NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The race is on - part II (the road trip)

HOXXOH

RR Bob and I are road tripping to Sacramento for a shot at some negative DA air on Jan, 3. We'll be leaving early morning Friday the 2nd and staying overnight in or near Sacramento. The track there open at 10AM Saturday and racing begins at Noon. The number of racers is much smaller, So you can get in a ton of passes. I made 13 passes in under 3 hours the last time.

We'll either stay in Sacramento Saturday night or start back to Phoenix and stop in Stockton. Still undecided on that.

The whole trip depends on the weather forecast and could be postponed as late as Thursday.

Anyone is welcome to join us. So post here if you're interested in a fun road trip. Racing or even going to the track is optional.

In

RR Bob

HOXXOH

Maybe

Mike G.

have a great time guys and be safe on the public streets.

try to keep the hooligans to a minimum..

that is in between sessions of bible study.

and feeding the homeless.

...and cleaning oil off of wild sea creatures.

chad

• 4 weeks later...

How much faster do you run there? Son-in-law is thinking about going over presidents day!

January 24th or the 31st is our rain date, but February 14th would work too. We want to avoid a Saturday TnT that has a Sunday race the next day.

About 700-750' DA difference is good for .1 seconds on a stock or mildly modded engine. As the engine mods increase, the DA difference becomes less of a factor. For supercharged/turbo engines it takes about 1400' DA to gain .1 seconds. NA engines will be somewhere in between and related to how extensive the mods become.

The DA at SIR will never get negative until getting temps down below 10 degrees, since it's at 3075' elevation. Speedworld managed to go about -200, but that was at or below freezing and traction was next to impossible. It'd take a 40 degree day and uncommonly high pressure for WHP to go negative. So no AZ track, nor any track at 1000' elevation is likely to have negative DA during the daytime when the sun can heat the track.

However, with the Sacramento track at 105' elevation and the mountains to the immediate East that trap ocean breezes to increase pressure, the winter DA is negative most every day. Today it was -562 at Noon and -426 at 4 PM. More than enough time for the sun to heat the surface, while the air temps were still in the low to mid 50's. For comparison, WHP was 1203' at Noon and 1543' at 4 PM.

My last pass of 10.927 at WHP was in 2124' DA, so theoretically I could run 10.5's in -760. The previous DA in Sac was -760 when Victor, Mike G, and myself went racing there and I'm hoping for that again.

The current DA at WHP is 980, so if they wouldn't have cancelled the season, I could be making a 10.76 pass right now.

Holy crap, there must be something closer than sac town...

The next closest track that will have a TnT day with a reasonable possibility of negative DA is in Houston.

Sacramento at Noon Saturday -700 DA, 4 PM -480.

Sonoma at 9 AM Sunday -1400 DA, Noon -750, 4 PM -500.

WHP at Noon Saturday 425, 4 PM 770

Probably the best WHP will have for the rest of the year is this Saturday.

Gotta love that negative stuff in CA.

Updates ????

It's been good so far, with PB for both Bob and me.

However, the weather tomorrow at Sonoma may bring even better PB.

Thanks to Tom (HOXXOH) and Christopher Martin (SUBFLOOR) and their help re advising me what I was “doing wrong” launching my car with this new stall converter who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks! Knowing that Tom launches his car in a 1.4 and 1.5 range and Christopher which has the same gear ratio and the same stall converter as me launches his car in the 1.3 range for their sixty foot range and I could not get below a 1.59 as a best sixty foot and now at 1.54 and 1.51 look out Phoenix here I come!

Well!!

I think my scanner will not work with this windows 8 version so….

My best run at Sonoma was…

1.51 60’

6.92 660’ @ 97.71 mph

10.97 ¼ mile @ 120.95 mph

Thanks to Tom (HOXXOH) and Christopher Martin (SUBFLOOR) and their help re advising me what I was “doing wrong” launching my car with this new stall converter who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks! Knowing that Tom launches his car in a 1.4 and 1.5 range and Christopher which has the same gear ratio and the same stall converter as me launches his car in the 1.3 range for their sixty foot range and I could not get below a 1.59 as a best sixty foot and now at 1.54 and 1.51 look out Phoenix here I come!

Well!!

I think my scanner will not work with this windows 8 version so….

My best run at Sonoma was…

1.51 60’

6.92 660’ @ 97.71 mph

10.97 ¼ mile @ 120.95 mph

HELL YEAH, Bob !!!!!!!! Welcome to the 10 second club :thumbs

I guess my #1 position is still intact :thumbs

I might try WHP this Friday, for shits and giggles, and see what I can get away with.