OnStar question for a 2008

JLs Mistress

My onstar box is located in the passenger side cubby compartment . My question is if I unplug it will the car start and run without any problems or codes. If not I would need to relocate the box

I know I am being lazy I could just unplug the box and find out for myself But in order to do that I need to remove carpet and cubby liner so I'm hoping someone can answer my question ...

theoreticaly it shouldnt affect driveability, but ive never ran into that situation before. it will set lost communication codes in body control systems and could disrupt the gps and bluetooth if you have that equiped

My GPS and bluetooth are after market so it should not disrupt them ...So has anybody else unplugged the On Star ?

Thanks for your reply...

If I do decide to go forward with this project can I move the box to under passenger seat...Does it matter if box is vertical or horizontal..

Onstar has been completely exorcised from my 2008 vert, but it was that way when I got it.

You might send Chad a PM he did the removal.

Onstar has been completely exorcised from my 2008 vert, but it was that way when I got it.

Thanks Donna , Chad does not know he only removed your antenna the box is still there and connected ...This is turning out to be a bigger problem than I thought.....

Thanks Donna , Chad does not know he only removed your antenna the box is still there and connected ...This is turning out to be a bigger problem than I thought.....

Well, crap! If you figure it out, let me know? I want ALL of that OnStar bs out of my car.

You can disconnect connectors J1, J2, J3 but not J4. J4 contains wires that the GMLAN (Local Area Network) uses to communicate between modules and this circuit must be complete to keep the theft deterrent and body control modules happy.

If J4 is disconnected, the car will not start. The wires in J4 will have to be spliced if the connector or the OnStar module is removed to allow pass-thru of network communication.

Maybe a Sega Genesis :roto:

post-1078-0-12546000-1414030272_thumb.jp

The C3 would be one of those vibrating metal boards that had the plastic men on it, LOL

post-1078-0-51919000-1414029678.jpg

How hard would it be to unwrap the harness and relocate the box.. like under the front pass. side seat

Onstar%2BModule.JPG

Do you want to keep the box? It may be easier just to lengthen that harness to relocate it rather than unwrapping it.

If you want to ditch it, PM me and I will walk you through it.

I can't believe I overlooked this path of weight removal. It's got to be several magnitudes greater than the chicklets I took off.

Since the '07's had Onstar as an option, the capability for removal must be there unless it's a software problem.

Do you want to keep the box? It may be easier just to lengthen that harness to relocate it rather than unwrapping it.

If you want to ditch it, PM me and I will walk you through it.

Parker what are the other two wires . I know what J1,2.3 &4 are now. Those look a like coax ? Think I might be leaning toward the ditch the box..

Why did you want to ditch it? Are you putting something else in?

John wants to relocate the battery to the rear. I'd just want the weight reduction. I've been personally losing weight too for health reasons, not just quicker ET's.

Well, crap! If you figure it out, let me know? I want ALL of that OnStar bs out of my car.

PM on the way check your inbox

That's on a ice cream diet and losing weight....

Yeah! I don't want to deprive myself of culinary pleasures, nor lose the weight too fast.