Sad Day doesn't begin to describe it. The Green Vette is no more

Cross

So Thursday some of you may have seen the way my day started... horribly to say the least. Yes I am alright but that's not what I cared about.

No I was not hot dogging, I even showed the log (I was working on finishing up the LS3 Card MAF Conversion and LS3 Air Intake change for the new hood change coming) 8-10 under the speed limit but it wasn't enough.

Either way I-10 coming from the house it was 9:10am or so, 65 or so in the middle lane on I-10 coming up to the Twin Peaks exit. It was raining but just lightly, lots of water coming up from tires basically making it slightly harder to see and a few times the Vette felt a little loose. I had traction control turned on to make sure I was safe.

I remember seeing a 4 door sedan white or silver next to me and he just started coming over no warning just came over. I left off the gas and tapped the brakes I believe it's a little bit of a blur because everything seemed fine then suddenly the ass end just lifted it was like experiencing snap oversteer in an MR2, I was suddenly going ass end toward the front counter clockwise I believe and it was not responding. I ended up off the interstate into the guard rail with the ass end hitting and it went up over it.

I just sat in the car for 10 minutes, I didn't want to get out I knew it was not going to be good, but I also realized that since the guard rail actually faces the frontage road and I was hitting the pillars I was lucky to not have flipped... I made a mental note that maybe Vert's are a bad idea.....

I got out and just wanted to hit someone, a guy stopped and said he saw what happened but the other car just kept going, he had no idea the plate on it.

I called the police they were already aware and on their way. I got back in the car and gathered my laptop, looked over the log looking to see what I did to fuck up but of course what was I going to find. I showed the officer the log when he showed up he just thought it was neat I could record all that information. He took down my speed at 65mph based off the log. I called insurance and of course it was my fault even with the witness, no citation from the officer and the log. Yay...

Geico took the car to Watson... they laughed it was done but they said it really sounded great.

Talked to the adjuster he was perfectly fine with me removing all my aftermarket parts so long as I put something in there place and he was actually really nice about what he offered for the car. I made an agreement to finish everything Monday and pick the car up, switch everything over and they would take it to the junkyard after that.

I began looking for a new car, the more C5's I looked at the more I got upset. I started looking at C6's and knew with the FRS in the middle of the LS Swap and the Holidays I couldn't do it... I looked at Solstice GXP's thinking it would be fun and remembered my mental note about Verts.... looked at Firehawks and knew my 408 would kill the rear end.... nothing looked good.

I tried to find a CTS-V no luck for what I wanted to spend. Then I hit GTO and found some possibles. I always wanted one and I knew at this point I was most likely going to buy a new Vette or a GTO there were just no other options I liked.

Found a 2005 GTO from a private owner, nice guy ended up finding out he races at Indy a lot. He actually ended up buying FRS parts as thats one of the vehicles he races out there. It was stock except for a K&N Drop in and Magnaflow Mufflers. Nice and clean, we talked I made an offer and we decided to touch base in the morning as I was also looking at 2 C5's. I looked and while I liked the C5's they both had things I didn't like one was high miles the other was a full Tiger shark conversion with bug eyes and I hated it.

So this morning I bought the GTO. I plan on swapping the 408 in and other things as always. I have a ton of extra parts to sell now as I get them off this week. I will probably take time off work to make it happen. But even being happy with a new vehicle and how quickly it has been handled I miss my Vette as much as it pissed me off at times I enjoyed driving it. But I guess it was time, for now I will wait and finish projects and watch the C7's. Maybe in 2 years I can pick up the C7 Z51 I want or I will find it's better to go after the C6 Grand Sports instead.

Either way a lot has happened and a Vette is down. Wish it was not so but it's happened. I have included pictures for you to see, I have a few of the GTO. Hell looking you can see I had not even shown off the new rims and tires on it yet... they just got put on.

10411233_912831142062807_545410565491206

1458499_912831168729471_6448832323421183

Thanks everyone, guess I will try to stick around... I always was strange now this just adds to it

Good to hear your not hurt. Sad to see the green monster go.

And I agree with Joe. :thumbs

(At least there wasn't a deer involved. I would never hear the end of it.)

MidNiteFury01

Glad to hear that you weren't terribly injured and able to walk away. Best of luck with the GTO. BTW is there a DOT camera somewhere along that stretch which may have captured the other vehicle?

Guest badbobs95

Glad to hear that you weren't terribly injured and able to walk away. Best of luck with the GTO. BTW is there a DOT camera somewhere along that stretch which may have captured the other vehicle?

What they said Elliott! :at wits end:

Damn! Sorry about that. At least it was just the car that got damaged and not you.

I hated that totally helpless feeling when stuff started going wrong on snow.

It's good that you found a replacement quickly to avoid the comments of being on the fence about what to buy.

Damn! Sorry about that. At least it was just the car that got damaged and not you.

I hated that totally helpless feeling when stuff started going wrong on snow.

It's good that you found a replacement quickly to avoid the comments of being on the fence about what to buy.

And at least he's not buying a BMW like someone we all USED to know! :laughing gut bustin:

And at least he's not buying a BMW like someone we all USED to know!

at least my BMW does not look like this...

fdlamefootstop.jpg

Glad you are OK - post up some pic's of the GTO...

and with Chey if ya like!

Hope you get a camera shot of the ass-hat that side swiped ya also...prolly didn't have insurance anyway, but maybe ya get to slap the stupid out of 'em!

:galletos:

Sorry to hear about this Elliott. Glad you're ok, and glad you're able to get some of the goodies off the car before they total it.