Vented hood for C6

I am considering going with a vented hood for my 2011 Grandsport. Reasons - heat dissipation and hopefully less lift at speed. I'd like some thoughts from members, please.

What have you guys used or seen that is functional?

Thanks,

Chris

I have had one for a few years and am very happy with my decision. Shipping cost are unreasonable though. I used a crinkle finish bed liner to undercoat the inside of the hood as the manufacture did very little to have the underside look as nice as the outer surface.

post-1350-0-09808700-1399758698_thumb.jp

post-1350-0-96150500-1399758894_thumb.jp

SLAMMER

Slammer, thank-you for your feedback. That looks awesome May I ask a few questions and please feel free to PM me if that is more appropriate for responses to my questions.

How was the fitment as delivered?

Any need for fender and bumper adjustments or was it an OEM fit? I have read every thread on the, "Big Board" and understand there are some manufacturers that do not make the grade.

Manufacturer, please?

Carbon fiber or not?

All vents open?

I do subscribe to the buy once, cry once school of mods. Yours looks very much like a functional hood. Are all the vents open, rain guard or not?Would you buy this one again or do you have another you'd go with? Prices on some of these are half the cost of forced induction so any feedback is appreciated.

Much respect,

Chris

Desertdawg

hopefully less lift at speed.

Since I've seen 180, I have to ask, at what speed did you see lift?

I've experienced no lift or undesirable traits at speed!

hopefully less lift at speed.

Since I've seen 180, I have to ask, at what speed did you see lift?

I've experienced no lift or undesirable traits at speed!

I felt real stable and planted when I was that high and every time north of 170. When you were at 180, was that before the wide body? How close have you been since?

I'm asking because the OP has a GS and I've never heard of any wide body LS3 cars above 160.

Guys,

I got lift at an indicated 146 (on an approved track of course, not). I honestly am not sure if it was the tires that came with the car

Michelin Pilot Sports (unknown age, tread depth at center is great but edges look well used) or the width of the car. I have driven at 170 indicated but not in this car. Factory spec. says the car will do it 180 plus but I did not feel planted at that velocity.

HOXXOH - can you please give me any more information on that hood?

Chris

Desertdawg

180 narrow body, I chickened out before the car ran out of go.

165 wide body, and was still accelerating, now you have me wanting to go out and push it again.

I wonder if the lack of a splitter on mine affects aerodynamics that much.

Chris, are you saying the front of the car lifted, like trying to leave the ground? Or just the hood was budging?

Desertdawg, on 11 May 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

180 narrow body, I chickened out before the car ran out of go.

165 wide body, and was still accelerating, now you have me wanting to go out and push it again.

I wonder if the lack of a splitter on mine affects aerodynamics that much.

Chris, are you saying the front of the car lifted, like trying to leave the ground? Or just the hood was budging?

Desert Dawg,

Front of car got so light that steering input was not feeling planted on the road. Yes, on front end flex (hood). I'd go with a splitter but not until Maricopa County paves this stretch of dirt road I live on, lol.

Chris

PS thinking the venting of hood could be a two for one. Just do not want to spend money for a poorly constructed replacement hood.

Slammer, thank-you for your feedback. That looks awesome May I ask a few questions and please feel free to PM me if that is more appropriate for responses to my questions.

How was the fitment as delivered?

Any need for fender and bumper adjustments or was it an OEM fit? I have read every thread on the, "Big Board" and understand there are some manufacturers that do not make the grade.

Manufacturer, please?

Carbon fiber or not?

All vents open?

I do subscribe to the buy once, cry once school of mods. Yours looks very much like a functional hood. Are all the vents open, rain guard or not?Would you buy this one again or do you have another you'd go with? Prices on some of these are half the cost of forced induction so any feedback is appreciated.

Much respect,

Chris

It is carbon fiber, didn't have any problems with fitment issues. I never had to move the fenders or make any adjustments. All vents/louvers are one-hundred percent operational I would not use the rain gutter option because it restricts airflow to engine area. As I had said earlier the underside finish is not nearly paint grade ready so I used that crinkle finish bedliner spray which turned out really nice. I was looking at the fiberglass one originally I think that runs out at about $1800 and THEY screw your for $500 for shipping and box fee.

Here is the link;

https://www.corvettemods.com/mobile/C6-Corvette-05-13-ACP-World-Challenge-Hood_p_9947.html

Yes I would recommend and purchase this hood again.

SLAMMER

Slammer,

I really appreciate the feedback on this hood. Looks like a perfect mod for my GS.

Thank-you,

Chris

Guys,

I got lift at an indicated 146 (on an approved track of course, not). I honestly am not sure if it was the tires that came with the car

Michelin Pilot Sports (unknown age, tread depth at center is great but edges look well used) or the width of the car. I have driven at 170 indicated but not in this car. Factory spec. says the car will do it 180 plus but I did not feel planted at that velocity.

HOXXOH - can you please give me any more information on that hood?

Chris

You might have had more of a tire issue than an aero problem. Although lacking the splitter may have allowed enough air under the car to cause lift too.

My only aero changes are removing the door handles and the chicklets. I did remove the rear hood seal for a little extra cooling, but it's real minor.