It left the garage!

Bigfoot

Yesterday I decided the vette was going to move.

First off, battery was dead...I knew that going in. So I put the Honda in front of the vette and hooked up the jumper cables. I just let the Honda run while I rotated the tires on the Honda. In over half an hour, it never took enough charge to start the vette. Decided to pull the battery and take it to O'Reilly's. They couldn't get it to charge either. Luckily it was less than three years old and I was eligible for free replacement. I decided to upgrade the battery intstead for about $30, which then restarted my three year free replacement.

Next was the AC. Damn squeal was horrible. Wasn't 100% sure where is was coming from, but decided to go old school. Took a bar of soap and just hit the front edge of the belt and squeal goes away. So it's the belt and not the compressor...thank God. But making it go away without keeping a bar of soap on it is proving a touch difficult. But I think over time it may go away for good. It's only there under heavy load and higher RPM right now.

Now the rear diff "leak." Can't find any evidence of anything at the moment. Had the car up on stands and looked and looked. Nada. Started the car and put it in drive so the wheels are spinning. I wanted to see if I could hear any noises coming from the diff. Nothing. So I hosed everything down to get rid of any residue and will see what happens.

I guess she's ready to put some rubber on the streets again.

Guest badbobs95

#1 CRC Belt Conditioner - great stuff

#2 AT-205 Re-Seal for the dif, just might work if it's a gaskit.

And you can get them locally at any automotive center. :boobies::boobies::boobies: Best of luck Sean!

You still have a vette? HA Just kidding. Get her out there. Take the top off and go for a cruise. The weather is perfect.......That goes for everybody........you too "MARK" (garage ape).

#1 CRC Belt Conditioner - great stuff

#2 AT-205 Re-Seal for the dif, just might work if it's a gaskit.

And you can get them locally at any automotive center. :boobies::boobies::boobies: Best of luck Sean!

Will look for that belt conditioner. Thanks :thumbs

Not big on stop leak stuff. Usually has some additive that "hurts" something else. Do you have experience/firsthand knowledge of this stuff?

After doing some research, I found this. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2863110-diff-breather-vent-size-and-removal.html

It helped me find what I couldn't before. I don't believe I have a rear diff leak, just a bad vent tube. Looking at it with a mirror, it's pretty messy up there and that's where the rest of the mess came from.

Good project for my week off I have right now.

Good for you Sean. Now explain to me just how you got yourself to get that thing out again? I am in need of some advise I think.... :twak: ....I think my vent tube just might be bad too. I have notice a few droplets of oil on the rear bumper cover if I drive for any long distances at all. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Was easy Mark, I just got tired of seeing her covered in dust and wanted to get my manhood back after driving nothing but that damned Honda for months on end without even touching the vette. :lol

Went and got some of that CRC belt conditioner Bob. When I first started it this morning, she was squealing again. Sprayed some of that stuff directly on the belt and at first it got a little worse. Then as I continued to try and make it go away, the better it got. I used quite a lot of that stuff, right on the belt. Still comes and goes a little, but I'm still hopeful it will get better. I sprayed some more after a little drive and then shut it down.

Going to try and drive her tonight, but we'll see how it goes once I restart her after she's cooled down. :xfinger

I once had a belt pulley that was tweaked and it squeeked like Cahd in a pron store. If your squeek returns it might be worth checking....

I once had a belt pulley that was tweaked and it squeeked like Cahd in a pron store. If your squeek returns it might be worth checking....

Both were changed already. I thought they were the cause initially. :banghead

I went thru that vent tube problem with my C5, it would burp in reverse when the cooler weather hit.

I went thru that vent tube problem with my C5, it would burp in reverse when the cooler weather hit.

and Dwayne burps in reverse when the burrito hits

Update...now I'm pissed.

The squeal just wouldn't go away 100%. Actually it was horrible this morning. So I did some more of this, some more of that...nothing was working. Soap on the edge and poof it goes away.

So I said F$ck it and went and bought a new belt...again. Remember, it was a new belt that started this whole fiasco. Well newer belt and squeal is all gone.

Can't eyeball any differences in the two belts. Only thing I can see is the "old" one says made in Mexico and the "newer" one says made in USA.

The rear diff burped more fluid again last night, so I went to Dodge today and ordered a new vent tube and will swap that out tomorrow. Yes, I said Dodge. The guys on the big board gave a part number that is an exact replacement of the Chevy one at about 1/3 the price. My price was $11.95 and Chevy's is about $30.

Update...now I'm pissed.

The squeal just wouldn't go away 100%. Actually it was horrible this morning. So I did some more of this, some more of that...nothing was working. Soap on the edge and poof it goes away.

So I said F$ck it and went and bought a new belt...again. Remember, it was a new belt that started this whole fiasco. Well newer belt and squeal is all gone.

Can't eyeball any differences in the two belts. Only thing I can see is the "old" one says made in Mexico and the "newer" one says made in USA.

The rear diff burped more fluid again last night, so I went to Dodge today and ordered a new vent tube and will swap that out tomorrow. Yes, I said Dodge. The guys on the big board gave a part number that is an exact replacement of the Chevy one at about 1/3 the price. My price was $11.95 and Chevy's is about $30.

ive seen the diff vent tube leak on the hummer h2 front diff similar to the c5 and the tsb that gm gave us to fix that is to take 3/8" fuel line and run it up near the fuse block attatch a 3/8" fuel filter and loop another section of fuel line for added measure, ive used that same fix on a c5 that didnt have a vent tube and ran it up on the inside of the rear bumper near the tail lights and so far so good.

That is the same kind of fix some of the guys on CF use as well, but they out a breather in instead.

How do you get the damn thing to pop off? Having trouble with that right now.