Big Poppa's Corvette just doesn't like me... Clutch Slips

Cross

It is just not going to ever work out it seems, took the car to the track first pass not really going for my best run just getting a feel for it and I can feel it just slipping just holding redline...

So I make another pass really going easy on it, no issues. Slow shifting, not hard runs a 12.5 @ 120. Not bad alright maybe it was just bad lane prep and I really was spinning the tires.... nope next pass I push it a little harder right back to slipping...

So I pull into the lanes, no leaks, no issues the clutch pedal never gave me an issue. It is a Tick Master and a brand new slave cyl. I couldn't bleed it but it never felt like that was an issue, I waited while other events happened, ran the FRS for 5 passes after that then made a pass and it was ok but I was being very reserved. Apparently they didn't get me times. Either way it was nothing to write home about.

Made another pass after waiting, 110mph still being nice but it was really fighting me along the lines of slipping.

Next pass I pumped the clutch the whole time while waiting, 13's @ 115mph wasn't horrible seemed to do fine but I was still being nicer.

At this point I am just done. I know I talked to Loud Pedal they felt the clutch should hold no issues. I am sure Chris asked too and I am running 91 not E85 right now as well.

So that leaves me having an issue that doesn't effect normal driving but if I want to do anything fun like the Vette's meant for knowing I better not push my luck.

No matter what I replace, repair or lay the ground work for making it better on it seems this Vette just hates me and frankly right now I wouldn't mind pushing it off a cliff. I am tired of taking a Vette thats supposed to be so well built apart.

So at this point I think I am done with this Vette as it clearly does not want me anywhere near it.

Wonderful day, just like the last time I went to enjoy it.

You seem to have a black cloud over you when it comes to your cars. SLAMMER

Atleast when it comes to this Vette thats for sure. I mean of all things this makes no sense. Am I suddenly making that much more power? I keep wanting to believe its something else but the logical thing is to believe the clutch just can't hold.....

Bromley's Corvettes

Did your last vette have clutch problems too? Maybe time for a auto with a 4k stall and be done :)

I had real trouble with that clutch when it was new. I HATED it!! Slipped like CRAZY, but after a couple weeks it seemed to work fine. Almost like it needed to break in. If I wouldn't have been SO freakin' broke at that time I would have bought a different clutch. But I never ran sticky tires or at the track. So maybe it's just a bad clutch that holds just well enough to hold 2 year old NT05's on the street, but loses the battle at the track. I've read bad reviews about those clutches, and great reviews. Just like every other part out there. So who knows. I don't think LPM is lying about the fact that they put a lot of them in and they all work great. I also don't think that you have created THIS problem. My guess is for whatever reason, that particular clutch is a dud. Not the whole line, not every one that was ever sold, but the one in that car. Believe me, if I had an answer, I'd give it to you.

I had real trouble with that clutch when it was new. I HATED it!! Slipped like CRAZY, but after a couple weeks it seemed to work fine. Almost like it needed to break in. If I wouldn't have been SO freakin' broke at that time I would have bought a different clutch. But I never ran sticky tires or at the track. So maybe it's just a bad clutch that holds just well enough to hold 2 year old NT05's on the street, but loses the battle at the track. I've read bad reviews about those clutches, and great reviews. Just like every other part out there. So who knows. I don't think LPM is lying about the fact that they put a lot of them in and they all work great. I also don't think that you have created THIS problem. My guess is for whatever reason, that particular clutch is a dud. Not the whole line, not every one that was ever sold, but the one in that car. Believe me, if I had an answer, I'd give it to you.

Clutches have seemed to give me trouble. But I agree this clutch has gotten a F-You rating with me. But this means the car has to come back apart and I am just tired of it. I am tired of something I don't expect or shouldn't have an issue with doing this.

This car is way over built, it should laugh at what I do to it because it can take so much more instead it just laughs at me because I never get to actually use it without having a problem.

Always the quandary when you buy a used car, seldom are they ever perfect. Same goes for any heavily modified car, there are going to be hiccups.

Tough situation, I'm sure you're just having a pity party right now, just snug up them britches and dig into it like you have every other vehicle you've had. Whatever you decided if the car is yours, you need to make it YOURS and mod it to YOUR driving style

" I say we take off an nuke the entire site from orbit."

Its the only way to be sure.

Pissed off yes, Pitty no. I have torn this car apparent completely changed it from when Chris had it but its got its own personality much like Big Poppa... hints my comment.

Either way there comes a time when you realize you have spent 90% of your time working on the car and 10% trying to enjoy it without a lot of success. That's when you get to this point.

I have been putting some serious thought into just where to go from here but I have to be honest I have no desire to pull it apart again. In fact I hate the idea I am tired of it.

JLs Mistress

Aren't you trying to sell this car ? I thought you offered it to Kahuna1 said it was a great car ? Might be a hard sell now

There are times when the car wants to be the master, and you either bend to it's wishs, or you teach it your ways. or you laugh at it and sell it....

Your corvette sounds like it does not like to be placed in competion and is letting you know that, She is a sunday driver for some old person, especially if she is of the green color....

Aren't you trying to sell this car ? I thought you offered it to Kahuna1 said it was a great car ? Might be a hard sell now

That I did, according to the build and everything in it both Loud Pedal and CPR said this was a solid build they did disagree on things such as the clutch used but this car was very well built hints my frustration after the last problem that the dealership took care of to suddenly find it having an issue where it shouldn't. As for selling it yes I have been putting a lot of thought into it just due to the fact I am tired of taking things apart I would just like to enjoy them, upgrade then when I feel the need and not feel like I am constantly battling an inanimate object. That's why I went to such great lengths to redo most everything I have, install a Trans/Diff Brace, Build up the fuel system, leave the tunes to NicD, replace the suspension, interior, electronics, put on a new front bumper and repaint both the front and rear bumpers, basically jump on anything that would ensure it was 110% done and ready. Problem is that just has not worked. Even CPR has said this car looks much much better than it did before, yet here we are with a new component that is technically supposed to rock for the car not handling whats happening. So you be the judge, is the car not being built to be well done or is it just running into issues it shouldn't be?

wickedfastvette

I think the bigger question is..."What would 417 do?" :P

He would change the wheels....

"easier said than done in 417s world". :facepalm: Anyone know how to replace a sunvisor?

Seems like a clutch change would be an easy deal .... then you'd be set to go ..... Knowing discouragements come .... you can't give it up now .... you're awfully damn close to having it just the way you want it ..... There are plenty of guys on here that can give you a good recommendation for an over all performance clutch .... #justdoit!!!

I am talking to Steve @ Loud Pedal now, seems Monster may be willing to warranty the clutch depending on how this goes but it has to come out ASAP. So it becomes how can I make this happen....

Guest racingchester

My question is.....How can you blame the car for the parts you put into it? I was at SIR and talked to Cross. Was he mad...You bet. I saw him make 3 passes...one was in the 13s. Did not sound like (at least where I was at) the clutch was slipping, at least not nearly as bad as the first pass I saw. One of the people I was with made his elimination run at 9.05 168 I believe. They were going to make one pass to see if they could get into the 8s. Story ended....first, second, back to first. engine did not like real high rpms. They turn about 10,500 on a pass so you can imagine how high it ran. Can you blame the car for failure? If its mechanical you have to expect failure some where along the line. Even I as an old guy who is somewhat sensible expect it. My .02

"easier said than done in 417s world". :facepalm: Anyone know how to replace a sunvisor?

^^^ :lol ^^^