Another "need a body shop" thread & "How do I get a diminished value claim?"

Z06_Mir

Hey all! I know it's been awhile since I've been around here... Work has been nuts, been flying a bunch (couple new ratings) and just been busy...

On my way to work a couple weeks ago I got rear-ended in the V. So now I need a body shop. I used Classic Gold in the past with excellent results but recent work makes me want to stay away from them. I want OEM parts of course and good color blending.. should just need the rear bumper... maybe 1 backup sensor.

Now onto the more complicated matter. I want State Farm (his insurance) to pay me for my vehicle losing value. I didn't buy a vehicle with any accident history and now I'm stuck with one that due to someones negligence has that history. How do I go about this? My company (Progressive) said I need to file it separately with State Farm.. but I don't know the best way to get the most money. I would like 5-10% of the vehicle value (which is around $50k), which seems reasonable to me. Thanks guys!

I,would still recommend Classic Gold, if the insurance is jerking you around about GM parts then fight them not the body shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything about Ric's Autobody in Scottdale? The dealership/owner I bought the Z from said that is the place he'd take it.

So you'd consider taking the advice of a car salesman over folks who have used Classic Gold on numerous occasions and have been delighted with their work? Joe is a Corvette guy and understands the quality Corvette guys demand. Classic is a family run business vs Ric's corporate business. I'm not sure it's still there but Rics had a shop on Cave Creek Rd just north of Dunlap too.

As for diminished value, I got $3500 from USAA when my C5 had the entire drivers side replaced. It had $18k in damage on a value of between $35k and $40k at the time. If all you've got is a rear bumper I don't see you getting 10% or $5k.

So you'd consider taking the advice of a car salesman over folks who have used Classic Gold on numerous occasions and have been delighted with their work? Joe is a Corvette guy and understands the quality Corvette guys demand. Classic is a family run business vs Ric's corporate business. I'm not sure it's still there but Rics had a shop on Cave Creek Rd just north of Dunlap too.

As for diminished value, I got $3500 from USAA when my C5 had the entire drivers side replaced. It had $18k in damage on a value of between $35k and $40k at the time. If all you've got is a rear bumper I don't see you getting 10% or $5k.

I used to be a huge fan of Classic Gold myself. The Jeep has been repaired there twice and I was quite happy with their work. This was in 2009-2010 though and the work that I have personally seen lately is not impressive and it keeps occurring. I don't particularly want to take my car in 3-4 times to get the bumper redone like my friend has had to... and the issue still isn't resolved yet. Had I not seen that issue personally over the last couple of months and heard of others I'd definitely go to Classic... but I don't have the time to go back 3-4 times and argue with them about the paint peeling off the bumper... again.

The $5k was just a starting point.. I'd be happy with lower, but I'm not going to tell them that!