5 New Wheels

jmxp69

Just mounted four of these.

Posted Image

I noticed a slight pull to the right on test drive. Tire pressure and balance are good. Wasn't a crowned road. No other changes other than removing OEM front wheels/tires and replacing with the +1" Nurburgrings. Any ideas? I'm thinking I may have uncovered a bad alignment with fresh tires.

And one of these. Redline black leather wheel cover with extra foam and thumb rests. Baseball stitch with sierra/light oak colored thread.

Posted Image

Do another check of the tire pressures, if they are perfect side to side then it may be time for an alignment.

Ya, I'll check pressure again tomorrow. You ever heard of new tires uncovering an alignment that's off a little? I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon for an alignment.

Guest badbobs95

Ya, I'll check pressure again tomorrow. You ever heard of new tires uncovering an alignment that's off a little? I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon for an alignment.

I just replaced my front aftermarket lowering bolts last week and got a lifetime wheel alignment. After about 6K miles the cups on the ends were disintegrated! I have read horrible reviews on these. FYI, In this case, stock is way better in the fronts. My alignment numbers were way off too.

Where did you find your steering wheel cover?

I've always checked the alignment after mounting new tires .... but would certainly do so when swapping wheels .....

but that's just me .............

Something else that I've noticed about teh TSW Nurb's....I can change my brakes from squealing, to quiet by just changing which lug goes in which hole in teh wheel.

Aside from that, looks good!

I just replaced my front aftermarket lowering bolts last week and got a lifetime wheel alignment. After about 6K miles the cups on the ends were disintegrated! I have read horrible reviews on these. FYI, In this case, stock is way better in the fronts. My alignment numbers were way off too. Where did you find your steering wheel cover?

I'm at the alignment shop now. The guy I spoke with (owner) said this sounds like "tire pull" and doesn't think an alignment will solve it. I'm still going to have the alignment done to be sure it's within spec. Bob, The wheel cover is from Redline. I got the extra foam and thumb grips. I added the foam, grips, and stitched the cover myself.

Aren't you s'posed to get an alignment anyway when you go plus one?

Dunno. This is the first car I've ever bought wheels and tires for. I'm having it done just to make sure it's right.

If you had a tire shop install the tire/wheels, I'd suggest removing them to check for crap on mounting surfaces and tightening the lugnuts in a star pattern in 3 steps with a torque wrench. It doesn't take much to cause problems and an alignment without doing that first is a waste of time and money.

No, I installed everything. Brand new rotors and pads too. That's not it. Talked with tire seller, they ordered me a new front. They're going to mount new tire and see how it tracks. If no good, they'll put the removed tire on the other side. They said flipping and moving a directional tire doesn't solve tire pull. The alignment reduced pull but its still there.

If you lowered the car you can take the alignment out of spec because you alter the geometry of the suspension. I bet you have a bad tire or you are experiencing "wagon tracking" where the car wants to follow the ruts of the road which is also usually tire related

Didn't lower it. It was a straight up wheel/tire swap. It tracked perfectly with original tires. Wasn't tire pressure which I checked again this AM. Alignment guy and tire vendor both think it's one of the front tires. Discount tire is about to mount a replacement.

If you had a tire shop install the tire/wheels, I'd suggest removing them to check for crap on mounting surfaces and tightening the lugnuts in a star pattern in 3 steps with a torque wrench. It doesn't take much to cause problems and an alignment without doing that first is a waste of time and money.

Re-reading my post and I came off dismissive. Didn't mean to and apologize. I appreciate the suggestions. I've just been running around a bit today to get this fixed and am working from my phone. Anyway...yes, rotors and pads are only a few days old. I checked surface area before mounting and definitely am OCD about torque. Since I did all of that myself, I know it's right. They just pulled my car in to make the change. We'll see shortly if the tire is the culprit.

Was just reading this post. If you switch the front wheels/tires from one side to the other and the pull changes, than its a tire pull. Food for thought...

