• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoccoC5

• jmxp69

• LastC3

• joe@cpr.com

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread. I enjoy reading it. Keep it up.

Thanks! When I'm done, I think my car will be deserving of a detail! :cheers:

Great thread. I enjoy reading it. Keep it up.

Thanks! When I'm done, I think my car will be deserving of a detail! :cheers:

Sure, but take me for a ride afterward.

Desertdawg

Loving the updates, and teh dog thinks your nuts, thats why he stays out of the garage!

DAY NINE - CAM SWAP (2 hours)
Woo fricken hoo, I finally installed the new camshaft tonight. :bannana4: Didn't take me long, just had to remove the rocker arms, pushrods, and cam retainer plate, then pulled out the old cam and slid in the new one. Easier than I thought!
Only ran into a couple of scares tonight. First, when installing the new, freshly oiled camshaft, I bumped it into the dirty condenser and rained dirt all over the cam. :ahhhh: Then, when installing the cam retainer plate, I dropped one of the bolts into the oil pan. Luckily I was able to retrieve it with a pen magnet. :yesnod
Rocker arms, begging to be removed:
rockers.jpg
Passenger side done!
rockers2.jpg
Driver side rockers removed:
rockers3.jpg
Removed the four 10mm bolts securing the cam retainer plate and slid in my 5/16" wood dowels to keep the lifters in place:
cam.jpg
JAM CAM ready for action!
cam2.jpg
Old cam on it's way out. Headlamp for the win!
cam3.jpg
Hmm, looks like a bit of copper showing through on bearing number one? I searched the interwebs and found that this is actually pretty common and perhaps nothing to worry about? What say you?
cam4.jpg
New camshaft on it's way home (again, headlamp for the win :)):
cam5.jpg
The old cam didn't look bad. No scoring or grooves. Does this wear pattern look OK for a cam with 100K+ miles?
cam6.jpg
Just a couple of random beers tonight to keep my nerves calm during the cam install...
beers.jpg
Up next: install timing set and oil pump; install balancer and pin crank. :partydj:

Great photos and write-up . Good to see someone doing their own work, wish I could...

DAY TEN - TIMING SET AND OIL PUMP (2 hours)
I didn't get a whole lot done tonight, unfortunately. Just had time to install the timing set and new oil pump.
The new crank gear is keyed in three positions to offer +/- 2 degrees of cam advance/retard (I installed it in the factory position):
crankgear.jpg
What's for dinner? Crank gear!
oven.jpg
Okay, so heating the gear to 225 for 20 minutes didn't help. I ended up pressing it on with my homemade balancer installer and the old gear:
crankgear2.jpg
Here is the cam gear, chain, and some ARP bolts. This set included a thrust bearing for the back of the cam gear:
timingset.jpg
Installed and lined up:
timingset2.jpg
On to the oil pump. I went with a GM LS6 unit:
oilpump.jpg
The included blue o-ring was a bit thicker than the one I removed, but with a little oil it slipped onto the pickup tube and into the pump without a fuss. Oil pump installed:
oilpump2.jpg
That does it for tonight! Next time I plan to get the timing cover and new balancer on, and then pin that SOB! At this rate, I should be done in a few months! :rolf

Great photos and write-up . Good to see someone doing their own work, wish I could...

Thanks! I'm not actually sure I can do my own work either! We'll see how it turns out! :D

Azmotorhead

I have to ask since we don't see it. Did you align the oil pump or just bolt it on?

Also are you using alignment tools to align the front and rear covers?

If not done properly you will have oil leaks from those seals.

I have to ask since we don't see it. Did you align the oil pump or just bolt it on?

Also are you using alignment tools to align the front and rear covers?

If not done properly you will have oil leaks from those seals.

Thanks for mentioning this. I do have a tool to align the front cover, but was unaware that the oil pump needed to be aligned. What's the proper procedure for this?

Also, maybe you can answer this for me: when installing the timing cover, should I use some RTV along the full length of the bottom of the cover, or just the corners where the pan intersects the block? I've read it both ways and want to do it right the first time.

Thanks for the help!

Rite on Phil !!! True ACEhole .... through & through !!! :rockon2::rockon2:

F22trainer

Many thanks to Phil (Azmotorhead) for stopping by to help me align my oil pump! :thankyou:

Rite on Phil !!! True ACEhole .... through & through !!! :rockon2::rockon2:

Phil rocks the house!

DAY ELEVEN - TIMING COVER AND BALANCER (1.5 hours)
I only had a couple of hours to work on the car tonight, but it was enough to get the timing cover and balancer in place and ready for pinning. I'm really looking forward to Memorial Day weekend so I can put in a bunch of time and hopefully get this thing fired up!
I cleaned up the timing cover mating surfaces and placed a bead of RTV at the corners where the pan, block, and timing cover meet. It may have been a bit too much as some squeezed out the sides, but hopefully there are no leaks!
timingcover.jpg
Timing cover in place and center aligned using Sac City Corvette's AlignIt tool. The tool worked well to install the new seal, too!
timingcover2.jpg
I torqued the cover to 18 ft/lbs, removed the tool and installed the new seal, and started pressing my balancer on. I didn't have enough washers for my homemade tool, but the old crank gear worked great as a spacer!
balancer.jpg
It was more time consuming then it was difficult to get the balancer all the way on. First I tightened it as much as I could then removed the tool and installed the factory bolt to 240 ft/lbs. After removing the bolt, I measured 0.140" from the face of the balancer to the crank snout, which falls within the 0.094" - 0.176" GM spec.
balancer2.jpg
I'll probably pin the crank and install my new ARP crank bolt tomorrow at lunch if I can get away from my desk. Then hopefully on to putting the rack back in place and bolting up the supercharger! :thumbs

Desertdawg

Damn, this is getting good, and teh pictures are most awesome :thumbs

If teh dog still afraid of you, tie a steak around your neck, medium rare, easy on the seasoning! (pictures required)

Damn, this is getting good, and teh pictures are most awesome :thumbs

If teh dog still afraid of you, tie a steak around your neck, medium rare, easy on the seasoning! (pictures required)

Thanks, I'm having fun!

Haha, I dunno about steak, she seems to prefer chicken. :) I'll see what I can dig up for her next time I am back at it. :cheers