Prism TV

Bigfoot

We had it for a short time it kept freezing up, I finally got fed up with it & told them to take it back. We had a poor signal on our internet supply,they tried to fix it 3 times without luck but we got rid of it & went back to Direct for TV.

After the last price increase from Cox, we decided it was time for a change. I have not tried Prism, but in customer reviews I found that the customer service was not the best. We decided on Direct TV, which is working extremely well and we are trying Century Link for our Internet. So far, so good on both.

Well, Prism is offering a killer deal right now. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. We are getting three boxes, whole home DVR, wireless tv for $50 less per month.

Before we switched, Cox offered to take $10.00 dollars off our bill when we inquired about the last rate increase. We were customers for 12 + years. After we cancelled them and switched, they sent us an offer for a little over half of what we were paying for 12 months. I am glad we switched. I think you will be happy too. Just have to get used to the new channel numbers......

Have DirecTV now and have been seeing the ads. Let me know how it goes Ted. The prices look pretty good.

joe@cpr.com

When Google fiber comes to Phoenix all of these companies will be shaking in their boots. I can't wait!

After the last price increase from Cox, we decided it was time for a change. I have not tried Prism, but in customer reviews I found that the customer service was not the best. We decided on Direct TV, which is working extremely well and we are trying Century Link for our Internet. So far, so good on both.

I made the same switches myself from Comcast though.

Qwest/Century Link Fiber Optic Rocks, Direct TV is fine but then I like Netflix, no commercials. So I really haven't used it.

I have Netflix too, but barely use it. Kids use it a lot though.

So...then it begs the question, what type of TV content do you watch ?

I think that is a bigger question than what type of transmission medium you prefer.

Do you currently have broadband Internet service at your home, and what speeds do you subscribe too if you do ?

Personally, I want to have local channels and I don't want to have any sizeable antenna on my house for over the air broadcast. I kinda live far from south mountain where they broadcast from. Call me crazy, but I also don't like the look of satellite dishes on my house, either. Plus, DirectTV, Dish Network, etc, don't provide internet and land line, either, as far as I know. I need a land line (for now) with my alarm.

As far as internet, as long as I have enough bandwidth to stream an occasional Netflix and run the home wifi for the phones and iPad, I do not need ultimate speed. 15Mb/s for us is enough.

The extra features, equipment, and channels I could get with CenturyLink was much greater than Cox, plus it was $50 less per month, guaranteed pricing for 24 months.

The only question left for me is: Will it work well? There's a 30 day guarantee, if we don't like it.

We cut the landline last year, call your alarm company and ask for a cell connection, our's was only $7.99 a month compared to the $30 a month century link bill.

I dropped Century Link (6migs max) and switched to DSL cable modem and usually see 13.5megs...

Dropped Dish for cable america (only thing here) and it sucked, one month later Dish's offer to get us back was nice plus we now have the hopper which really rocks, it has a terabyte hard drive, right now we have 83 shows and movies recorded and it's only at 20% used.

I hear you Ted. I cut my ties with all of the TV providers some years ago when I simply looked at my viewing habits and saw I paid for services and channels I just didn't use. I had been a subscriber to satelite broadcast since 1995 when the NFL Sunday Ticket was introduced. As the provider upped the annual cost, charged a premium for the HD feeds, etc. , I had finally had enough. I found I could pickup a majority of the games via the Internet thru various off-shore feeds, and I've always had a media center or two attached to my main viewing screens.

Today, I use a combination of over-the-air transmission and Internet based services for all my TV broadcast needs.

I use a small in-house Terk Silver Star antenna to pickup my local channels, which is VERY difficult for me as I live directly on the side of a hill which blocks all line of sight to anything directly south of me (South Mountain is where all the transmitters are located, 32 miles away as the crow flies), as well as the power transmission lines that run east-west across the city. With the small Terk antenna, I pickup hi-def for channels 3.1 , 5.1, and 15.1 .......low-def 0n 3.2, 5.2, 10.2, 15.2 , and the majority of UHF transmissions. That covers my local news and whatever stuff the local's provide.

I pay $62/month for my Cox "25Mbps" Internet service, then use computers/tablets/smartphones, Roku 3 players, etc. to stream Netflix, Hulu (and HuluPlus), and other web based content. You'd might be suprised what's available via YouTube ;-)

Hulu is free (Hulu Plus is 7.99/month) , gf has a Netflix account (7.99/month) and some type of Amazon video account associated with her Amazon Prime account.