Re-reading my post and I came off dismissive. Didn't mean to and apologize. I appreciate the suggestions. I've just been running around a bit today to get this fixed and am working from my phone. Anyway...yes, rotors and pads are only a few days old. I checked surface area before mounting and definitely am OCD about torque. Since I did all of that myself, I know it's right. They just pulled my car in to make the change. We'll see shortly if the tire is the culprit.

No problem. It's hard to know the experience/ability level without discussion.

After everything today, it was the driver front tire. I ordered the wheels/tires from Discount Tire Direct online. They came mounted/balanced/tpms. I installed and noticed the issue. The alignment was within spec except for the back wheels which they corrected. He also dialed in a little bit of left correction up front which eased some of the pressure on the wheel but did not eliminate right pull. I'm don't know if he added cross caster, toe or camber. I should have asked.

I stopped at the closest Discount Tire retail location and explained what was going on. They had their courier pick up another front tire from Direct and bring it over--took about two hours. They removed the passenger side wheel and replaced the tire. Took it for a test drive--same issue. Brought it back and they put the original removed tire on the driver's side and Yahtzee, that did it. No drift on a flat road now. I appreciate the tips and suggestions. Thanks for helping out everybody.

I didn't mention this during the day today, but after the alignment adjustment up front, the steering wheel was off center. I didn't catch it during the test drive, but I called the alignment shop back after DT sent their courier to get another front. The alignment guy said, "Sorry, that happens sometimes. Bring it back and we'll adjust it. Will take less than 5 minutes. Just get a good look at how it's off and show my tech." I went back to the shop. The tech had me crank the wheel left while he adjusted the tie rod, then right while he adjusted the other. The first adjustment got it back to within ~2 degrees. He did a second adjustment and I was back to 12 o'clock while tracking straight down the road.

Overall, I have to say I'm quite happy with both service shops that worked on my car. Discount Tire didn't flinch after I explained the situation: Day old wheels/tires, pressure good, flat rotors, torqued to spec, alignment checked--they got on the phone, ordered another tire and swapped/balanced the wheels with no charge. Frankly, I expected them to say there was nothing they could do and I'd have to deal with Discount Tire Direct; but, they did the work and didn't even ask me to sign a work order. All I had to do was show them my receipt.

I had the alignment done by Network Alignment on Cave Creek road. I was a walk-in. He told me it would be about two hours. They got the car on the rack in about 20 minutes. They did a four wheel alignment and I watched them the entire time through the glass. They were very careful putting the car on the lift and even used long wood ramps to ensure clearance. Scott was very firm in his assessment and guidance. Not wishy washy, there was no guess work with him. He knew what to do. The alignment was only $59 too which I thought was a pretty good price.

First pic shows how far off the wheel was (sorry, not sure why it's sideways). Second one is with the car on the alignment rack.

Glad to have this issue resolved. :)

post-2562-0-24828700-1397984093_thumb.jp

post-2562-0-87132800-1397984110_thumb.jp

Good news. Always good to hear a positive referral as well, especially up on the north end of town.

Glad to hear of you success story. DT has always treated me well. With the top up it looks like Eddie's old ride!!! Not many black and white toppers out there.

That's oak, not white Timmeh...

OK then....nevermind. Still looks white to me, then again those elephants looked purple too!!!

Good news. Always good to hear a positive referral as well, especially up on the north end of town.

That's why I added the info. Word of mouth is important to me. I tried a couple of local service centers. They wouldn't even touch the vette for an alignment.

Glad to hear of you success story. DT has always treated me well. With the top up it looks like Eddie's old ride!!! Not many black and white toppers out there.

I was surprised the retail facility didn't tell me to go deal with the online entity. I half expected that when I walked in the door.

That's oak, not white Timmeh...

OK then....nevermind. Still looks white to me, then again those elephants looked purple too!!!

Yup, crappy cell phone pic. It's Light Oak. Were the elephants flying? :)