Son got a ticket in Tucson Seems BS to me.

Quicksilver98

Quicksilver98

Need opinions on this one. My son was making a left turn on a green arrow. It was from a road that had a single dedicated left turn lane going onto a road that had 2 lanes in each direction. There was no one coming from the opposite direction and no one that needed to turn right into the same direction as he was going. He needed to turn right within 50yards of making the left turn so when he made the turn he got into the right lane......like 90%of the people do that make this left hand turn. There just happen to be a cop sitting in the closed gas station at the corner and pulled him over and wrote him up for an illegal turn. I went down to intersection today and watched for 5-10 min and because the turn is actually greater then 90 degrees (roads are not perpendicular) Nearly everyone that takes that left turn goes into the right lane and not the closer left lane. Im thinking about video taping the traffic and taking it to court before he makes a 250 donation to the city. Thoughts?

That's what I was thinking you would do when you said you went back and watched the traffic. It could be a good argument.

Ever heard two wrongs don't make a right? By the most technical definition of the law he did commit a violation. Now, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not giving legal advise. If it were my son I would tell him to take an printout of Google maps with him to court. Then I would drill him on how to explain to the judge that wo anyone sitting there to turn left he felt it safer to turn into that lane than to switch lanes within 50 yes of making his turn. If he's an adult (18 yrs) you can't do anything for him because you weren't there and didn't witness anything. You can't even take the video because he as to testify to how, when and where it was taken. The trap most folks fall into is I didn't do it or everybody does it. He can't just go into court and say "I did it because everyone else was doing it". The cop will probably say "ya, and is wrote 15 more tickets there before and after you". You have to give a reason why it was safer. Good luck!

The problem I have with tickets like this, is I'll bet that cop does the exact same thing when he's driving his personal car or hell, even in his cruiser.

I travel west side Glendale from 101 to Dysart nearly every day. Most traffic drives 55 in that 45 zone. Nearly every time I see a cop (Glendale PD or other PD) on that road, they are traveling in excess of 55. Especially the motor cops. I'm assuming for the most part they are headed home when going west. There have been several times I see a pair of them, and once they get to Dysart road they split. One north and one south.

I would be very upset if I were to ever get a ticket down that road for 55, knowing how the police themselves actually drive that road and the speeds that they almost always travel.

Guest badbobs95

This really sucks but in my opinion he needs to try to explain and then leave it up to the judge. Sometimes life gives us shitty lessons.

Tucson has to pay for all of teh road "work" going on around town somehow, so teh revenue enhancement zones are popping up everywhere lately....

My comment has no bearing on this thread really except that now that I also live in Marana (Tucson) area and drive I-10 everyday to and from work, there are a TON of cops down here. I-10 is crawling with DPS, which is OK I guess as lond as they keep puling semi's over...Sorry, I hate semi's and the crazy stuff they do. Driving to DM and having to go down Golf Links and the area around there I've seen so many city cops, sheriff and DPS everywhere. It appears that there are more cops around than in the east valley for sure and I'm always reminding myself to keep the speed down, I use the CC a lot. All I can say is watch out..."they are also watching you".

Speaking of hating semi's, the other day while driving home on I-10 west in the middle lane cruising at 70, CC set. A semi decides to get right on my ass, I mean all I could see in my RVM was his silver grille, so he was WAY to close at that speed. There was nobody at all in the left passing lane and he could have easily passed me on the left since I could not go to the right. He finally passed me on the right vs. left (and the left lane was still wide open) and as soon as he passed me, he cut me off with a hard left in my lane when his trailer was only half way passed me. I almost shit myself when I climbed on the brakes to keep from getting sideswipped. I was pissed off as hell and I assume he wanted me to move into the passing lane vs. him. He did that deliberately, not that he didn't see me. I tried to get his license number to call DPS to report him and was more than willing to follow this ass clown to make a citizens arrest if possible to get him off the highways, but the traffic got heavy and couldn't get up to him without driving like him and decided it wasn't worth it. I hope I never see that trucker again.

I was hoping the entire time..."Where is DPS when you need them"? LOL, OK, I guess they aren't around all the time on I-10.

OK, I'm done. :P

Ever heard two wrongs don't make a right? By the most technical definition of the law he did commit a violation. You have to give a reason why it was safer. Good luck!

This...... :thumbs

I was puller over in Goodyear last year @ 0500 for this same violation. The officer was right behind me when I made the left. I went to the center lane and yep on come the lights. Officer asked if I knew what i did and I told him yes, I moved to the center to provide him with the option of passing me on either side. He chuckled asked for my creds and weapon info. He ran the info, gave me back my stuff and then we chatted about the choices we used for concealed carry for about 5 minutes. He thanked me for giving him the option to pass on either side, but told me to stick with the law and have a nice day! I think he was actually looking for something deeper at that hour. Thank you Goodyear officer!!!

don't bother trying to get the ticket wiped out, but do fight it even though the cop will utter "I believe what I said to be true and correct" the judge will see it his way, but will wipe the fine.

Bromley's Corvettes

Good Luck I got a similar ticket for fail to yield. I turned left on a green light but was supposed to wait for a green arrow. The cop was a real jerk said he almost killed us had to get on the brakes hard. He said he had it on dash cam so I tried very hard to get a copy and was told I was able to. They would never let me buy a copy and the cop showed up in court with it in his laptop set on the judges bench and that was it as far as the law goes anyone that turns not on a green arrow is guilty. The part that sucked is I really did not no the law at the time and did not think it was that close. I wanted to see for my self and was denied but told oh yes sir go hear and you can get a copy lol. Even talked to a attorney and he said oh ya I can fight that for you for $1500.00 lol Turns out would have been a waist of time and money. I never had a chance once the cop wrights a fail to yield your done.

Me bets your boy is hosed. I'd fight it just on the chance that the officer doesn't show, By the letter of the law, he broke the law, and that's where they will stop caring.

Motor cops should wear vests that say "Tax collector" on them. They have zero to do with safety and making the world a better place, they are only there to collect money. And they are very good at it.

Letter of the law is the letter of the law. He didn't make a legal traffic manuver, he made "the most convenient" maneuver. Judge or cop will say you could've driven past, made a legal u-turn or gone around the block to legally get to the drive. I got a warning ticket way back in college about this same issue. The cop was cool to point out the legal maneuver I could've made as opposed to merely ticketing me for the illegal move I HAD made