Any Subaru WRX experts/owners on here?

Quicksilver98

Quicksilver98

My stepdaughter has a 2002 with about 119k miles on it. She had to have it towed home today. She said she was driving along turning into a parking lot and bang just shut off and wouldnt start again. I get home and start looking around. I see that one of the plastic covers on the front of the engine is all cracked and broken. I took the cover off and its the cover over the timing belt and pulleys....Turns out one of the crappy plastic cam gears completely disingrated and the timing belt flew off and busted up the cover. Sooooooo the million dollar question is.....what are the chances that no internal engine damage occured in this incident? Is there a way of checking, short of engine dissassembly, before she spends 300-400 on the belt and pulley kit with a new water pump? I hate cars with timing belts and plastic crap gears.....Give me a metal timing chain and gears anyday! I would love to kick the engineer in the nuts that first came up with that Idea!

old yeller

Doesn't Hunter in Tucson own something similar?

Azmotorhead

Call the local Subi dealer and ask them if that particular motor is a inteference motor.

If it is...your pulling the head

The engine is an interference engine. A buddy of mine had a gear break. It didn't have any piston damage, but he did have to replace a bunch of valves. I'm sorry to say it's head pulling time.

Sounds like Subaru recommends replacing timing belts at 100k miles. Several people on boards say to do it at 80k miles is safer. Did she ever have the original replaced?

It could be an expensive lesson in the importance of maintenance schedules and not waiting for a breakdown.

Quicksilver98

She was told the timing belt was replaced by previous owner/dealer and the belt itself looked in really good shape. I didnt see any cog teeth missing and they all appear to be nice and deep without worn rounded edges....However I don't know if the cam pulleys were replaced as well like they should have been and thats what failed. I'll post pictures of whats left of it when I get a chance.

When those things go, they go quick and sometimes without a visual clue, I doubt the cam gears even have a service interval. I had a 93 Ranger, service interval on the timing belt was 60K as I recall, replaced that sucker 3 times before selling it

Quicksilver98

Well, discovered that the plastic gear was the symptom not the cause...The cause was this little Sum bitch.

post-883-0-22858000-1399262363_thumb.jpg

Which caused this to happen

post-883-0-89868100-1399262410_thumb.jpg

Still sorting out the damage... but putting a fiber optic camera down into each cylinder through the spark plug hole and there is not one mark of any kind on top of any of the pistons. If a valve were to even kiss the piston lightly you would think there would be a semicirce mark or some kind of indication. I can see a light carbon coating on each piston top and not a event a scratch in it. Who knows....maybe she got lucky. Got some parts on order and will do compression check and go from there.

corvettech

you can try and do a clt test on each cylinder to see if the valves are sealing, but im going to guess that theres at least one that got in a fight with the piston and lost.

Quicksilver98

Now for the bad news......Got the pulleys and belt replaced and did a compression test. Got 1 cylinder that has 0 compression. The other 3 measure about the same 95lbs or so. So looks like she wasn't so lucky. Looks like the head(s) must come off but I don't know if I want to tackle that mess. Problem is she still owes 4 or 5 grand on it and has no other mode of transportation besides borrowing her mothers car. SOB....I don't need this shit now!

corvettech

that bites, this probably doesn't help but at least just one of the heads has to come off?