One more little tweak

jmxp69

There aren't any holes in the lower wing of my intercooler either. I'll have to drill it out and use a self-tapping screw into the frame. So are your only connection points the top two L brackets? It makes sense to have those lower brackets there because without them, I would imagine there would be a lot of strain on the top L brackets every time you step on the gas.

I got my missing d-shape spacer today. Josh mailed it overnight. I also went out last night and put the throttle body plumbing (MAF and couplers) on, I put the air bridge on and put the BOV parts together. Tonight I just need to install the Intercooler which should be ~ 20 minutes. Install the top shroud, hook up the BOV, run the vacuum line, and then I'm down to the BAP. My bench is almost clear of parts. I'm getting really excited now. NicD is tuning it on Saturday.

I've also decided to flat-bed the car to the tune shop. So after everything is installed, I'll start the car and check everything over, then install the 60lb injectors and wait for my tow Saturday morning. Andy said it would be ok to leave the injectors out and drive it while staying out of boost then install the 60lb injectors at the shop. I'm sure he's right, but the tow is a $150 insurance policy I'm willing to pay.

28.jpg

29.jpg

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmxp69

• joe@cpr.com

• Jon

• RoccoC5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe, I got the Intercooler installed tonight and something just doesn't seem right in the geometry between the Intercooler and Throttle Body. It's almost like the hose on the Intercooler stands too upright which creates downstream to TB issues. I got it all connected but I'm not thrilled with the fit. I tried adjusting the IC mount and messed with the hoses and 60 degree pipe for way too long tonight. I think I might like to stop by and have you take a look.

Still need to install BAP, connect the vacuum to BOV/BAP/Boost Gauge and connect the 1/2" air filter line to valve cover and I'm done. Probably about 3 hours or less now.

30.jpg

Love this vert! What kinda numbers you hoping for?

Given the rest of the engine is completely stock, I'd be happy with ~520hp/480tq at the wheels.

This is what it sounds like when the tensioner DOESN'T rub against the front bracket.

:Dude:

Really not sure why it did that the first time...it was cinched down pretty good. I loosened all the head unit mounting bolts, removed/reinstalled J bracket, tightened everything back down from the top and now it sounds the way I think it should sound. Only job left is to swap the injectors and take it for the tune.

Who wants to take a stab at Dyno results? Engine was bone stock before SC install. 18k miles. I'm hoping for ~520 RWHP.

Awesome, looks like your install went pretty well! You didn't forget to put oil in the head unit, right? :D It's probably something I'd do after all that work...

I'm going to guess right at 500 whp.

Since I bombed Drewsters by overshooting, I'm going 481hp, 465tq, until it cools down.

joe@cpr.com

really sorry i have been so busy in the back that I didn't get to respond to your questions in time. Glad you got it all figured out though sir! we need another lift and 4th tech lol

Awesome, looks like your install went pretty well! You didn't forget to put oil in the head unit, right? :D It's probably something I'd do after all that work...

I'm going to guess right at 500 whp.

Nope, I checked the oil. SI's come pre-oiled from the factory, but there wasn't a chance I'd run it without looking for myself. I also had to swap the shipping plug for a vented plug.

Since I bombed Drewsters by overshooting, I'm going 481hp, 465tq, until it cools down.

DoH!!! You bite your tongue Mister! 500+ :)

really sorry i have been so busy in the back that I didn't get to respond to your questions in time. Glad you got it all figured out though sir! we need another lift and 4th tech lol

That's ok Joe. The first time I started it I just didn't know if that's the way it was supposed to sound or not, I opted for 'not' and dug into it. Glad I did.

PS I need a lift too! What's your Power Estimate?

Yes, 3.6" pulley. That's not even funny. I've seen many A&A threads where guys are putting ~600 down with the same kit. I knew I'd take a hit without headers, so that's why I'm thinking low 500's.

joe@cpr.com

don't believe the internet and what a&a post. they have claimed some absolutely insane numbers before and when asked for the run conditions they dodge the question. I'm sorry but w/ pump gas in this heat I will be surprised if you hit 500 rwhp. Here is a great example of an aggressive si on an ls1 here in az, he is also a member here.

NRS (Neil) we built the car.

Forged ls1 9:5:1 compression

317 heads

custom cam from us

3.25 upper pulley 8'' lower (overdriven lower)

longtubes w/ no cats

That's the basics and what matters, he made 616 rwhp.

My point is corvette forum is full of bs and dyno lies and tricks. You will probably pick up 150'ish rwhp, stock your car makes about 310 rwhp.

Alright, well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Want to get over 500hp. Thread after thread after thread with posted dyno sheets cannot ALL be misleading. Although, there aren't a lot of totally stock builds which is why I thought low 500's. I guess we'll see.

With the excitement around the tensioner issue, I forgot to post pics of the BAP install.

I was pretty excited about this step last night. I knew it was the last major evolution of the install. 41 pages of instructions down and a big box of parts no longer sitting on the bench.

36.jpg

I used the ground strap from the fuel filler neck for the ground. This was a quick soldering job. Fused wire to the front, un-fused to the rear. Fishtape from the front inspection panel behind driver side tire to the rear to haul the wires to the pressure switch up front.

37.jpg

I drilled a hole below that sideways T to allow for a zip tie.

38.jpg

All buttoned up. The BAP was a fairly painless task.

39.jpg

I'm swapping injectors tonight, otherwise this is the final installed pic.

aa_v3si.jpg

joe@cpr.com

Alright, well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Want to get over 500hp. Thread after thread after thread with posted dyno sheets cannot ALL be misleading. Although, there aren't a lot of totally stock builds which is why I thought low 500's. I guess we'll see.

They can when you see some of the correction factors, also factoring they are on 93 octane, different elevation, and lower air temps. I hope you hit your goal, but if you don't it's ok it still will be a lot faster than before.

My initial numbers with the same SC and 3.6 pulley were:

465whp / 446tq

Stock engine, LG long tubes, LG High flow cats, SLP exhaust, 91oct. 12/6/12 73 deg.

Then I fell down the slippery modification slope.

Yikes, that's quite a bit lower than I'm hoping for. What've you got going now?

Forged 9.5:1 motor, 317 heads/Ferrea valves, CPR 223/237 cam, 8" overdrive balancer, 3.2" pulley, LG headers, no cats, Magnaflow exhaust, McLeod RST, LS7 lifters, Aeromotive 340 pump, DeWitt's Radiator/Fan, Nitrous outlet 100 shot.

I was in the same boat as you and did some scrutinizing of the internet numbers. There is a lot of missing information with those numbers: e.g. conditions, fuel octane, use of meth, cams, headers, not to mention the dyno inflations.

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms with this question, but are these sub 500hp estimates corrected numbers? I found a correction calculator and plugged in today's Temp, Humidity, Barometer and 1086' of elevation and it spit out a correction factor of 1.108. At 480hp uncorrected, that would be 530hp corrected...right?

I plugged the same values in for conditions in Oxnard (A&A location) and their correction factor is 1.033.

480*1.108 = 531hp (Phoenix)

525*1.033 = 542hp (Oxnard)

Just trying to figure out the discrepancy between what I'm hearing here and elsewhere. I asked Josh @ A&A about it today and he wrote back: "We typically see 525rwhp thru auto and 550rwhp thru stick. With stock LS1 and SC kit only."

Yes they are corrected. No can of worms here, I've already gone through all of that, and I am satisfied with what I have. The bottom line will be to dyno it and see what you get.

Yup, I'm resigned to it now. Do you remember how much boost you made with your initial numbers? I guess if I'm within 20-30hp, I'm going to have to go see Joe and have him install headers for me. :)