I gots a serious dilema

zook62

I have a real problem and I need some advice. I just got rid of my H&C c5 as some of you may have seen, and I am looking to get into a c6.

So here's the deal... I am looking at two potential options and I'll explain why each intrigue me. My price range is $32-38k, and at that price I'd like to have something ready to go. I.e. - If it needs repairs of any sorts I'd like to be ready to go by $38k.

2010-2012 Grand Sport.

Pro: Low miles (one I'm looking at has very low miles)

Newer

Wide body, wheels, brakes (ready for higher HP numbers)

Possibility of getting even a low mile one for a few grand cheaper than the z06's I'm looking at

Con: Not equivalent HP to to what I had.. Hard to go backwards on power

Not a z06 (weight and handling)

Not an LS7... This is the one that's really killing me

I truly will not be happy with the power until I get some power adders in there

2006-2008 z06

Pro: It's a z06

Lightweight

LS7

Been a dream car for a long time

Good interior options are standard

Con:Have to spend a fair amount of money to buy the car I want with more miles than a GS (obvious I know)

Lots of rumors of valvetrain failures, and being that I will have to snag one with 40k miles +/- this is a concern

Older, period. I don't mind this really, but I have to weigh up the fact that I can snag a GS for similar money and next to no miles

I'd love to hear your thoughts here. I know Grand Sports are not many people's favorite car. It's kind of the bastard child of the Vet models. For a second though, consider yourself in my position of money available and also the fact this will be my first c6, so many of the little creature comforts/ bells and whistles are a solid upgrade right up front. I'm excited for those things. If I go the Grand Sport route, I will be sure to follow that up with power adders.

just my 2 cents, but you should look for what you really want. C6 Z06 versus Grand Sport. Granted it will be tough to find a mid mileage Z06 for around $38K, but hey it is possible.

The pros and cons you should weigh are do you really and truly want a Grand Sport or do you truly want a Z06.

Just checked Autotrader.com There is a 2007 Z06 for $39K with 44K miles in Gilbert.

get teh grand sport and add a e force.

they did HUGE changes starting in 2008.

the LS3 aint no slouch. you have a lower TQ curve with the increased Cubic inches over your c5.

By simply adding a mild cam added 70 HP to my LS3.

while the fear/factual issue of the LS7 heads and the valve failure is a hot topic. what is considered the norm is the 06- 07 (08?) were more prone.

having lived with my first z06 for a few years now and knowing that i would add e-force to the car...

If I had to do it all over again id to rebuy my 09' zo6 again....(possibly), BUT it would be real hard choice over a grand sport (both with an e-force).

take note to add $5k to the zo6 for the heads (parts and labor)

daily driver = grand sport

weekend grand touring= grand sport

weekend track car/autocross more than 5 times =z06

Also remember with the Grand Sport; you essentially have a Z06 but with a steel chasis vs. aluminum and of course the LS7. The brakes and suspenison are essentially Z06 and as Chad said, you can drop a different cam and/or heads and you have Z06 power but save a butt load of money.

Ls3 with a blower. The e-force is such a garbage heat soaking supercharger. You have to do a lot of mods to the kit to keep iats in check. Porting, varimax pump, magnaacharger heat exchanger, and bigger reservoir tank. If you want a manual do a heartbeat blower, if you go auto get a centrifugal kit like an ECS and save a ton.

Thanks for the input guys. This would be a daily driver, so although I don't shy away from mechanical work or fixes, I have to consider reliability and honestly I would be pissed off to spend almost 40 grand on a car and have to do motor work to it just to be safe. Not saying I wouldn't, but it would chap me a bit.

I like the idea of a SC'd LS3. Joe, what was all that mumbo jumbo about manual vs auto? I would only over consider a manual, so dry sump would be part of that package. I assume that's the difference you were referring to.

I was saying if going manual and you just want to play and have a fun feeling car on the street do a pd blower like a heartbeat. If you do an auto you can get away with doing a centrifugal as an auto will help keep it more in the power band therfore making a centrifugal car feel much more responsive than in a manual where you have to bring it through the power band to get into boost. If your not trying to make over 650 rwhp than do a pd blower regardless if budget isn't an issue as they feel a lot more fun on the street.

I would be pissed off to spend almost 40 grand on a car and have to do motor work to it just to be safe.

But your going to do work on either car anyway...

Don't let the thought of having to do the heads become a deterrent, even if you buy a Z and it's 100% perfect, your going to pull it apart for cam or other goodies right?

Or think of it this way, your going to buy a trouble free LS3, then dig into it anyway...

I gotcha. That's great insight by the way and much appreciated. I've only driven a handful of cars with superchargers and only one of those was a centrifugal (procharger). I really would be looking to make enjoyable and usable power for the street. Post supercharger I would love to land around 550whp +/-, which from the many builds I've seen looks to be pretty easily obtainable and almost standard for SC only.

Ok now Root style.... centrifugal.... Pd? What is Pd?!

550 rwhp will be easy to hit for sure, when I say PD I mean positive displacement ie a top mount style supercharger. That would be a roots or a twin screw.

I would be pissed off to spend almost 40 grand on a car and have to do motor work to it just to be safe.

But your going to do work on either car anyway...

Don't let the thought of having to do the heads become a deterrent, even if you buy a Z and it's 100% perfect, your going to pull it apart for cam or other goodies right?

Or think of it this way, your going to buy a trouble free LS3, then dig into it anyway...

Yes and no. The way I'm looking at it is I'm getting in at an entry level. If I get the GS cheap enough that I can SC it and not break the bank then I will. If not then I'll hang onto it in stock form for a little while and do it when I can. The z06 valve issue wouldn't bother me if I were able to buy one cheap enough, get that taken care of and still land at or below budget... I just don't think that'll happen. What I'm saying would piss me off is if I were to pay all the money for one and shortly after be forced to take care of the top end due to failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved boys... I bought an '06 c6z with 41k miles. Bone stock ls7, only has Borla cat back strapped to it. Can't wait to get familiar with it.

Very nice! It's the right color!!!

Don't listen to her! Her red C6 draws way too much unwanted attention from other drivers. :lol

My only gripe about the car, that wasn't disclosed up front, is the scuffs on the wheels. Anyone know what it would cost to have this reasonably straightened up?

That last one with the mess between the spokes is only on the one wheel.

post-2090-0-82028700-1411870122_thumb.jp

post-2090-0-48605400-1411870163_thumb.jp

post-2090-0-41073100-1411870192_thumb.jp