What sucks is that you see all these providers offer great deals initally, but then hit you for the reoccuring monthly equipment rental lease (DVR, HD DVR, etc.), which can easily add $15-25 to your monthly bill. Some even ask for a premium for you to have hi-def channels.

Just to add to the Mix.. Redbox has come out with a streaming account. With it you get 4 DVD's included a month. I think it was $8.99

JLs Mistress

I would like to cut my ties to Cox except for the internet . I thought if I purchased a Google box that would do it . That was a mistake on my part way to limited and slow. So next I purchased a Minix X7 Quad Core Processor: Rockchip RK3066 Dual-Core Cortex A9 Processor (1.6GHz) GPU: Quad-Core Mali 400 2gb DDR3 Ram 8gb Internal Storage FULL 1008P HD OUTPUT.

Added newest version of XBMC plus all of the latest add-ons. End user just plug and play free movies, TV shows, PPV sport and much more.. If you haven't tried XBMC check out the web site ..

Only down side is it requires a box for each TV. Or you can load it on your PC and smart phone....

The box I have is the Minix NeoX7 Quad Core Android Box but this is by no means your only choice . price range $60.00 - $250.00. This is a one time expense

Only reason I did not go with the 99.00 box or the 35.00 stick is I needed two types of audio out and some offer headphone out as well....

Check out the XBMC web site see if this set up will work for you . This will not work for all people because it is not as easy as selecting Channel 3 on the TV at least that's what my wife tells me.

Yep....and Roku has that new channel as part of it's interface. Once they added YouTube to the official channel feeds, it became my prefered streaming device in my home and I haven't looked back since. Even friends who have Apple TV have converted over to Roku's.

I've been reliving some of the old shows from my youth...McKale's Navy, I Dream Of Jeannie, My Favorite Martian, the Hulk, Gilligan's Island, BeWitched, etc LOL.

I've also begun watching all the season's of the X-Files, from the beginning.

Actually, CenturyLink is offering free HD and two boxes (1 is wireless) for life if you sign up for the right package. The only charge is $8 per month for each additional box over 2. I signed up for the second to highest tier (excluding Cinemax and HBO). Guaranteed fixed price at $165 (after taxes) for 24 months.

Cox was charging an extra $10 for digital cable (HD), $9 for each of my two boxes, and $9 for DVR service, and $9 for the sports/info channels EVERY MONTH. When I called, they offered to take $5 off my monthly bill of $216. Also, watching Cox on the iPad was almost impossible.

Believe me, I'll be honest and let you know if I think CenturyLink sucks. I'm getting it installed on Thursday. At least I'll save $50/month for two years, have more channels, more equipment, two wireless receivers, whole home DVR and mobile device viewing.

watching Cox on the iPad was almost impossible.

TMI dood........................ Don't ask/don't tell

Oh yeah, well I don't see you posting your browser history! :)

Oh yeah, well I don't see you posting your browser history! :)

Why? NSA is already on that job, it'll be public record at some point I'm sure

Yeah....I gave up on those high TV cost long ago. Sub $70 cost for my TV viewing and Internet needs now, and no contracts.

Keep this thread updated with your experience :thumbs

Honestly, if I lived alone and could get TV streamed to my phone/computer, I wouldn't even have cable.

Are you that opposed to trying a small in-house antenna to attempt to pickup your local channels ?

You can use this site to get general information and antenna recommendations for the local channels broadcast in our area.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

And, just in case you don't know what Apple TV or Roku 3 (or Chromecast) streamers are, and their capabilities .....

http://cnettv.cnet.com/roku-3-vs-apple-tv-3rd-gen-rematch/9742-1_53-50161704.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57618504-221/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-appletv-chromecast-compared,review-2006.html

With a family of 5, our viewing interests are hugely varied and across many networks. Our DVR runs A LOT...almost constantly in the evening it seems and something every day of the week. With Directv (2 boxes) we have the ability to record 7 things at a time. Two on one box and five on the other. If we want to watch something at the same time on a particular TV, we lose the ability to record one on each being watched...hasn't been a problem since we got the new box though.

Our new TV has Netflix built in, so we can select and stream directly through its wifi...no extra equipment needed. We have everything bundled through Centurylink (phone, internet, cell phones, and directv). I've been very happy with the service of all of it, but cost is always an issue. That's why when I looked at their pricing I got curious.

I will definitely be looking for your review Ted.