NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Dr. Colorchip Review

jmxp69

I had a few battle scars I wanted to take care of. The worst one was right over the driver side headlight. Someone tried to repair it with conventional autoparts store touch-up and it looked terrible--left a big paint blob around the scratch and didn't fill-in the actual scratch.

I'd heard about Dr. Colorchip, so decided to give it a whirl. Here are the results.

The driver front fender had the most obvious nicks/chips, so I started there.

1.jpg

This is after one application. If you look closely you'll see there are still a couple very minor chips left. On a subsequent application, I got these too.

2.jpg

This was the conventional touchup. The Dr. Colorchip Sealact (2nd step) removed the original blob and I started filling in this much larger nick. This is probably 6 applications. I'm going to let this dry for a couple days and do a few more applications. I'll keep working on it until it's flush.

3.jpg

I also hit a number of little flecks on the hood and front bumper and have to say you'd need a magnifying glass and very bright light to find them again. The color match for Cyber Gray Metallic is excellent. This stuff isn't cheap, but IMHO was well worth the investment to get the front of my car up-to-code.

Fire away.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. Have heard it works pretty good. How much time do you have invested in this so far? Does look good.

Yeah, me too. It's not cheap and there are some mixed reviews out there. For the smaller nicks it really does a solid job filling/hiding them. I would like to see how it holds up over time, but it is paint so I expect it should hold up well.

For the larger nicks, you can see the initial result. I'll keep working on it and it clearly reduced the flaw. Expectations of perfection might be misplaced, but it absolutely makes an improvement.

It doesn't take much time at all. Thoroughly clean the surface. I used a small bucket of water + dawn and a microfiber to clean wax off. You do it just like the directions and videos show: Basically dab a drop of paint to the side of the scratch, with rubber glove on hand smear the paint into the defect, let it dry for 2-3 minutes, wipe off with the supplied cotton cloth and their 'sealant' formula. Repeat as necessary.

I spent about two hours out there last night but I worked on the whole front end including fender, hood, bumper. I took a LOT of nicks out of the hood--those tiny little white bastards. It made a big difference all the way around.

I tried this once in my pewter when I first got the car, the paint "match" was horrid. I consider this stuff buyer beware depending on color. Just my opinion tho, carry on :thumbs

I was considering this product. I hope it matches JSB closely. I will order it and let you guys know.

Thanks for posting.

Ok, made some more progress tonight. I'm really starting to like this stuff.

Somewhere along the way, the shelf below the inboard passenger side taillight got nailed with a nasty rag. This is what happens when dirty towels are used on clear. I know my way around DAs and I'm learning the Rotary, but I didn't see a good way to get in here mechanically and I was concerned I'd do more harm than good since that rounded corner surely has a thin clear coat layer.

4.jpg

Dr. Colorchip to the rescue. Any lines you see are from the lights. That shelf looks flawless now--like the other three.

5.jpg

More progress on the big chip above the driver headlamp. I do wish this stuff had better filling properties. It looks like it's building but it takes lots of coats. I'll keep working on it. Compared to what I started with, I think I'll be able to get it pretty close to perfect with patience.

6.jpg

Guest badbobs95

There is a putty you are supposed to use to fill in those deep pits. It takes forever to fill it with paint. Next time, bring it over and I'll show you how. Dr. Colorchip is fine though. It's just a little paint, a glove, and some reducer. I have had great success having a little bottle of paint specially made at Scottsdale Paint. It's easy once you know what you are doing.

Next time, bring it over and I'll show you how. It's easy once you know what you are doing.

Great, I'll be over tomorrow...... :twak: .....Well, maybe not tomorrow. Thanksgiving and all ya know.... :eat:...How about I give you a call and see what we can figure out??... :buffer:

Guest badbobs95

Next time, bring it over and I'll show you how. It's easy once you know what you are doing.

Great, I'll be over tomorrow...... :twak: .....Well, maybe not tomorrow. Thanksgiving and all ya know.... :eat:...How about I give you a call and see what we can figure out??... :buffer:

Naturally :boobies: