Looking for a car I can take to the drags.

aenigma

I have no idea if this is your first third gen or not, but just in case, I should probably direct you to Thirdgen.org.

Its a fairly good reference for all things 3rd gen.

For the record, the car is fairly well known in the local 3rd gen community.

I also recommend Arizona F-body association (www.azfba.com)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aenigma

• Desertdawg

• Bromley's Corvettes

• Shifty

I have no idea if this is your first third gen or not, but just in case, I should probably direct you to Thirdgen.org.

I don't really care about the car, I just want to drag and it was clean and fast.

I don't really care about the car, I just want to drag and it was clean and fast.

OK. Enjoy.

From a post over there on the other site...

OMG, I can't believe I unloaded the heap on some vette chick, I hope it runs long enough to get her home HaHaHaHa!

JK .... :lol

With enough nitrous or maybe forced induction it might hit 12's but I highly doubt it will get there with a TPI intake that runs out of capability to breath at around 4000 rpm in a car that weighs close to 3400 lbs. Mid 13's are a much better bet for that car. It's a clean car though.

let me know when you have your car at the drags and I'll be there.

With enough nitrous or maybe forced induction it might hit 12's but I highly doubt it will get there with a TPI intake that runs out of capability to breath at around 4000 rpm in a car that weighs close to 3400 lbs. Mid 13's are a much better bet for that car. It's a clean car though.

let me know when you have your car at the drags and I'll be there.

You might want to spend some time learning about the car you purchased. The TPI intake on it was designed for use on motors as large as a 305 cubic inch but was put on the 350's as a simple way to add fuel injection in the mid 80's. The length of the runners provides a lot of low end torque but causes it to fall on it's face around 4000 rpm unless it gets heavily ported or just replaced with a different intake. The engine computer on it has very limited support from tuners any more and the timing tables end at 4800 rpm. Being an 89, yours has a 1 year only ECM in it. All things you should get an understanding of before you make decisions on what modifications you want to do to make it faster.

A stock cube stock intake TPI car is a low 14 second car unmodified. Putting the Corvette aluminum TPI heads on it doesn't really do much except make it emissions illegal by removing the EGR. Unless he also replaced the entire intake with one from a Corvette and modified the exhaust manifolds to feed the EGR. And even a large cam with an unmodified intake will have a hard time getting the car into the 12's while staying streetable.

Bottom line, the seller was not known in the local 3rd gen community for being at all honest about what the car was since he tried to pass it off as an actual Firehawk until he got publicly called out on it. If you want to know if the engine has been modified and tuned for the modifications, it's pretty simple to check. Just remove the ECM from under the dash and see if there is a large adapter plug where the chip would insert into the computer. it will look like this http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc-backordered-til-1010-p-32.html?cPath=64 If there isn't, the motor is stock and unmodified.

These cars can be put into 12s or faster pretty easy but given the history of this particular seller, I doubt the car is as fast as he told you it is. My preferred method for putting my car to faster than stock times was to put a F1 Procharger on it along with all the supporting modifications. Once I get done putting the fresh LSx in the 88 I might get around fixing the fueling issue I'm having and see if I can break it out of the 12x mph speeds in the quarter. But more likely I'll rework the suspension and brakes to turn it into a road course / autox car where the racing takes a bit more driving skill.

Or it could be she just wants to have a good time and could give two shits. Being as she's female I'm doubting her penis is small enough to need all those mods

Of course maybe I'm just being a dick. I own it

Or it could be she just wants to have a good time and could give two shits. Being as she's female I'm doubting her penis is small enough to need all those mods

Of course maybe I'm just being a dick. I own it

Thank you!! I couldn't have said it better. Except you're not a dick. You're amazing!

From a post over there on the other site...

OMG, I can't believe I unloaded the heap on some vette chick, I hope it runs long enough to get her home HaHaHaHa!

JK .... :lol

HAHAHAHA. You suck......lol

Dam talk about Raining on a girls parade.

Just go out and have fun with it. If after you've run it some, ther're plenty of Aceholes that I'm sure will help point you in the right direction.

NOW GO OUT AND STOMP DOWN ON THE FOOT FEED, MAKE THE REAR END SQUAT AND PEEL RUBBER.

Dam talk about Raining on a girls parade.

Just go out and have fun with it. If after you've run it some, ther're plenty of Aceholes that I'm sure will help point you in the right direction.

NOW GO OUT AND STOMP DOWN ON THE FOOT FEED, MAKE THE REAR END SQUAT AND PEEL RUBBER.

Thanks! Gonna do it! I am really excited to finally do what I've loved to watch for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you and Tom should race, let me know if that happens...Id like to be there...in the pits....before

I think you and Tom should race, let me know if that happens...Id like to be there...in the pits....before

It's kinda funny you brought that up, I actually thought it'd be interesting to put Tom behind the wheel for a run or two, just to see what an experienced driver could do with it. It'd be a great baseline for the car to see what it's capable of, then go chase it.

just a thought?

I already raced it as fast as its capable with street tires.

Next is changing the fuel injection for a carburetor, new heads, badly needed drag tires, a few more changes here and there and I'll have exactly the car I wanted.

Next is changing the fuel injection for a carburetor, new heads, badly needed drag tires, a few more changes here and there and I'll have exactly the car I wanted.

I've got a steak dinner that says whatever time you ran Tom will cut at least a second off. Okay, a salad for you.

The launch is everything and very few will beat Tom.

I had an experienced dragger run it. He's gotten a lot of trophies dragging for the past 30 years. He got .13 seconds better than me and that was because there was no passenger.

Knowing how to make the car launch is more important than reaction...usually the 60ft times tells the whole story.

The time off the tree is just reaction and not the car...

Okay, half a sec off his time. Being experienced doesn't mean he's good. I know several guys who have been doing it for years and have trophies but aren't worth a damn. They've just been luck in who they line up against.

So.....I want to hit a good time, I don't want my car to hit a good time. Watching it won't help me any.

Learn by doing....

So.....I want to hit a good time, I don't want my car to hit a good time. Watching it won't help me any.

Learn by doing....

I agree but you'll have a target to strive for. You'll know what it's capable of.

Learn by doing....

I agree but you'll have a target to strive for. You'll know what it's capable of.

Yes.....that's why I had an experienced dragger try to get a better time than me. He did but only because there was no passenger. It doesn't take much skill to drag an automatic with street tires. I've been watching drags since I was young. I have a lot of "spectator" experience lol. And I've learned a lot by having friends who drag over the years. When I modify it, I'll be learning more skills as I change the car. Looking forward to growing with my hobby car.