More mid-engined Corvette fodder for the rumor mill

Ted Y

I wonder how many people are unaware of exactly how much research and development GM has conducted on the mid-engined sports car over the decades? I honestly think that GM has had bad luck economically and been afraid to deviate from the old faithful designs of the past.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/10-cars-that-paved-the-way-for-the-mid-engined-c8-chevrolet-corvette

I prefer a front mounted "mid-engine" rear wheel drive platform because I'm "old school". However, I also understand that physics dictates that a rear mounted "mid-engine" platform provides better traction and overall handling especially with the addition of all wheel drive.

"The only thing that doesn't change is change itself".

While not a Chevrolet product, the Pontiac Fiero wasn't a complete failure. I had a 1988 Formula that was a blast to drive. I had it for 5 years and had very few issues w/ it.

If they really want to make this work, they just need to reverse engineer a Porsche & they will get all the help they need. While some may consider that cheating/copying, I say they're working smarter not harder. Manufacturers all over the world, in all types of businesses, reverse engineer their competitors stuff all the time.

Can we ban Jim for being all bonered up over a fiero?

Hopefully he was Iike 16-17 at the time. My son had one and it was a POS.

It was the 2nd car I owned, so Eddie's right on the money. However, it was a 6 cylinder, and was fun to drive. And if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Poppa, didn't you admit to having a MR2 at one time? GHEY!!!

I've owned 5 mr2's. Night and day better than the fiero. All the same though you don't see me flappin my yap about them...

• 2 weeks later...

the fiero was light but still way underpowered with the iron block 4 cyl and the suspension was a bit flopy. they were pretty much junk untill the last year they were made, with the suspension isues worked out and a 6cyl under the hoo... uhm... trunk? a completely different animal, but too little too late the reputation of a pos was stuck like a corvair.