04 C5 Z06 - best way to replace DRL (Daytime running lights)

Drewster67

I got caught in that massive storm on Saturday and it appears the water knocked out the drivers side daytime running light. Either that or its purely coincidental.

Ive been reading up and I found multiple ways of swapping the DRL out. For those in the know - whats the best way to do so on a C5 Z06? First hand experience.

TIA and much appreciated. :checkerdflag:

Drew

Ugh.....Z"s have the damn grills. Otherwise you just push the air duct back then down. If your hands aren't too fat you can work your hand in there to rotate the socket out

Ugh.....Z"s have the damn grills. Otherwise you just push the air duct back then down. If your hands aren't too fat you can work your hand in there to rotate the socket out

I'm thinking my hands wont fit. I'm leaning towards dropping the access panel which is under neath.

i turn on the headlights to raise the door, unplug the headlight/actuator connector, turn off the headlights, (you might be able to remove the headlight bezel trim for a "little" more room) squeaze the arm down through the opening there just up to the bicep/elbow deep to reach the socket (oh this method wont work if you have rambo arms). if you find out the bulb is broken, quit and drop the lower pannel just to be safe, that and youll need both hands to pick the glass out. good luck

If moisture is getting in they most likely have a hole or crack in the top of the housing itself from the bulb heat. If this is the case youll need to replace the housings. Then you'll have to make a decision to get LED bulbs or pull the fuse out so they dont come on all the time. If you leave it as is with stock bulbs it will ruin your new housings eventually. I had to replace mine about 2 years ago. I opted to pull the DRL fuse so they only come on when the lights are on and not on all the time. I also had to replace the bulb sockets themselves because they were so brittle they shattered when I tried to pull the bulbs out. Autozone sells the pigtails with socket attached.....cant remember the p/n off hand but I think if you search this forum you may find my old post from years ago. I believe I put the p/n required in there.

Thanks for all the replies and good information.

I was able to replace the bulb by removing the access panel underneath. My hands and forearms are too big to fit through the openings for the brake cooling duct and through the top of the headlamp assembly while open.

The bulb was cracked but it also looked like its original - I found no moisture or collected water anywhere inside the lamp area. (which is a good thing) - The bulb socket seemed Ok but a little discolored from heat.

All in all - pretty easy to replace.

Now onto to replacing the drain valve on my water heater - home repairs .... (It's always something lemme tell ya)

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated.

Peace