How can you trust anything a dealer says?

HarleyPat

Over the past four months I've had bad experiences with dealer service both here and in L.A.

While in CA I smelled gas in my garage but couldn't see any spots or leaks. When I got back to AZ I brought it in to Gateway and they said there was a leak in the crossover between the tanks. Hell, I didn't even know there were two tanks! They had to drop the tanks to find and fix it. Read expensive! In doing so the sId they found a bad sensor. Ok...fix it. About a week later I'm back in CA and fill up my tank(s) and start the car...gas gauge reads zero and 'check fuel system' light is on. So I bring it to the local dealer there...you know...the one that supports the Simi Valley. Corvette Club that I joined about a year ago. They tell me the other sensor is bad. Again...read expensive labor! Get that fixed ....drive back to AZ thinking everything is now fine. Driving back to CA and i notice the range has said 140 miles for about a half hour. All of a sudden in the middle of nowhere the gauge goes to zero and the 'check fuel system' light comes back on. I have no idea how much gas I have left and sweat it til the next station. I make it with .2 gallons left! Back to the CA dealer...another week in the shop and this time they fix the problem.

Get back to AZ and need service and tires. Gateway does service and puts the Michelins I asked for on the car..so I thought. I get home and look at the tires..non run flat A\S 3s! Back to Gateway the next morning...Michelins are not available anywhere...so I'm told...but we have the Goodyears...no, I don't care for those...get me the Firestone Firehawks.

Is it me ?

uncledibble

With my diesel pick up and my corvette or other cars unless it is a warranty issue nobody else can address I STAY AWAY from the dealer. Their techs can have all the patches and certification in the world but its my opinion the best techs work in private shops. CPR for the LS motors and Bartling Enterprises for all diesel work. Since I started this philosophy life is better. NO DEALER BS.

I found the private Shops with a specialty usualy are the most honest, because they need you as a return client whereas the Dealerships have new car customers on a constant basis.

I have always stayed away from the dealers with the Porsche's and it has worked out very well.

Just would like a person or place on the west side to work on the Vett, Tempe and Mesa are always harder to get to from here.

Desertdawg

Dealerships are for warranty work, after that your probably going to get bent.

I would contact a GM rep about your repeated repairs, it should have been fixed the first time then the followup repeat repairs are free!

Dealerships are for warranty work, after that your probably going to get bent!

I'm so parinoid that work will be done half ass now from just about everyone!! Very little pride in workmanship left these days. How many mistakes do you accept. Then to find out further down the road that the repair work was sloppily done and caused further damage or a new problem all together. I for one would like to be treated the way I treat my customers. There does not seem to be any accountability any more. I'm truely F'in sick of paying for "PROFESSIONAL SERVICE" and getting some half assed sorry excuse as to why it's not their fault or some other LAME excuse. Frankly it's often difficult or impossible to check if the repairs are done correctly. Time will always tell. Some time in the future the SHABBY workmanship will be discovered!!! IT GETS MY BLOOD BOILING JUST TO THINK OF ALL THE TIMES I PAYED PROFESSIONALS WHO DIDNT LIVE UP TO THE STANDARDS OF REASONABLE CONSCIENTIOUS WORK!!!!!

SLAMMER

This opinion is based on my 7 year experience while owning my current Corvette. In shops both large and small in California and Arizona. To be fair not everyone of my experiences ended up negatively. JUST REMEMBER...taking your car in for repairs or modifications. CAN DEFINITELY BE A GAMBLE.

Richard...I'm in Buckeye and I'm with you...we need somebody trustworthy on the West Side

Dwayne...the dealer in CA did fix everything at no charge after it failed a second time

Tim...I feel your pain...nobody takes responsibility for anything anymore ....the person who ordered my tires didn't check if they were run flats..the installers of the tires said the parts counter told them tires were in so they installed and never questioned...the service writer never checked before he called me..what would have happened if I hadn't checked and headed back to CA and had a flat in the middle of nowhere? Guess they would have said they were sorry.

I'm out of warranty so I definitely need an independent mechanic.

MidNiteFury01

Its unforunate skilled mechanics are paid on a labor rate basis. If the GM shop manual says it should take a mechanic 3 hours do to so, and he does it in 2.00, he banked 1 hour at which point he can bring in the next car to essentially double dip on that time. Everything they do is coded and as such it indicates how long it should take them to do a job. Thier pay is based on the total job labor rate accumulated per week. More accumulated labor rate hours the higher thier take home pay.

I've always referred to them as Stealerships... standard warranty work or emissions warranties (1995 & Newer Vehicles) only.

Extender32

Next time, I would go to Discount Tire and order the ones you want. I have used Yates Buick/GMC in Goodyear for the past 14 yrs on all service related items and I have a good rapport with not only a service advisor but also the owner and owners son. Plus they do have a certified vette mech on duty, just talk to Shane and he'll ensure their Vette guy looks at your car.

Desertdawg

If the GM shop manual says it should take a mechanic 3 hours do to so, and he does it in 2.00, he banked 1 hour .

I've always seen the other end of that, if it says 3 and it takes 4 then you get sloppy work because now they are behind.

And if your next in line they now rush your repair to catch up on thier hours!

I've used Yates a few times with the company trucks, the C3 and C5 went there once or twice and teh new chevy truck went in last month for minor issues. Shane is cool and has been there for a long time.

Of course we also have Ed around here somewhere too, he takes care of ACE members!

Ed who? .......damn Stealerships!

Don't sweat it, they bad mouth their banks too right up til they need em!

