NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Meguiar's Lens Correction

jmxp69

Has anybody used Meguiar's Lens Correction to sand down some of the minor chips on C6 headlamp lenses? O'Reilly's has this kit for $13. I'm thinking of trying it out.

post-2562-0-30097100-1416337002_thumb.pn

I think I have. Probably not going to be super effective on pitting. It would be better on hazing.

You'll have to try. Not a bad price.

Iused this on my 2000 Silverado and they looked good but only for a small period of time, about 3 months and the haze was back.

Without mechanical buffing/polishing I'm doubtful. I've used Mother's powerball kit and that worked really well, come with a UV inhibitor which I'm sure was nothing more than wax but it's held up pretty well

Guest badbobs95

I've done plenty of C6 lenses. Start with 1500 grit on a DA polisher, then 3000 grit always using water. Then M105 rubbing compound and finish up with M205 polishing compound. Final step, a nice polimer sealer. We also clear bra C6 lenses to keep em nice and shiney. I know a few people don't like to clear bra lenses but we have had great success doing it. My 2 pennies! :boobies:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Pitting is so deep it would take some seriously aggressive sanding and then refining, polishing as bob described and then sealing. Thats why a lot of people have hazing return after 3 months or so, its because there was no new UV protectant applied afterwards (when you sand/polish you are removing that old UV protection/clear). There are a few options for the protection step....a sealer as bob mentioned, re-clearing the lights is also an option, we have used CQuartz Dlux with good luck or you can use a 50/50 mix of spar urethane and mineral spirits and wipe it on with a scotts blue towel. Sounds crazy but ive seen it last 2+ years as long as you dont scrub it to holy hell when you wash the car.

Guest badbobs95

Pitting is so deep it would take some seriously aggressive sanding and then refining, polishing as bob described and then sealing. Thats why a lot of people have hazing return after 3 months or so, its because there was no new UV protectant applied afterwards (when you sand/polish you are removing that old UV protection/clear). There are a few options for the protection step....a sealer as bob mentioned, re-clearing the lights is also an option, we have used CQuartz Dlux with good luck or you can use a 50/50 mix of spar urethane and mineral spirits and wipe it on with a scotts blue towel. Sounds crazy but ive seen it last 2+ years as long as you dont scrub it to holy hell when you wash the car.

WOW! Mineral spirits and urethane, you are so wise grasshoppa!!! Learn something new every day, even at my age. :crazyphil:

I found a guy on craigslist that did my daughters car for $30. He came to her car while she was at work and gave a 1 year warrenty. They turned out great. I would have tried to do it mysef but we have different schedules so I had to make something work for her.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

WOW! Mineral spirits and urethane, you are so wise grasshoppa!!! Learn something new every day, even at my age. :crazyphil:

Lol, not my own idea but read it on a forum years ago...tried it and got pretty impressive results :)

I used Off Woods Bug Spray on Caddy and cleared them right up!!! It really worked Deep woods Bug off spray!!!

I did a little wet sanding and they look a lot better still need some wet sending done but at least there not Yellow anymore!!

I have done 5 cars now with a 3 dollar can of Deep wood bug spray....

Not sure I would do on a Vette????