Windows XP support ends nxt month

dale68z

My main computer at the shop runs XP. Since there will be no XP updates, won't my antivirus/firewall and spam blocker protect my PC? Changing OS will be a major deal for us. In my opinion I might as well buy a new PC. Should I continue with XP or change to 7?

Better question, what does the main shop PC do?

aka How often is it online, receiving files from questionable sources and surfing those questionable sites concerning those circus.... things.

aka How often is it online, receiving files from questionable sources and surfing those questionable sites concerning those circus.... things.

cross is spot on.

if that XP machine NEVERS sees the internet (a method for bad internets to arrive) then you have time.

if you do upgrade go to windows 7, not win 8.

:withstupid It's teh worst version of Windows that I've ever used....

:withstupid It's teh worst version of Windows that I've ever used....

You've never used MS Bob then have you? LOL

cross is spot on.

if that XP machine NEVERS sees the internet (a method for bad internets to arrive) then you have time.

All the pc's can get on line. The main PC is the only XP left.

The main PC does not see a questionable site... besides this site. Now, the other PC's, the work stations the employees use are windows 7 and I have no idea what sites they may go to.

I did google "scat crankshaft" a couple of years ago. There was some interesting stuff that came up that I had to check out.

I guess I just need to suck it up and do it. It will be inevitable.

sounds like a great time to upgrade - to Apple!

JK - I know the complexities. But keep the info coming as I am curious what others are doing as I have a laptop and desktop running XP, that are not upgradeable.

I am planning to go with a Mac-mini, as I have managed to figure out how integrate my work as Mac files and make them compatible (pdf's) with the rest of the PC nerds at work. Which also means they can't butcher my documents or change them without my knowing. Also, all of the instructor staff is moving to iPads as a condition of employment.

I am a Rock, I am an Island.

cross is spot on.

All the pc's can get on line. The main PC is the only XP left.

The main PC does not see a questionable site... besides this site. Now, the other PC's, the work stations the employees use are windows 7 and I have no idea what sites they may go to.

I did google "scat crankshaft" a couple of years ago. There was some interesting stuff that came up that I had to check out.

I guess I just need to suck it up and do it. It will be inevitable.

Honestly with what you are doing, unless you keep financial data on it I don't see a reason to do anything other than keeping your Antivirus updated.

If you are going to upgrade Windows 7 is quite cheap now so just pick up a version of that if you really want to upgrade, but if you buy a new computer 90% have Windows 8 or 8.1. I like Windows 8.1 now that I have been using it for months, it does not give me any issues at all it just took a little getting used to. But for what you need I would only go that route if it came with a new computer.

As a general rule, your XP system is vulnerable in 3 key areas that YOU have complete control over :

1) Internet browser exploits

2) Outdated virus and malware protection

3) User files which are transported/imported/read from portabile products such as USB thumbdrives, etc.

If the system in question MUST access web content (including e-mail), that will be your biggest hurdle in securing the system. Most viral content content will come by way of accessing infected sites by direct or involuntary means (url link in an e-mail or web site you visit, opening an e-mail attachment, etc.). If you use an elevated privleged account (an administrator account) when using your system, consider lowering that account back down to a general user.

Have a read here, which will give you some pointers on securing a legacy O/S when support has been pulled.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2102606/how-to-keep-your-pc-secure-when-microsoft-ends-windows-xp-support.html

Good luck on finding a disk to load Win 7 with. MS has already recalled all Win 7 install disk. The only way to get win 7 is to download it from the network. You can still buy systems that have 7 loaded but most only come from the after market computer systems. I bought a new computer in December an found most new computers only came with Win 8 or 8.1 at Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. I question if you can even find a new one with win 7 unless it is reconditioned.

By the way I have read that MS intends to release Win 9 in 2015 to get away from Win 8 ASAP. Now if that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy then nothing will.