Ted...are you investigating this?

Bigfoot

Final Effort

Question for any LEO.

Why when an Impairment is the reason for the crash.

Thay also say speed may also be involved. Isn't speed a result of the impairment? Just like going left of center or failure to stop?

They are separate violations though. You can speed wo being drunk and vice versa. You can run a red light wo speeding or being drunk.

While I can't speak to specifics in this case, here is an answer. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted research into how to detect DUI drivers based upon observed activities.

Read this link: http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/808677.pdf

Specifically, pages 5 and 9. Of the 24 driving cues of impaired driving, speeding above the limit is not considered to be directly linked to DUI. Impairment (by drugs, alcohol, or meds) can be a factor in a crash. Speeding can be another factor. They can (somewhat independently) both be present. Every case is different.

Quicksilver98

Impaired by cell phone no doubt......so many people drivin in a coma while using them. Scary out there!

Impaired by cell phone no doubt......so many people drivin in a coma while using them. Scary out there!

^^^This^^^

It's amazing to watch a light turn green theses days and seeing people sit at them while everyone else takes off...phookin heads buried in their phones.

Final Effort

Ted; Back in the old days I had a friend who had a cousin who had a friend. And in his case it was automatic if drinking = Going fast.

With some very good DUMB LUCK never had an incidents. While I'm not a crash expert, But I have stayed at Holiday Inns,

I still say DUI results in speed. ( speeding above the limit is not considered to be directly linked to DUI ) .

As in the old saying " 12 pack of canned courage " .

I also spent 12 yrs on a Fire/Rescue unit and got to see the results. IMHO

During my LE days I arrested more than one drunk that was going dangerously under the speed limit. If they are aware of their condition it can make them overly cautious.

Bromley's Corvettes

Something needs to be done about texting. I see it all the time I ride average of 30k a year all over az. I have had close calls from people texting did not see me tried to come into my lane or cut in front off. I had a teen girl texting bump me at a red light I was lucky it was low speed and I let off brake right away so I just rolled forward a little and no one in front of me. I had just looked behind me saw her coming but the light was about to change so i looked forward and she bumped me. She was like sorry lol. I also see people all over the road and you get close to them and they have both hands on there phone on the wheel usually going way under the speed limit. I always try and get around them as soon as I can. I had a teen girl pass me on freeway real close I was in HOV lane going 80. She must have been going 95 + texting lol. All the other lanes where wide open she had to get real close to me hauling ass for no reason;(

During my LE days I arrested more than one drunk that was going dangerously under the speed limit. If they are aware of their condition it can make them overly cautious.

I've always thought this too Eddie.

When my daughter was 15, she was pulled over at 5:30 pm in rush hour. The cop thought she must be drunk because she was being cautious. The situation scared her to death and it took me forever to get her comfortable again on the road. Mesa cops overkill here. Grrrrr.