Flying teh SR-71 Blackbird

MOTV8

We've had some threads about the Blackbird before but I don't think this is a dupe. It's a good read about being an actual pilot of the SR-71, enjoy:

Linky: http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/7/5447310/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-interview

Posted Image

best quote: "You just hated to come back with poop in your pants." :lol

Too bad teh pilot isn't an ACE member, that would make for an awesome tagline....

fun read, I miss the booms overhead these days!

I remember my grandmother swearing when the BOOM made all the windows and dishes rattle. :lol

I've seen the SR-71 in action when it emergency landed in Minot, ND when I was stationed there and again when I was TDY to RAF Mildenhall, UK. I would sprout wood every time that thing took off as it was a sight to see for sure.

Thanks for the link.

If you are a true motorhead, you should have spotted an error in the interview. So who's going to be the first with the answer?

They used twin Buick motors in the original starter carts, but later switched to the Chevy big block 454's :thumbs

Unless Tom is talking about the poop line, where it is stated you hated coming back it, instead of coming back in...

You just hated to come back it with poop in your pants.

Since Tom referenced being a true motorhead I'm sticking with the displacement discrepancy. :lol

I've seen the SR-71 in action when it emergency landed in Minot, ND when I was stationed there and again when I was TDY to RAF Mildenhall, UK. I would sprout wood every time that thing took off as it was a sight to see for sure.

Same thing happened at DM down in Tucson in the late 80's, when I worked at the FAA facility on base.

Seeing the radar track of that plane coming down from altitude at speed was pretty cool. Base lock down while it was on the ground (9:00 p.m. or so).

All this SR 71 stuff has me reminiscing about a Tucson cruise we had to the airplane museum a few years ago.... They have one sitting there!

Anyone intrested????

Samantha got her first ticket later that night on the way home driving daddies Corvette ... :lol

Since Tom referenced being a true motorhead I'm sticking with the displacement discrepancy. :lol

Yep! Since some of the guys at the skunk works were hot rodders and the 402 Buick was the big cube motor of choice in the early 60's, those became the first starter motors. The later ones used the LS7 454 BB Chevy. I suspect Chevy produced more LS7's for the SR-71 than they did for cars. The unit in Tucson is a late one. Supposedly, every base that had personnel to provide services, also had 3 starter carts (2 + a backup) with 2 engines per cart.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All this SR 71 stuff has me reminiscing about a Tucson cruise we had to the airplane museum a few years ago.... They have one sitting there!

Anyone intrested????

Samantha got her first ticket later that night on the way home driving daddies Corvette ... :lol

I'm always up for a cruise to the Pima Air Museum.

Anyone intrested????

That was a fun day, except for poor Sam!

Im still mind blown that this thing was built over 60 years ago. Makes you wonder what they have now...

Anyone intrested????

I'm always up for a cruise to the Pima Air Museum.

Wouldn't be much of a "cruise" for me, since I live about 2 miles away, but I'd like to GTG!

I have 5 hours of back seat time between the F4 and the F16 but going up in the Blackbird woutd put most of that to shame....most likely!!!