MidNiteFury01

If the GM shop manual says it should take a mechanic 3 hours do to so, and he does it in 2.00, he banked 1 hour .

I've always seen the other end of that, if it says 3 and it takes 4 then you get sloppy work because now they are behind.

And if your next in line they now rush your repair to catch up on thier hours!

Agreed. Thats kinda where I was going with that, but in not in such a succint way. Eitherway its not a good way to have quality work as it puts the mechanic in a position to comprimise on his/her quality for a living. On the flip side, if they don't work that way it could take them two weeks to change your oil...

I like the private shops, usually more accountability and quality to the work, since they know they depend on you & your friends for thier business.

It continues to amaze me the number of cars that come through our shop with the line "we just had this or that done" especially, we just rebuilt the engine" and to see the work that had been done ........

I'm am so happy to be associated with a guy who totally believes in only doing something right the first time ... and has probably learned that because so many of our projects are shipped somewhere upon completion .... final drives and inspections are so important to the process .... and I'm not certain why that important step doesn't happen at too many shops .......

Hopefully the shops we have here on ACE get that and we can continue to get excellent work from these guys ....

From my personnel experience with my C5s, Classic Gold, Top Gear Motorsports have been the bomb .... ((( as was LPM, RIP ))) ....

As of late .... Extreme Motorsports has been very helpful in our LS resto-rods coming through the shop ...........

Bromley's Corvettes

It continues to amaze me the number of cars that come through our shop with the line "we just had this or that done" especially, we just rebuilt the engine" and to see the work that had been done ........

I'm am so happy to be associated with a guy who totally believes in only doing something right the first time ... and has probably learned that because so many of our projects are shipped somewhere upon completion .... final drives and inspections are so important to the process .... and I'm not certain why that important step doesn't happen at too many shops .......

Hopefully the shops we have here on ACE get that and we can continue to get excellent work from these guys ....

From my personnel experience with my C5s, Classic Gold, Top Gear Motorsports have been the bomb .... ((( as was LPM, RIP ))) ....

As of late .... Extreme Motorsports has been very helpful in our LS resto-rods coming through the shop ...........

No kidding I cant believe how many cars had just had work done and its so messed up it needs to redone to make the car right. I hear it all the time this was just done I paid this much at this other shop so it should not need much lol. Its sad how many times the customer has over paid for very low quality work. I have had customers bring me the paper work from other shops and some things on the list where not even done. I am working on a 75 vert that was worked on from a big shop out of state. Customer just had brake work done and they left a cotter pin out of a brake pad pin so the pads where grinding into the rotor. It messed up caliper and pads and rotor.

joe@cpr.com

The flat rate pay really sucks. That's why my guys are pure hourly, I don't care if a job books for 4 hours and it takes them 5. They still get paid but I boll the 4 hours. On some jobs it may book for 10 but we can do it correctly and effectively in 9 I bill 9.best example is gas tanks, if the car is a manual I am far less than the dealer as I bill real time not book.

I know a guy on the west side......

But would you recommend him? lol!

If you can do something yourself, there's a lot to be said about that and you have nobody to blame for any mistakes, but yourself. Like Tim, I absolutely HATE to pay for so called "Professional Service" and get subpar maintenance and a huge bill with the added ass pain of having to either take it somewhere else or do it yourself. I only take stuff that needs repair to places that I trust, which are few now or I can't do it and/or don't have the equipment to do it myself. Time seems to be my enemy mostly now-a-days. :(

In my personel experience, I've heard people talk a big game, but they really have no clue what they are talking about and will replace everything under the sun and still not fix the root cause or say something like..."see it's fixed now"! Well, if you replaced every part just short of replacing the motor, odds are you'll replace the bad part. I guess that's some peoples idea of trouble shooting. Shotgun maintaenance, then comes that huge bill. :facepalm:

Like also said earlier, nobody takes pride in there work or responsiblity anymore for there subpar work and huge under estimates, it's now with some excepations the norm which is sad for the consumer. I say, do the work yourself or have friends help out. Hey wait a minute, isn't that how ACE started out? Wow! What a concept. :thumbs

BTW...I'm redoing my complete interior again. Anyone wanna get some hands on? Will either be spraying or rolling down some Lizardskin ceramic as well.

Can't help but wonder if a couple of bottles of Techron would have fixed those "issues" with the sensors

corvettech

Can't help but wonder if a couple of bottles of Techron would have fixed those "issues" with the sensors

I've had luck with that method about 20% of the time. im not sure if the problem was fixed from the techron or the price to replace the fuel level sensors just scared them away, either way techron is a pretty cheap bet to start with and its not like it would hurt anything

Azmotorhead

Does everything per Maint Manual and has a awesome set of tools so yeah I would trust him.

Final Effort

And yes I would recommend that Westside guy.

Never thought this would generate so much discussion but I should have known better. You guys are always willing to help with any issue...it's why I love being part of ACE!

Of course the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car was no longer on effect. I usually don't buy an extended warranty but since I bought the car used I thought it was a good idea. They always seem to run out just before you need them!

I have never purchased tires from a dealer before. I've always gone to someplace like Discount Tires or Tires Direct. Only did it this time to save time....learned my lesson!

Thanks again for all your input ...wish I had the skills to do some of the work myself but as I've said before...if you see me going near my car with any tool whatsoever, you have permission to wrestle me to the ground!

Does everything per Maint Manual and has a awesome set of tools so yeah I would trust him.

Also has access to Aerospace quality hardware...... just sayin...LOL!