NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Inside Windshield Cleaning

Grape Ape

Got a question on cleaning the inside of the windshield. My '01 Grand Prix had a new windshield installed a few months ago. Seems like it needs inside cleaning every other week. My other car/truck have never needed cleaning that often. Is there a problem with the new window or something in the car that is causing this issue? Is there a product that will help reduce all this cleaning? I'm thinking I might have got a cheap ass window but I don't know. It does stay in the garage most the time during the day as I work nights.

Stupid question; are you wiping down the dash with Armour All or some other proctectant? If so, your windshield is collecting the film from the protectant as it evaporates.

Stupid question; are you wiping down the dash with Armour All or some other proctectant? If so, your windshield is collecting the film from the protectant as it evaporates.

:agree

My first thought too...

Guest badbobs95

I'm with goof-ball :tontopallus: Only silicone-free products on the dash. I prefer the dashmat!

When I first got my dashmat it off-gassed onto the windshield something horrible

Did you flatulate into teh box it came in first, and seal it back up overnight?

This is my DD so I RARELY use anything at all on this thing. I have NEVER used any armorhell on it. Quit using that stuff many moons ago. No dash mat either. I only use a wet rag to wipe the dash down. It all seemed to start when the windshield was replaced for some reason. Weird huh?????

Yes, yes I am. Might need to make an appointment for the ol' eyeballs.:)

Would a dash mat help alleviate this a bit?

Maybe try running water around the windshield and see if any moisture gets in....if it does then maybe it's suckin in our "clean" air and stickin to your wind shield???????

On my work truck when I get a replacement, for the first 6 months or so, it gets a smoke like film on the inside. I just use a micro fiber towel, no glass cleaner, and wipe it down. It then starts to not need so much attention. I always thought it was cheap glass.

I made the mistake of taking "Suprone" (PRONOUNCED: Super One)

to Danny's Car Wash, hand wash of course!

They cleaned my inside windshield with a rag they used with armourall!

Two years ago. Needless to say I'm still wiping off that crap!

I am using Maguires leather wipes on my dash, looks great, stays nice and shines like brand new.

But yes! It also does that evaporating thing!

Looks like that dash mat thing might also be the way to go.

PS. Don't do car washes anymore!

It could be off gassing from the sealant used during install?

Ted beat me to it,until the sealant cures,your gonna have it.

I made the mistake of taking "Suprone" (PRONOUNCED: Super One)

to Danny's Car Wash, hand wash of course!

They cleaned my inside windshield with a rag they used with armourall!

Two years ago. Needless to say I'm still wiping off that crap!

I am using Maguires leather wipes on my dash, looks great, stays nice and shines like brand new.

But yes! It also does that evaporating thing!

Looks like that dash mat thing might also be the way to go.

PS. Don't do car washes anymore!

image.jpg

Try mixing up a 20% mixture of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water in a spray bottle. That will cut any oils and grease off the glass and not streak. Just don't use it on your plastic or leather. It will also strip wax off your paint. But it's awesome on glass! And cheaper than any glass cleaner you can buy off the shelf.

I'll 3rd Ted's assesment, my work truck did this until the heat cured the sealant.

Thanks y'all. I will try the alcohol thing this weekend when I feel like cleaning it again. Give it a few more months too and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally tried the alcohol cocktail and I can say that stuff really works. Thanks for the tip and I will be using that from now on instead of any other glass cleaners. Truely amazazing..I think it is the off gassing of the new sealant they used too. Just doesn't make sense that it would be coming from any place else since it didn't do it before the glass replacement. Thanks y'all. :thumbs

• 2 months later...

Looks cool, I'd be in for two if someone wants to order a group package ...