MGW shifter install, help maybe

chas4570

Just found an almost new one generation back MGW shifter shipped for $215.00. Anyone here have any opinions on the unit. Also looking for someone that might be willing to lend a hand on the install if I purchase. I am used to four speeds from C2 and C3 cars. Just don't want to mess anything up. I also understand there is a copper washer mod to the shifter mechanism on the trans that improves feel.

Thank you for any info and willingness to help if needed.

Chas

Just found an almost new one generation back MGW shifter shipped for $215.00. Anyone here have any opinions on the unit. Also looking for someone that might be willing to lend a hand on the install if I purchase. I am used to four speeds from C2 and C3 cars. Just don't want to mess anything up. I also understand there is a copper washer mod to the shifter mechanism on the trans that improves feel.

Thank you for any info and willingness to help if needed.

Chas

I live in NW Mesa

I've done both to my car. For most people, teh washer mod is very simple, and then there is me. Teh shifter was a big improvement, but still not ideal. Teh washer trick made for a much nicer feel, but teh shifter will pop out of 4th gear on it's own from time to time (at least for me). Don't forget new mount bushings for your new shifter, or you'll get a shifter rattle. Other than that, teh only difficult part of teh swap is getting teh "demon-key" out. (that's teh little lock that's under teh shifter knob plate that locks teh knob on).

jandmenter

What year car? I'm in Chandler..Would take less then an hour and lunch!

jandmenter

Also..Which MGW shift does it have? 9/16 threaded or C6 GM shifter knob?

Also..Which MGW shift does it have? 9/16 threaded or C6 GM shifter knob?

Would be installing on an '04 and it has the threaded shaft.

Thank's for asking

Chas

Guest badbobs95

I've done both to my car. For most people, teh washer mod is very simple, and then there is me. Teh shifter was a big improvement, but still not ideal. Teh washer trick made for a much nicer feel, but teh shifter will pop out of 4th gear on it's own from time to time (at least for me). Don't forget new mount bushings for your new shifter, or you'll get a shifter rattle. Other than that, teh only difficult part of teh swap is getting teh "demon-key" out. (that's teh little lock that's under teh shifter knob plate that locks teh knob on).

You are so intelligent! :boobies:

You are so intelligent! :boobies:

Or not...

jandmenter

Shifter sold to another person on the big forum.