I have to brag

Bigfoot

Sometimes I wonder why I do what I do (teaching that is).

But today affirms why I think I made a good choice.

AIMS math results are out. My school had a 63% pass rate this year (an increase of 9% from last year).

Well, gee Sean, that's not so hot.

You're right, but here's why I say I'm in the right place:

My regular ed Geometry classes of 40 Sophomores had an 80% pass rate with 6 of them receiving an exceeding score.

My honors Geometry class of 26 Sophomores had a 100% pass rate (as they should), but 18/26 "exceeded."

That makes an overall average of 87.9% that I had pass on their first try.

I have more than 40 kids in the 2 regular classes, but they do no impact the sophomore class as several are repeating the class.

Some will say it's just a stupid standardized test, and to a point you're right. But to get them to be successful at anything these days is an accomplishment, especially in a low income area like the one I work in.

Yes, I'm patting myself on the back. :lol

Well done but if you had those kind of results then my math skills make me wonder what the other classes were to come up with an overall 63/64%? They had to have been in the high 40 to low 50 percent range.

Not to defend anything, but that overall score for the school does include a high population of ELL kids (English Language Learners from several refugee communities here) and special education kids that have not even had Alg 1 and Geometry yet.

Congrats, It takes a very special person to teach in an area like you are in. And you should be proud of what you have accomplished with your students.

You are making a difference keep up the good work.

Well done Sean. You deserve a pat-a-pat-pat on the back.

Where do you teach Sean? Just wondering as I referee all over town.

F22trainer

Teaching, if you do it right has rewards that are beyond words. Enjoy and pat away!

Where do you teach Sean? Just wondering as I referee all over town.

Glendale HS.

And thanks everyone. :yesnod

uncledibble

Its not bragging if you back it up! Good work doing something not many of us have the talent or patients to do anywhere near as successfully as you do! Hats off to you sir :clap

Guest badbobs95

Congrats, It takes a very special person to teach in an area like you are in. And you should be proud of what you have accomplished with your students.

You are making a difference keep up the good work.

I agree with Richard!!!!!! Great work.

Thanks again guys/gals.

I've been teaching now for 7 years...and those first few were really rough. Almost gave it up. Now I like to think that I am damn good at what I do. Am I the nicest teacher they have? Not by any means. I have kids that utterly hate me, but I also have kids that want me to teach their classes next year. It's always a double edged sword. :lol

Thanks again guys/gals.

I've been teaching now for 7 years...and those first few were really rough. Almost gave it up. Now I like to think that I am damn good at what I do. Am I the nicest teacher they have? Not by any means. I have kids that utterly hate me, but I also have kids that want me to teach their classes next year. It's always a double edged sword. :lol

No matter the job, people will hate you and love you...at least that's the way it goes for me...so keep gettin them thar kidz smarter.

I just had a girl come up to me to say thank you. She had been coming in for tutoring even though she was not one of my students. She passed and now can graduate.

Feels good. :yesnod

Unfortunately teachers don't hear those two words often enough!

Due to Sean's help, we can now go to a fast food place in Glendale, and get our correct change 87.9% of the time. Thanks Sean! J/K. I was a high school teacher myself, and I'm glad we continue to have caring people like yourself, willing to do a thankless job, and do it well. Nice work!