NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Track Days at INDE Motorsports Ranch

VenomOnWheels

VenomOnWheels

ProAutoSports racing is scheduled at INDE Motorsports Ranch near Wilcox on May 24 and 25. Who's going?

INDElogowhite_zps9657d4f2.jpg

Click here or on image to visit the Inde website

As a bonus for those not racing on Saturday, the 8th Annual Wilcox Rod and Classic Car Show will be happening from 8am to 3 pm. (Click here for flyer)

Me no got motor. Plus after Hunters events I have become a bit spoiled.

SLAMMER

VenomOnWheels

Me no got motor. . .

A common refrain with Chevy guys.

:sorry: for that comment. (Well, not really)

So run your truck, or rent a Vette.

Drewster67

Ill be there - with my Porsche only - not risking my brand new motor on the Z06 ...at least not yet.

VenomOnWheels

Ill be there - with my Porsche only - not risking my brand new motor on the Z06 ...at least not yet.

PM me a photo (or link) of your face and/or car so I can find you at the track. I'll probably stop by Saturday to just hang out and visit with folks for awhile. Running on Sunday.

VenomOnWheels

SLAM BAM Man: Yep. Got a 4x4 Ford F-150 Supercab with the turbo-charged V6 EcoBoost engine. We wanted a Ram, but the little V6 will outhaul the 5.7L hemi and can get 21 mpg cruising down the highway (without the trailer attached, of course). I did 22.5 mpg on one mostly level cruise running 70-75 mph.

I'll be going. Not sure if Sat or Sun. I like the track layout on Sunday with the house turn. Saturday is without the House. I like they are not running the eyebrow.

Tom is going on Sat.

This weekend we are running Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV. 2 weeks ago we ran Auto Club.... 140mph+ into turn 1 exit turn 2 over 125! Would like a day (Sat) to check over the car.

If I go on Sat. I can then go to my cabin on Sun and Mon.

Damn decisions!!!

VenomOnWheels

Dale: Who's hosting the event at Spring Mountain?

Drewster67

PM me a photo (or link) of your face and/or car so I can find you at the track. I'll probably stop by Saturday to just hang out and visit with folks for awhile. Running on Sunday.

Will do - normally Im down on grid working but float everywhere through out the day.

VenomOnWheels

Very nice video. That track should be a blast.

My video. There were lots of cars on track. The last 2 sessions were a cluster something. This is the 2nd session with some clear track. At one time we came over the hill before the 180 at 105 mph.

I was experimenting with different lines in a couple different corners.

. . .There were lots of cars on track. The last 2 sessions were a cluster something. . .

^^^ sadly, the reason I will probably never run at a Pro-Auto event again. Too much of a cluster**

I'll just wait for Hunter's next event. . .

. . .There were lots of cars on track. The last 2 sessions were a cluster something. . .

^^^ sadly, the reason I will probably never run at a Pro-Auto event again. Too much of a cluster**

I'll just wait for Hunter's next event. . .

That is really sad. You can learn a lot and it can be a lot of fun running through traffic.

I reviewed the video's, the traffic was not as bad as I had thought. I guess being stuck behind drag racers for several laps feels like a long time. We were also there on Saturday. We normally go Sunday and there is less traffic.

I talked to Hurley about the traffic. He admitted he should have split the orange and green group. nearly half the cars in orange did not pre register.

Drewster67

Running through traffic is the only way you are going to learn but with that being said. Sometimes it is a bit too much when there are so many cars on track.

Running through traffic is the only way you are going to learn but with that being said. Sometimes it is a bit too much when there are so many cars on track.

I disagree. Negotiating traffic is certainly part of it, but there is also learning how to pick the correct lines, cornering technique, throttle and braking technique, shift timing, skid recovery, etc.

Running through/with traffic is one thing, but sharing the track with excessive aggression coupled with mediocre driving skills and bad judgment is another thing entirely.

I learned the hard way that I can't trust the other drivers to follow what few rules there are and, unfortunately, there are apparently no specific skill sets or levels that must be accomplished or demonstrated before moving up in the groups. Not to mention some drivers aren't aware their car insurance is void at the track. . .

In my opinion, too many cars are allowed on the track at once. This leads to a situation where the faster drivers are held up and frustrated, and the slower drivers constantly have someone crawling up their back bumper.

To me, having to devote most of my concentration to accident avoidance is just not fun.

To me, having to devote most of my concentration to accident avoidance is just not fun.

Your still in the beginning stage of the learning curve. Where your very focused on the track mainly. As you become more comfortable and gain more seat time some things will become secondary. Situational awareness shouldn't be considered "Accident Avoidance" but just another item you need the scan through while you move around the track. I'm sure if you remember back when you first learned how to drive you may have thought there is SO much to pay attention to. By now you can control your car, the stereo and even remember the words to the song playing. You will continue to progress in your track awareness and skills of driving smoothly on the track. As I was told many times ITS ALL ABOUT SEAT TIME. you'll find your track experiences will help you be more aware on the Public Roadways too!!

SLAMMER

That"s all true, but when I was a new driver I didn't hop right on the L A freeways to learn.

