Renting a trailer to haul my Z06

uncledibble

uncledibble

Any idea on where I could rent a trailer to haul my Z06 up to Colorado? As luck would have it I sold both my trailers when I was cleaning up the toys last year. I would need it for the last week in June. I am considering running at the 1/2 mile event in Colorado Springs at the airport the day before the Pikes Peak hill climb race.

I have a 2014 Denali HD 2500 with the Duramax and Allison so I can pull just about anything.

Is the Z so highly modified that it's no longer streetable/reliable, or is the plan for it to be a one way trip for the car?

U-HAUL has excellent "car hauler's" in stock. Just make sure you get one ahead of time (reserve it). Drop by their facilities - the trailer has a good ramp (works well with lowered cars), the fender of the trailer, on the driver's side of the trailer, folds out and down so you may open the driver's door without scraping your door sill, plus it gives you plenty of room to exit the car. The fender folds back in place & locks down.

I've used them to haul my '65 Malibu SS that was quite low & it served me very well!

Good Luck!!!

uncledibble

Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of Uhaul. Any need to extend ramps or use other boards? Do you know if these trailers tow well at highway speed?

Final Effort

Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of Uhaul. Any need to extend ramps or use other boards? Do you know if these trailers tow well at highway speed?

Depending on the ball height of the truck. I just usually bring along some 2x6 & 2x4s stack and drive the truck up on then.

place them under rear tires depending on what the angle of the trailer bed and ramps require.

Just like any other trailer, how much you load the tongue is the key to stability.

joe@cpr.com

I would not recommend the uhaul trailer, on a stock height vette they are tight. Add in being a z with a widebody, front splitter, and not sure rob if you got those side skirts but if you did forget about it.

Using a U-Haul Car Hauler Trailer, I pulled a '65 Chevelle SS from Portland, Oregon to Phoenix and had NO PROBLEMS at all. As I stated before my car was lowered, which generally put it, as they say, "in the weeds" - NO problem with loading.

As far as the trailer being capable/comfortable with a Corvette on it, I would NOT be concerned as you have the BEST of both worlds - your car is almost perfectly balanced at 50/50 weight distribution, whereas my Chevelle was naturally nose heavy with most of the weight in the front. Take along about four two by fours, ten - twelve inches long to adjust the ramps for the correct height at wherever you are loading and unloading & you'll be fine!

Trucking & hauling items up to four hundred thousand pounds and 18 feet wide over a period of three million accident free miles in my career gives me the confidence to make the statements I have made. :scareddriver:

Go to a U-Haul dealer in your area, Measure the inside width of the "bay" of the trailer & if it fits (which it will) - LOAD IT AND GO - REMEMBERING all the time you are TWICE as long as you were "before".

God BLESS!!

:yeah:

Looks a bit tail heavy. Just kidding... I assume the axle is moveable front to rear to adjust the load and tilt the bed?

uncledibble

thanks for the tips guys. Slammer is right on. I just sold my large enclosed two car hauler about a year ago. I like that kwik load trailer a lot. Any tips on local dealers? If not I will track one down. I also have a line on renting one just like that. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Drewster67

Looks a bit tail heavy. Just kidding... I assume the axle is moveable front to rear to adjust the load and tilt the bed?

Looks like a trailer a friend of mine has. You lock the rear axle - then drive backwards and the trailer tilts down. Drive the car up - lock it in place then pull forward to even out the trailer. Unlock the rear axle,

Am I close on that Slammer?

That's about the size of it! I hold the lever on the electric brake control in the truck cab so I don't have to engage the Manuel brake lever on the trailer. It's a very smart idea. You can enter and exit the Vette with no worries of doors hitting the fenders. Then pull the trailer forward and it locks in place. I bought mine from a fella in Scottsdale who picks up maybe 12 per year from Texas and sells them to his car club buddies. PM me and I'll see if I can get his number to see if he has any for sale now.

SLAMMER