Hey, Techie Guys! "brake" warning question. . .

Chameleon

My Vette did something weird at my last track event. . .looking for explanations/solutions from any of you wise techie guys.

2008 C6 vert with F55 suspension. Set to "sport ride" and "competition mode" driving on a road course.

Under hard cornering, to the RIGHT ONLY, I received an audible warning beeping, accompanied by the red "BRAKE" light in my instrument panel.

What might cause this? How do I eliminate it?

Thanks in advance!

No clue really Donna, the 82 isn't that high-tech :facepalm: but did you check the brake fluid reservoir? Other than that, wouldn't that be in the owners manual?

Sorry Donna, but I'm like Tom, my old C4 isn't that high tech either. Since the C6s are so "driver friendly" that warning light might just come on when you're about to hit something. Ask Dawg if his came on just before he almost hit that poor little deer!!!! That light may have saved that deer's life! :laughing gut bustin:

PS: One other explanation--your car was built by a democrat who put that warning light in so every time you start "turning to the right" the car wants you to stop and think about it.!! :facepalm:

Under hard cornering, to the RIGHT ONLY, I received an audible warning beeping, accompanied by the red "BRAKE" light in my instrument panel.

What might cause this?

Fence Proximity Warning Sensor?

The fluid reservoir was full; that is part of my routine pre-track tech inspection I do on my car.

The normal occurrence of that "brake" light is to indicate that the parking brake is set.

However, in this case, the parking brake was NOT set, and I was going about 55 mph through a fairly tight RIGHT turn. It doesn't happen on left turns.

The owner's manual is useless for anything technical. . .

Have you checked for any play in your wheel bearings (esp. left front)? Raise the car, spin the wheel, put your hand on a suspension component while spinning the tire, can you feel any roughness? If not,you will need about an inch and a half of black electrical tape. I have also seen the pesky light repaired with a strategically placed picture of a loved one.

Wouldn't the brake warning light have something to do with the ABS system? If possibly could mean that your right front ABS sensor is possibly about to fail or is sensing a near lockup condition. The only time I've ever seen the brake warning light, the ABS control module was shot. just my .02

How do I eliminate it?

ONLY RUN ON COUNTER CLOCKWISE TRACKS ? ?SLAMMER?

Your all barking up the wrong tree. It's the parking brake light that illuminates and sends a audio warning. Now let's give it another try!! P.S. See my earlier post ?SLAMMER?

Are you using your parking brake for drifting? :laughing gut bustin: Oh, sorry, I forgot about your earlier post. Old habits are hard to brake.

A very small drill bit through the cluster eliminates the light, and will be hardly noticeable.

serious reply

this is going to sound stupid but lets try.

while street/freeway driving pull the parking brake up 1/4 of an inch (kep your thumb on the release button) and I bet you will see the same symptoms (brake light and tone)

the parking brake has an ON/OFF switch located at the base of the Ratchet thingie.

I suspect the switch (it has 2 connectors) is getting shorted by the foil sound deadening material under the carpet and causing the car to think the parking brake is set.

you would normally see the phrase " Parking Brake.. ya idiot" on the DIC, but i suspect due to the racing conditions the DIC ignores that display request.

Could be plausible Chad. I tried moving the E-brake side ways to see if there was any response. I got nothing. I also tried not touching it at all while racing on track. Didn't seem to make any difference. Matbe my weight had something to do with it. There was a session that the passenger seat was open and I didn't think to ask Donna if the light or audio tone came on. I'm not sure she could hear or see it. As I was the one who heard and saw the tone/bell light indacator SLAMMER.

The cable on the right rear for the emergency brake needs adjusted to allow a little more slack. It's also possible that the cable's end anchor is not fully in the hole, which would create the same result if it was corrected.

I was getting ready to post the same thing as Tom, I would check the e-brake cable/handle adjustments.

How do I eliminate it?

ONLY RUN ON COUNTER CLOCKWISE TRACKS ? ?SLAMMER?

OK, like i said, the 82 doesn't have all those bells, whistles and chaty kathy warning alerts, but I did sleep in a holiday inn express last night and thought that would help. I really liked Slammers fix though, works for me. :P

The info on the cable adjustment makes sense. Thanks, guys!

I don't know if this issue occurred during the session my passenger seat was empty; I couldn't hear the audible warning, and while under hard cornering I was looking at the track, not the instrument cluster. Slammer is the one who caught the issue. . .

As I'm reading through this post, the same thought occurred to me as Tom & Mr. Parker suggested. Unfortunately while the conversation was going on we were still at church gaining wisdom ...... makes ya wanna think about where to spend your time .....

but then after seeing Chad's new sig ..... decided I'd stick to my Sunday morning ritual ............. #can'tthinkofathing

Keep in mind too that car used to have a tan interior. Chad changed it to black and had the whole interior pulled out. It's possible the connection Chad mentioned earlier could be loose and moving during that right hander...away from the center console...whereas on a left it would not. If memory serves, that boot was a pain in the ass.

Final Effort

I don't know if this issue occurred during the session my passenger seat was empty; I couldn't hear the audible warning, and while under hard cornering I was looking at the track, not the instrument cluster. Slammer is the one who caught the issue. . .

Good reason to find a GoPro to monitor the DIC.

My guess is maybe the E-brake switch may not like the G-force you're giving it.