One more little tweak

jmxp69

You can get pulleys straight from Vortech. They have a 3.33 also. You know you want to do it. ;)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmxp69

• joe@cpr.com

• Jon

• RoccoC5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're the guy that stands on the street yelling, "jump you p&s*y" aren't you? heheh

I found the 3.48" @ Summit.

Yup, gotta get the headers in due to my cats. After that, lots of reading on LS1 internals and 700hp strategies.

I'd like to find a way to get along without meth if possible. I'm trying to figure out how the high flow/low cr LQ9 heads play in that strategy. A different block isn't completely out of the question but not my first preference.

After discussing with Joe, I decided to go ahead and have the clutch swapped out while he's in there doing the headers. Stock one just slips too much on hard starts. I don't see any reason to add any more power unless I'm getting everything the engine makes to the wheels.

McLeod RXT:

mcleodrxt.jpg

Sticking with stock flywheel. Any comments/observations about that?

Changed to McLeod steel flywheel. Don't want to take any chances.

I've got that clutch with that same flywheel. It's pure awesome. Joe did the install. Do a remote clutch bleeder as well.

Yup, he's doing a new slave, remote bleeder, and tranny fluid while he's got it apart.

Got my 3.48" pulley today. New idler pulley will be here today too. :bannana4:

For what it's worth: Originally I thought I'd keep the stock flywheel. This is one of those "what do you want to believe" issues from Internet research. One camp says it's ok to keep stock flywheel--just resurface and go. The other camp says the stock flywheel isn't designed for higher clamping loads and they refer to Youtube videos of flywheels letting go causing big $$ in damage. I'm just looking at it like an insurance policy and playing it safe with the billet flywheel.

Just left the car w/Joe. Got to see the new hardware before I left. He should be done with it tomorrow afternoon, then I'm heading to ADC for a dyno pull.

Got the car back from Joe today. It sounds awesome. RXT clutch feels really good too although I'm going to go easy for a while to bed it in. Overall, I think these are two really nice upgrades. Unfortunately Keith wasn't at the dyno shop when I got over there this afternoon, so I'll have to make another trip down there to get it on the dyno. Will post the numbers when I get back down there.

kooks.jpg

Thanks. I was looking forward to getting it on the dyno today since I was down there already. I'll try Keith tomorrow and see if I can get in on Saturday. On another note, I got my phone mount install tonight:

Pretty happy with this little gizmo too. I'm always fumbling around with my phone in the car. This takes care of that problem.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Still not quite what I expected for peak numbers, but still some good gains. Prior to the headers, I had a drop off in power and torque right about 5200rpm. That drop off is gone with the headers. The power/torque curves keep climbing. Right at 5k it looks like a 20hp gain and a 24lb/ft gain.
header1.jpg
This is where it gets interesting. From 5200-6000 I see more power and torque. After the 5200rpm dip, I see +38hp and +43lb/ft. So it looks like more consistent power and torque from about 4200rpm through redline.
header2.jpg
I was surprised the peak numbers aren't higher, but it was 110 today and it went on the dyno after a 45 minute highway ride and we did three consecutive runs. Looks like I top out @ 460hp/440tq with the headers. Previous peak numbers were 450/420.

That's a good boost in power under the curve. You ended the run at 5900 rpm though? Looks like you were still making power...I wonder if you took it to 6100 like the first run if you wouldn't have made more? When you upgrade your top-end you'll be able to rev it even higher. :)

Did you notice an increase in boost with the smaller pulley, or did the headers offset it?

Yeah, this is my first time operating a car on the dyno. It's a little unnerving doing 129mph sitting still and praying those straps don't let go. So I'm sure I could have pushed a little more, but even a few hundred more RPM wouldn't have gotten me to my goal.

I believe the boost did go up by 1 to 8psi, but again, I was really watching the tach. I'll go for a spin tonight, rev it out and see what it says.

It hit 10psi as I bumped the rev limiter. All I can say is it's violently fast: 2nd gear, 75+mph, 10psi and it gets there in a hurry. Feels like I'm hanging on for dear life.

Nice....fund teh swap on mine, and you can gain more experience....

That's a good boost in power under the curve. You ended the run at 5900 rpm though? Looks like you were still making power...I wonder if you took it to 6100 like the first run if you wouldn't have made more? When you upgrade your top-end you'll be able to rev it even higher. :)

Did you notice an increase in boost with the smaller pulley, or did the headers offset it?

I had hoped for more peak gains, but there is decent growth under the curve and it's delivered more smoothly which is good.

Nice....fund teh swap on mine, and you can gain more experience....

Hahah! If I ever hit the lottery, I'll buy a round of blowers for all my ACE friends.

Guest badbobs95

Saw John and the car yesterday at C&C. What a beauty not only under the hood but the paint looks brand new. Great job and nice meeting you. See ya soon. :crayon: