Need some help from the Tech gurus

Ted Y

I was driving home today and I heard a clunk followed by some rough running. I was just around the corner from home so I pulled into the garage.

I was surprised to find this. Pep Boys sold me this universal replacement, but I was wondering if I should go with the GM OEM part. It doesn't look right.

Can anyone help?

Posted Image

Clearly not prepared with 3-in-one oil and gauze pads....

Okay okay what the hell is it that I'm looking at Ted? Seriously what is it? SLAMMER

A little help please maybe the location of where the part came from. SLAMMER

Okay okay what the hell is it that I'm looking at Ted? Seriously what is it? SLAMMER

Dude...you better know, your car has at lease 2 of them. While your motor is out I'd be checkin them. Easier with the moter removed for sure.

Grape Ape

I have used that glock lube on these before when they told me they were heading south. Try some of that stuff as I'm sure you have some with all the guns you have...

My guess is the muffler. SLAMMER. GEEZE TED, I thought my underside of the Vette was dirty. Yours looks pretty bad!

Needle bearing flashbacks...... If I never saw another needle bearing in my life, I would be okay with that.

Desertdawg

Teh fitzenphelter valve modification would have saved those muffler bearings....

I keep a spare one of those on the shelf in my garage. Its next all my wood working stuff where I keep an assorted box of knots

Needle bearing flashbacks...... If I never saw another needle bearing in my life, I would be okay with that.

That's what the clamp is for on the replacement bearing.

corvettech

use a liberal amount of elbow grease to lube up the muffler bearing, and check the buffalo clips inside the turbo encabulator just to be sure the dingle arm magnetic reluctance is within spec. :nerd:

Bromley's Corvettes

Ted I have a bunch of those hear at the shop. I have pulled lots of them off cars that Bubba has worked on lol. You can have them free just let everyone know where they can get more if they need one:)

SpeedyChase

Ted, no doubt it, if it were my car I would only use GM replacement muffler bearings. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Soak your muffler bearings overnight in a pan of Marvel Mystery Oil and that will fix 'em right up.