P0172 Check engine code on my daughters car.

Quicksilver98

Quicksilver98

Well my daughters 2005 Hyundai Elantra seems to come up with a check engine lite about once or twice a year. P0172 seems to be the flavor this month. According to what I read online its a rich condition bank 1.....Its a 4 cylinder. I believe it only has one bank. She had the code read at autozone and their printout says oxygen sensor, ignition misfire or fuel injector issue. Of course she is up there in Tempe and I am down in Tucson so hard to do remote diag, lol Hopefully she can get it down here for Christmas and I can look into it more. Anyone seen any common things cause this type of code? Just wondering what I am in for this time. Last year the intake manifold gasket needed replacing after it had a crappy repair done by previous owner (put sealant goop on it instead of replacing it)

When I dropped in my K&N air filter earlier this year, I got the same code. I too had it checked at autozone and the printout said the same thing. They suggest cleaning the MAF to see if that was the problem. I chose to remove the K&N and install the factory filter instead. I drove the car for a short while and the CEL went out. I suspected that some residual oil collected on the MAF and letting the car breath with a normal air filter resolved the problem. All the while, my car continued to run fine. I would start with cleaning the MAF first and see if that solves the problem before going the more expensive route and replacing the O2 sensors. On a side note, I have since re-installed the K&N and I haven't had any issues since.

Quicksilver98

It has the stock filter that we just replaced last year....doubt it has more then 5000 miles on it. Guess I will start by looking for air or vacum leaks and checking the fuel pressure. It seems like they call out a oxygen sensor for practically every error there is so I doubt its that. I will also clean off the MAF sensor and see what that buys us.