I guess your just lucky growing up in Prescott. Although your missing the BIG picture. Or just fixated on your 1 bad day at the track. You learned something valuable. Now put it in focus and move ahead on your way to being a better driver.

SLAMMER

• 2 months later...

I disagree. Negotiating traffic is certainly part of it, but there is also learning how to pick the correct lines, cornering technique, throttle and braking technique, shift timing, skid recovery, etc.

Running through/with traffic is one thing, but sharing the track with excessive aggression coupled with mediocre driving skills and bad judgment is another thing entirely.

I learned the hard way that I can't trust the other drivers to follow what few rules there are and, unfortunately, there are apparently no specific skill sets or levels that must be accomplished or demonstrated before moving up in the groups. Not to mention some drivers aren't aware their car insurance is void at the track. . .

In my opinion, too many cars are allowed on the track at once. This leads to a situation where the faster drivers are held up and frustrated, and the slower drivers constantly have someone crawling up their back bumper.

Dunno how I missed this reply but let me try to better explain what I meant.

Everyone starts out as a new member in any track club and in doing so - you are taught the basic aspect of driving on track. Proper lines, the three fundamentals of the apex, braking, shifting points, closing ratio etc ... Concentrating on how to drive on the track, safely and at speed. This is where the instructor plays a monumental role. The comment you made regarding excessive aggression coupled with mediocre driving skills worries me. What club are you referring too? Most clubs - mainly the two I am most familiar with - do not tolerate aggressive drivers. Aggressive drivers are a liability in all senses. If a club allows a driver to run in a group above their skill set ...well that's just bad practice altogether. You also have to remember that if you see a problem child - report them to the officials - plain and simple. We cannot see everything that goes on on track and we encourage members to be active in communication with the officials. I have on more than once occasion talked to drivers who are being a safety issue to themselves and to other drivers.

They (track club) will also not allow a driver to advance into the next higher level until a check ride has been completed - Another way of testing out. One local club requires a log book for all DE sessions that you attend and the instructor must sign off either at the end of the session or day. No one is placed into a group if they cannot drive in it - simple as that. There have been multiple times over the years where members didn't want to move out the novice group because it was within their comfort zone. And we also have had drivers revert back to the previous groups just because it was out of there comfort zone - there is no shame in doing so,

Yes - you are correct that you cannot "trust" another driver - you must have the attitude to drive both offensively and defensively. In the same difference I tell my student NEVER follow the car in front of you - the main reason - if they do something wrong - you will do the same thing. Drive your own line - period. Listen to the instructor - period.

Cars on Track - Most track clubs will separate the faster drivers by groups. Regardless - there will always be a slower car in the fast group - that's just the way it is for all groups. (even for race cars as they have different classes running the same race) The things we tell the students are - hold your line - and let the faster cars by with a point by. Driver courtesy is a big part of making it fun for everyone. if you know a car is coming up - hold your line and let them by. Now if traffic is real bad - you can pull into the hot pits or grid then wait for a clear section to go back out. Unfortunately some drivers tend to forget this and occasionally need a subtle reminder.

Truth be know - there is a cap on how many cars can be on the track at one time - it all depends on the track and club.

Insurance - there is track insurance for DE events - has been for awhile - it is up to the driver to be informed of their insurance policy will cover on track incidences.. Anytime someone puts the car on track - you take a chance - we all know this.

I hope your next track experience is a great one - once the initial learning curve diminishes and you find your comfort zone - its a blast. I know you stated you will never drive a ProAuto Event again and I apologize if your last experience was less than par but if you change your mind and if I can help you out with personal instructing - I will work with you every session.

Free of charge. :)

Thanks

Drew ;)

Hey Drew,

I appreciate the thoughtful response. You make some good points. I understand the ‘defensive’ part of driving on the track – bad stuff can happen, driver miscalculations, mechanical failure, debris on the track, spin outs, etc., and every driver has to watch out around them at all times. However, it's not possible to drive with all focus in the rear view mirrors every second, and being driven into from behind on my blind side while holding my line in a corner was a bit unexpected. I had my mentor in the car with me that day; I was following instructions and holding my line. Then there was this terrible crunching sound. . .

My bad experience was with Pro Auto in the orange group. I have been back to a track since then at INDE with Desert Street Cars. That was an absolute blast. I plan to go back the next event they have when the weather is cooler.

As for Pro Auto, I might consider going back for one of the Mondo events – maybe.

I appreciate your encouragement and offers of instruction.

Hi Donna -

In your example that driver should of made a clean pass way before the braking zone and should of been reported to the officials - I get really pissed off at drivers who try and dive bomb/pass after the braking zone. One thing I would suggest is to NOT look in the rear view mirror - this is a habit hard to brake for some drivers. Like a game of chess you need to plan your next move before you get there. One should always be looking down the track and not in the mirrors. (Sorry for track 101 talk .. lol)

Any hoot - I am glad to hear you went back out onto the track - and you have a great time. :) If you ever do come out to a ProAuto event again - look me up and say Hi! :)

Have a geat day -

Drew