Once in a Lifetime Experience

Eddie44

This morning I was part of a group that got to tour the Ron Pratt car collection.

You probably remember the name if you attend or watch the Barrett Jackson Auctions. He is the guy that bought the 1950 GM Futurliner for $4.5m a couple years ago. That is on display in the collection. Virtually every car in the collection has some historical significance. The very first Ford Thunderbird. The MG that Carroll Shelby raced before he hit the big time. The first Ford GT built. The vin 001 60th Anniversary Corvette. I could go on and on.

One of my old bosses is a neighbor of Pratt's and arranged the tour. When we got there he had a Ford Tri Motor airplane out on the runway prepping to fly to its new home.

Unfortunately one of the restrictions we had was no pictures. Here are some off the Internet just to give you an idea how huge the collection is. I would guess his collection of peddle cars easily exceeds the value of my total net worth.

post-19-0-96715300-1399401519.jpg

post-19-0-59902100-1399401548.jpg

post-19-0-17906600-1399401575.jpg

post-19-0-15964100-1399401599.jpg

post-19-0-32577300-1399401620.jpg

post-19-0-01224600-1399401653.jpg

Buccaneer

Thats awesome! Let me know if he "arranges" another tour, I'm in, if I'm off.

my boss/friend Mark (owner of VI) has been invited to join a group of collectors that we do a lot of work for on Thursday for a tour .... he's really looking forward to it ......... very envious indeed ........... Glad you got to enjoy it Ed !!!

Very nice, Some people are just Lucky......

Guest badbobs95

You lucky guy you! I also have a collection of aches and pains but not worth much I guess. :at wits end:

You lucky guy you! I also have a collection of aches and pains but not worth much I guess. :at wits end:

nothin I want to see fer sure !!!!!!!!!! :hang:

Final Effort

Can you say where it's at? I'm guessing somewhere in Chandler?

Can you say where it's at? I'm guessing somewhere in Chandler?

Stellar Airpark at McClintock and Chandler Blvd. I said it was a real shame that it's not open to the public. He has a fortune just in the building he built especially to house the collection, let alone the money just in cars and memorabilia.

eddie why no pictures? Just wondering.

security? insurance?

if he gives a tour, then I wonder if he qualify as a non profit museum -ish. and therefore manipulates the taxes.

..just curious.

thanks for sharing.

The guy who arranged the tour said he'd never heard why no pics but we all assumed security and or insurance. Maybe not just the cars as much as where and how alarms are positioned, where cameras are focused and maybe just interior layout. Similar to the banks I've worked for don't allow pics in their branches.

I doubt the tax angle because this group was just retired cops, no charity involved. I'm guessing insurance again. If you control access there's less chance of a thief getting in.

az57chevy

I went a few years ago and could take pictures. He must have moved because he wasn't at Stellar then. Barrett-Jackson announced in January that he was selling. By my guess he owns the most cars built by Boyd Coddington in one site.

This building is very new so I'm sure he's moved in the last couple years. We heard he's selling too but I can't imagine how. If he sells at one auction the market would be flooded and prices would tumble. If he sells the collection intact who would have the money?

Desertdawg

Did you get to sit in any of them naked ???

Dawg, only you (well and maybe Chad) would day dream about Eddie sitting naked in a car!!!! That thought had never crossed my mind! :facepalm:

Dawg, only you (well and maybe Chad) would day dream about Eddie sitting naked in a car!!!! That thought had never crossed my mind! :facepalm:

It did now...and I bet you liked it. :smilelol

It did now...and I bet you liked it. :smilelol

Please, I'm trying to eat breakfast!!! :ack

I did get close enough to fart in the window of the #1 Ford GT :lol

Bromley's Corvettes

Eddie thats right down the street from my shop you should have stopped by we could have gone to lunch:) I saw that building being built. Its huge and fancy very nice lay out. I would love to see in side sometime and be his maintenance mechanic lol.

Eddie thats right down the street from my shop you should have stopped by we could have gone to lunch:) I saw that building being built. Its huge and fancy very nice lay out. I would love to see in side sometime and be his maintenance mechanic lol.

I seriously thought about stopping but I had a passenger. I told the guy that arranged the tour that I'd retire tomorrow if he'd just let me come and wipe down the cars daily. He wouldn't even have to pay me.

chevyguy1969

I work just around the corner from your shop might stop by one day after work.

Bromley's Corvettes

I seriously thought about stopping but I had a passenger. I told the guy that arranged the tour that I'd retire tomorrow if he'd just let me come and wipe down the cars daily. He wouldn't even have to pay me.

I would not mind having a tour someday:)