Engine Machine shop in the Valley

Billyray

Sorry I have not had any updates on the C3 rebuild but summer heat and family matters have put a stall on my project. With summer coming to a close I plan on finishing removing the body from the frame. Also after much consideration I have decided to have my engine rebuilt rather than buying a crate. Can anyone recommend a good machine shop in the valley?

Bromley's Corvettes

I have been using Five Star in Glendale for about 10 years. Chris is very good he can rebuild your original engine stock or make some nice up grades like head work bigger cam what ever you want. #623-939-0345

Bromley's Corvettes

You can go to flat tops and get comp up to about 9-3/4 or so and run good on 91 octane. Stock 80s have dish pistons and only like 8-1/4 to 1.

Bromley's Corvettes

The stock heads suck I would swap for early heads or after market alum would be real nice. If you go roller cam you can make a lot more power then stock. Lots of deals on SBC :)

Bromley's Corvettes

Are you going to use long tube headers and true dual exhaust and higher stall converter like a 2200 or 2500? :)

Bromley's Corvettes

Cool I would do a 3in X-pipe system on your vette if your looking to get the most power for the money:) 400h.p not hard these days on a 355c.i with good heads and cam and intake and carb and headers and exhaust. Have you checked out the Edbrock Performer RPM package it makes 435h.p 435 tq. Runs very well on 91 and has a great power band. Thats with a hyd cam if you up grade to Roller even more power.

Bromley's Corvettes

Depends what tires you run if they just spin when you get on it rear end might hold up for awhile. Heavy duty U-joints will help.

That is a question I still have not managed to answer do I want to change out the stock wheels? I love the look of the stock wheels. But I know that if I go with more power I will have trouble keeping the original size tires stuck to the ground. How much work and how expensive is it to put an earlier rear end on a 1980? I know that I would have to change the driveshaft and the axels, right? My problem is I am good with my hands but I am new to this.

The compression depends on what motor is in there, here's a quick guide. Standard 1980 motor, 180 and 190 HP, and some people say the Crossfire was lame at 200HP...really?! The 230HP motor has the same compression as an 82.

post-286-0-26164200-1410384250.jpg

post-286-0-14904800-1410384285.jpg

Bromley's Corvettes

Do a built 700R4 with a 2500 stall and you will have best of both. Low 306 first gear and a 70% over drive with lock up converter to cruise on highway at real low RPMs. :)

Your rear end ... axles, tires & wheels will be just fine ..... I ran TA radials on my stock rims for a long time .... and they do the job ...

Tranny ... like Doug said ... swap to a good 700R4 (early ... so you don't need a computer) ... and you're good to go ...

Engine ... you're block will do just fine ... Will want to do new heads & Intake.... OEM are quite restrictive .... a good set of 190/60cc heads, good intake (have em port matched) a good 650 double pumper .... you'll be rockin .... 9.7-9.8 compression .... all good on 91 fuel .... spec a good Lunati cam (hydraulic roller ... yeah its worth the money IMO) .... I believe both Tom & I did Pro 1 heads ,... with roller rockers .... ((( is that right Tom ?? ))) in our C3s (both computer tuned ... you won't need to go there )

unless you're doing more then just street/show use .... then we need to talk ...

Your rear end ... axles, tires & wheels will be just fine ..... I ran TA radials on my stock rims for a long time .... and they do the job ...

Tranny ... like Doug said ... swap to a good 700R4 (early ... so you don't need a computer) ... and you're good to go ...

Engine ... you're block will do just fine ... Will want to do new heads & Intake.... OEM are quite restrictive .... a good set of 190/60cc heads, good intake (have em port matched) a good 650 double pumper .... you'll be rockin .... 9.7-9.8 compression .... all good on 91 fuel .... spec a good Lunati cam (hydraulic roller ... yeah its worth the money IMO) .... I believe both Tom & I did Pro 1 heads ,... with roller rockers .... ((( is that right Tom ?? ))) in our C3s (both computer tuned ... you won't need to go there )

unless you're doing more then just street/show use .... then we need to talk ...

Yes, I have Dart Pro1 heads, CR 10.25. I have a data sheet on comparing dart heads, runner sizes vs. HP/trq on a SBC. I think a 180 runner would be great for what you want, but you could go to a 200 also, but not a lot of gain until the higher RPM range. If that's where your motor is going to live, go for it. Bigger is not always better. I can send it to you if you like. PM me an email address if interested.

Wow can't wait for the weather to change so the wife and I can finish disassembling the car (unfortunately I have a rust issue at the bottom of the bird cage due to a leaky heater core.) I had planned on a Kiesler 5 speed but I see they went out of business. From your inputs I have been looking on Craigslist for 700r4 and found a place that sells rebuilt trans for around $900. Is that price too good to be true?

Bromley's Corvettes

I can get you a deal on a kit with a Tremec 5-speed. I would not buy a 700R4 off CL for $900.00 lol.

• 3 months later...

Sorry I have not had an update, my sister and her family lost their house and I took them in. Between supporting them and storing all their stuff in my garage the money for the Vette has disappeared and I can’t even get in my garage. They should be moving to their new home in February then I can get back on my project. Thank you to all of you that have had input into my rebuild I am longing to start and unfortunately get mighty depressed when I look at anything related to my Vette, which is why I have stayed away from the ACE Forum.