06 z06 - Trying to turn off Active Handling

zook62

So I recently picked up and '06 z06... Absolutely love it. It is everything I expected it to be. Every now and then I'd like the option to turn all the assists off and just feel it at the limit. From everything I read, I should be able to just hold down the traction control button for more than 5 seconds and turn off Active Handling and TCS. I've only done it once... The first time I tried... Before I even read the rule on how to. I've tried a handful of times and it won't turn off anything more than TCS. Any info as to whether or not there's more to it? I don't know if the 06's had the Competitive Mode option or not so I don't know if it's different than what I've read.

Thanks,

Christian

Your '06 Z06 is just like mine.

Pushing the button once simply turns the traction control (to the rear wheels) off. With it off you have full control of how much or little the rear wheels will spin.

Pushing the button a second time puts the car in Competitive driving mode, which turns the traction control off and modifies the active handling system without turning it all the way off. The active handling system, which keeps your car going more or less straight when you start to slide, just doesn't kick in as quick as it would if it was fully on. A pretty safe, what ever that means, option if you have some higher speed performance driving experience.

Holding the button down for more than 5 seconds turns everything off, and in my opinion, should only be used at lower speeds, like parking lot autocross, unless you have professional performance driving skills. Turning the active handling system off, and trying anything at higher speeds, can result in massive negative consequences.

I think you have to turn it off from the full on position, if your already in TC off or competitive mode then it won't do it.

Your '06 Z06 is just like mine.

Pushing the button once simply turns the traction control (to the rear wheels) off. With it off you have full control of how much or little the rear wheels will spin.

Pushing the button a second time puts the car in Competitive driving mode, which turns the traction control off and modifies the active handling system without turning it all the way off. The active handling system, which keeps your car going more or less straight when you start to slide, just doesn't kick in as quick as it would if it was fully on. A pretty safe, what ever that means, option if you have some higher speed performance driving experience.

Holding the button down for more than 5 seconds turns everything off, and in my opinion, should only be used at lower speeds, like parking lot autocross, unless you have professional performance driving skills. Turning the active handling system off, and trying anything at higher speeds, can result in massive negative consequences.

I keep reading that that's how it should work, but my point for the post is that it doesn't seem to be working like it should. I can turn TCS on and off like a mother, but it never say Competitive Driving or anything like that. I held it down Once, and once only, that it turned everything off. I don't know of there was some circumstance that allowed me to do that because I can't seem to do it again. Like I said though, the button works just fine. TCS on and off all day long.

I think you have to turn it off from the full on position, if your already in TC off or competitive mode then it won't do it.

I think you may be right, but I've tried this too. No such luck.

I'll have to go out and try it tomorrow, but I think there is also something about it being in gear or neutral too.

Mines an auto so the procedure may be different.

Any luck? I've tried again a few times and can't get anything to go off except traction control.

Any luck? I've tried again a few times and can't get anything to go off except traction control.

That's probably best anyway. AH won't get in your way unless you screw up or someone else does and that's when you'll be glad it's there.

I never tried and I'm heading out of town until Monday night.

Hopefully someone else chimes in and can help, if not I'll get to it next week.

Anyone with a manual know how to turn all the nannies off ???

Below is what the Owners Manual says for my 2012

To turn the system off, press the Active Handling button on the

center console until TRACTION SYSTEM AND ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM OFF is displayed on the DIC.

The StabiliTrak Off light will come on.

The system can be turned back on at any time by pressing the Active Handling button. The DIC will display the appropriate message

when the button is pushed.

Below is what the Owners Manual says for my 2012

To turn the system off, press the Active Handling button on the

center console until TRACTION SYSTEM AND ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM OFF is displayed on the DIC.

The StabiliTrak Off light will come on.

The system can be turned back on at any time by pressing the Active Handling button. The DIC will display the appropriate message

when the button is pushed.

Yea that seems to be the standard procedure everyone says to follow but I can hold it for 30 seconds and it doesn't do anything.

have you tried this with the parking brake on?

Yep, and no dice.