C5 Dash Pad

Grape Ape

Need to remove my dash pad and was wondering if anyone has ever done theirs before? How long should it realistically take me? Plan for it taking all day, should only be a few hours or what the hell you waiting for, you could have been done already when you get done typing this thread? Don't want to take it apart and not get it back together for the show on Saturday.

joe@cpr.com

I've done it before, doing it in a garage w/ regular life happening and being your first time it should take a few hours. It's not difficult really just no fast way to do it.

Did you get the A/C vents back together that I hydro dipped and painted for you? Are you gonna be installing them now? I was just curious how it's going to look with those parts added.

Thanks for the info Joe. Will try to tackle it tomorrow. Doing taxes today, yuke.... Adam, well that is the plan right now. The door one will be a no brainer but the dash pad will take a little bit of time since I have never done it before. Should be a fun learning curve. Couldn't find any videos of taking it apart so I will try and make my own for future reference if I need it, or if anyone else might need it too. See how it goes.

Alex in bay 2 C check just had his apart to change out a cracked HUD bezel.

Maybe he has a tip or 2 while its fresh in his mind if your in tonight.

Maybe you could talk to him if you are going to be there for me? I am going to be a day walker for the next 4 days. Let me know if he has any input. I will be up til around midnight anyway so don't worry about waking me up.

Wow, thanks for the link. :highfive: I should be able to get this done in about 5 minutes or so. Looks intimidating until you get into it I would imagine. Very helpful link....I like pictures.... :photo:

Well I went and did it this morning. Not really that bad of a job but like Joe says, there is no shortcuts to this one. Took all of about 2.5 hours start to finish. I show you some pictures when I get them uploaded. Looks pretty good with the hydrocarbon Adam did for me. I know most of you will say, "What the hell man, you did all that just to change the vents??? Are you nuts?" My answer is, hell ya I'm nuts......I like different I guess. :hehehe:

Okay, couple pics for yuz.

Dash pad removed

Posted Image

Dash pad upside down to work on it and clean the vents out. Bet I have the cleanest C5 vents in the country......

Posted Image

New vents going in

Posted Image

Dash pad reinstalled and done.....Looks great Adam. Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks great guys .... I knew you could do it Mark .... well worth the effort !!! and yah ... the point raises the mod point level extremely well ...... finger selection somewhat questionable !!! #i'd add smileys of some sort but the damn things quit working on this here PC for some reason ... just lately

...... finger selection somewhat questionable !!!

I'm taking lessons from another Husker here on the board. I'm liking the look for sure. Tomorrow is wax and vacuum for the show.

...... finger selection somewhat questionable !!!

I'm taking lessons from another Husker here on the board. I'm liking the look for sure. Tomorrow is wax and vacuum for the show.
I believe I resemble those remarks.....Mark! :lol

Updated the first post on this wonderful and life changing experience with a how to video. Actually had a great time learning this job. Not near as bad as I thought it would be. Hope it can help someone out if they should so try this.

Put a few miles on the car today. No rattles, sqeeks or popping noises. So I must have tightened everything up well enough. Didn't even have any hardware left over either. Thanks for the compliments.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Mark...that came out looking really nice!

I was obviously concerned about the final outcome, due to the fact of having to try to color match, and pattern patch the console and other parts that you had previously had hydro dipped. The biggest concern for me was because the main center vent is so close to the radio bezel surround, I wanted it to match really well.

I actually think the match is even better than I had hoped for! (Patting self on back currently) :facepalm:

For those that actually give a hoot.... Besides the normal procedures involved with hydro dipping a part from start to finish, I had to get a custom basecoat color matched using the little vent cover next to the ignition switch as a sample. (That was a huge PITA by itself since Mark had most of the interior parts hydro dipped years earlier by someone in Florida, and we weren't able to obtain the original paint code.) Then, I had to do about a half dozen spray outs, while continually re-mixing the paint formula by tinting it further to obtain the best possible color match I could come up with. The next problem I was faced with was, the carbon film pattern that was originally used was somehow stretched, or degragated so the ink of the pattern was no where near as bold as the current film available. So, I had to manipulate the film in the water when dipping the parts, and let the pattern "grow" in the water, to try to match the previously dipped parts. After dipping, the current film was still too bold compared to the sample, so I mixed up some "special" clear, with a little dark graphite basecoat mixed in, and "dusted" the first coat of

Clear on, so it gave the illusion of the carbon film pattern being a little "softer", if that makes any sense. After that, I followed up with 3 more coats of straight clear, and then a final cut and buff.

All in all, it was a lot more work getting the match as close as possible to the existing interior pieces, and I ended up taking it in the shorts time wise, but I wanted to do the best I could to achieve the best match.

Like a big dummy, I completely forgot to take any pictures of the parts after they were completed, but here's a few pictures I took just after dipping the parts, and before the final top coating.

post-1452-0-81351500-1398180028_thumb.jp

post-1452-0-89397500-1398180068_thumb.jp

post-1452-0-56921700-1398180092_thumb.jp

Thanks Mark, for giving me the opportunity to add my own little contribution to your AWESOME looking car! :cool

And thanks to everyone else for the compliments. :thumbs

Looks awesome mark! Now all you need is a carbon fiber toothpick holder installed on your sun visor and then you will be done. I joke, but it does look good.

Looks awesome mark! Now all you need is a carbon fiber toothpick holder installed on your sun visor and then you will be done. I joke, but it does look good.

I'm sure I could do that! :rimshot: