Rear hub replacement HELP

HOXXOH

Having some difficulty with dis-assembly. I can't get the lower ball joint loose.

I beat the crap out of the tie rod connection and still couldn't get it to budge. I finally used a pickle fork as a last resort and even that was not an easy job. The top ball joint came out with just a slight tap on the A-arm, but the bottom one is stuck just as tight as the tire rod was.

I need to get this finished quickly, as I'm driving to Sacramento Friday morning. I'm afraid to use the pickle fork again, since it'll destroy the dust boot and I can't get a replacement tomorrow.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I beat the crap out of the tie rod connection and still couldn't get it to budge

Did you try striking it on opposite sides at the same time (180* apart) with 2 large ball-pen hammers? When I worked for a Chrysler dealer back in the stone age that was one of the tricks that we used so as not to damage the rubber dust shield.

I've got a slight cold but if you want I could stop by with my 2 hammers. I'm pretty close to you where, as I'm at 91st ave & Beardsley.

I beat the crap out of the tie rod connection and still couldn't get it to budge

Did you try striking it on opposite sides at the same time (180* apart) with 2 large ball-pen hammers? When I worked for a Chrysler dealer back in the stone age that was one of the tricks that we used so as not to damage the rubber dust shield.

I've got a slight cold but if you want I could stop by with my 2 hammers. I'm pretty close to you where, as I'm at 91st ave & Beardsley.

Yep, did that already. I've got it packed with dry ice now, hoping to freeze shrink the housing. Then I'll smack it again. What a pain.

If this doesn't work, I'm doing the pickle fork. I'll deal with the dust shield later.

There's a specific tool to do this, but anyone who has one is closed today.

IM OFF TO THE GARAGE TO GO WACK OFF MY BALL JOINT,.......

I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

SLAMMER

Mine came off with 1-2 whacks of hammer.

Need to support the arm or something so the hammer force goes into the right place. I kept the upper arm connected with 2 bolts, otherwise the hammer hits just made the whole thing move. Put a jack under the control arm then whack the spindle and it will come right off.

If you have a long bolt and nut you can set it in between the 2 ball joints (upper needs the nut tightened, lower ball joint nut needs to be loose. The bolt and nut will be used to apply force between the 2 ball joints. The bolt needs to be as long as the distance between ball joints. Turn the nut to put pressure on the ball joints. Now you will have good pressure helping to break the Ball joint loose.

Or you can use the correct tool, maybe AZ or checker has one in their loan a tool deal.

Got the job done. After trying several methods, including the dry ice, I finally went to the last resort and used a pickle fork. Lubed up the surfaces with grease and wailed on it with a 3# hand sledge. Got lucky and didn't tear the boot.