.

We have this down here that might be in the budget....

46k miles

VIN: 1G1YY26U475128085 Model: 1YY07-2007 CORVETTE COUPE

193 - EBONY 19I - BLACK INTERIOR TRIM 1SZ - PREFERRED EQUIPMENT SAVINGS 3LT - 3LT PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP AM/FM STEREO, 6 DISC CD CHANGER, MP3 PLAYER, BOSE PREMIUM 7 SPEAKER SYSTEM, XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. (REPLACES STD/OPT/PKG RADIO) HEAD-UP DISPLAY PWR TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL HEATED SEATS INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING, COMPASS DRIVERS MIRROR, WITH AUTO DIMMING MEMORY PACKAGE UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS, DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEATS, ADJUSTABLE SPORT BUCKET W/PERFORATED LEATHER INSERTS POWER SEAT ADJUST- PASSENGER, 6 WAY LUGGAGE SHADE & PARCEL NET STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS 67U - MACHINE SILVER METALLIC AAB - MEMORY PACKAGE AG2 - 6 WAY POWER PASSENGER SEAT AJ7 - AIR BAGS, FRONTAL & SIDE IMPACT, DRIVER & PASSENGER AL0 - SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR AQ9 - ADJUSTABLE SPORT BUCKET SEATS W/PERFORATED LEATHER INSERTS BGR - BOWLING GREEN PLANT BS1 - INSULATION ACOUSTICAL PKG CC3 - REMOVABLE TRANSPARENT ROOF PANEL (REPLACES STD ROOF PANEL) CJ2 - DUAL ZONE, ELECTRONIC A/C D42 - LUGGAGE SHADE & PARCEL NET DD0 - ELECTROCHROMIC MIRRORS INSIDE REAR & LEFT OUTSIDE REAR DD8 - OSRV FE3 - SPORT SUSPENSION GU6 - REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO IL3 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN-AQ9 J55 - HEAVY DUTY POWER BRAKES JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY JL5 - CONTROL MANUAL TRANS, 1ST TO 4TH GEAR SKIP SHIFT K63 - 110 AMP GENERATOR KA1 - HEATED SEATS KNP - TRANSMISSION OIL COOLING SYSTEM KPS - COOLER OIL, ENGINE LS2 - ENGINE, 6.0 LITER 400 HP MN6 - TRANSMISSION, 6-SPEED MANUAL MZ6 - 6 SPD MANUAL TRANSMISSION N37 - STEERING: POWER TELESCOPING& MANUAL TILT STEERING COLUMN NC7 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS OVERRIDE NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS NK4 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL NU1 - CAL EMISSION SYSTEM, LEV2 QX3 - CHROME ALUMINUM WHEELS R6K - ONSTAR TURN-BY-TURN NAVIG AVAIL R6P - SPECIAL PAINT R9N - TWO-TONE SEATS WITH EMBROIDERY SLM - STOCK ORDERS U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. U3U - AM/FM STEREO, CD PLAYER, DVD NAVIGATION, INCLUDES TWO FREE MAP UPDATES (REPLACES 6-DISC IN DASH CD W/SINGLE DISC CD) U52 - ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION U65 - SPEAKER SYSTEM 7, PREMIUM UE1 - 1 YR ONSTAR SAFE & SOUND(ASK DLR ABOUT TURN-BY-TURN NAV UPGRADE) UG1 - UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE UJ9 - LOW TIRE PRESS. INDICATOR UK3 - STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS US3 - ANTENNA DIVERSITY UV6 - HEAD-UP DISPLAY V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA VA5 - ENGLISH LANGUAGE LABEL VDD - VEHICLE INFORMATION DVD VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET XND - FRONT TIRE - P245/40ZR18 YTK - REAR TIRE P285/35ZR19 Z51 - Z51 PERFORMANCE PKG (INCLUDES:LARGER CROSS-DRILLED BRAKE ROTORS,PERFORMANCE-TUNED: TIRES, STABILIZER BARS,SPRINGS, SHOCKS, GEAR RATIOS)

I speak from experience Sean, I bought my 09 cyber gry C6 from Coulter and not just Ed but Coulter in general were great to deal with.