word of caution about small town Police officers

ChadC

this is a good video to watch.

now let me be clear, im not posting this to bash cops. I think the response and and warning by Mr Greenwood at the end of the video best summaries my thoughts.

there may be whats wright and wrong

there may be the law on your side

and then there is whats happens on the side of the road in the middle of the night. When you are not having a constitutional conversation, but having a conversation with another person that has the power to do a lot of harm. Not necessarily physical, but financial and emotional.

something to be mindful of when driving cross country.

I don't agree with it, and it makes my stomach turn, but I'm aware that is the world we live in.

don't take this as gospel, but if it correct, its a good thing

USER- "I live near in Wichita Falls, about 30 miles from Electra and work at one of the news stations here. The attorney's contract was not renewed with the city, the police chief was fired a few months ago, and neither of the officers in the video are with the police department anymore. In fact, the whole department was turned over recently."

If I get pulled over I do whatever the officer asks me to do and I say thank you. This guy wasn't nice from the get go.. I have never had a problem with any officer. There job is hard enough.

Wow...just, wow. I am very pro-cop normally, but that was just something else. Now teh guy did have a bit of an attitude, but nothing that should be responded to by professionals in that manner, and teh follow-up by teh prosecutor was just ridiculous.

OMG! I've never been through Electra TX, but I've been in and all around the Amarillo and Lubbock TX area as mentioned and can tell you that you're in a whole other world in that part of the country in west Texas. It's one of those..."Boy! You ain't from arounf here are ya? You in a heap a trouble". Don't ask me how I know this. East NM is almost as bad, trust me.

Not sayin' that guy was right or wrong, tool or not, but to poke the bear in that part of the country is NOT in you're best interest.

I don't see how the guy was a tool. He complied when asked...he didn't become a "tool" until the "jackboot" started searching his car without permission.

That cop had NO RIGHT to open that door and start looking around. Period

That was pretty damn scary.

If teh guy hadn't added teh Deliverance part, it would have carried a little more weight, IMHO.

Just damn! It's funny just how fast the roadside stop went downhill over nothing, I was waiting for a taser or guns drawn.... The prosecuter needs to be barred!

I'd be willing to wager that Ted's training and response to the would be driver would have been SIGNIFICANTLY different.

Yeah, that was pretty scary to say the least. I was stopped several years back about 20 miles west of Amarillo for doing 75 in a 70 by Texas DPS and nothing like this even happened. Of course this was not at night, he was very polite and he gave me a warning instead of a ticket and I shook his hand when he was done. I do think that because I showed him my emergency leave papers and mil ID card probably had something to do with him letting me go with a warning too.

I'd be willing to wager that Ted's training and response to the would be driver would have been SIGNIFICANTLY different.

I'd be more interested to hear the conversations if Ted had been the one who the cops were talking to.

Yeah, that was pretty scary to say the least. I was stopped several years back about 20 miles west of Amarillo for doing 75 in a 70 by Texas DPS and nothing like this even happened. Of course this was not at night, he was very polite and he gave me a warning instead of a ticket and I shook his hand when he was done. I do think that because I showed him my emergency leave papers and mil ID card probably had something to do with him letting me go with a warning too.

For 5 over? Wow

For 5 over? Wow

Yep, I had the cruise set and was all by myself came up over a bridge and there he was in the median facing WB and he got me.

I actually don't have a problem with anything the driver did.

That's because you are polite, don't have a chip on your shoulder and would apply sound logic and reasoning and listen to what he was saying since he wasn't the driver.

I just viewed the video and I agree with Ted. I don't see anything wrong with what the driver did. Could he have caused himself a lot less grief yes but that was a chose he made and he was fully within his rights. I also agree with the speech the prosecutor gave at the end. When I worked Auto Theft in the mid 80's I had an auto thief arrested in west Texas. I explained that it would be the better part two days before I could get the paperwork to start extradition and asked how long they would hold the subject. The cop's response was "how long you want him held?" I asked if the subject would wave extradition and the cop said "he'll wave", "we had one ol boy hold out for thirty days once but he finally waved".

For 5 over? Wow

5 Over ,,,,, That BIG .... Everything in Texas is big ...... :laughing gut bustin:

For 5 over? Wow

yea when near DFW I do not go 1 MPH over. I have cops buzz me for going 3 over there.

I got pulled over for 67 in a 65 in Texas (in a semi). I had the cruise control set at 64, I wasn't even trying to speed. He gave me a warning with a lecture about the importance of commercial vehicles not exceeding the speed limit. . .

I thought being stopped for 2 mph over was a bit ridiculous.

My older son was stopped on the way to Lubbock, TX for 67 in a 65. When DPS asked why he was speeding, he pointed to his wife who was having their baby and they were rushing to the hospital in Lubbock. The cop did let him go and said to get the heck out of there, but be safe. I guess he didn't want to help with the roadside delivery. :P

Bromley's Corvettes

WOW that cop needs to find another line of work. I have been pulled over many times over the years usually for speeding and most of the time the cop was professional and no problems. I have also been stopped a few times that it was clear the cop was having a bad day and looking for trouble. That could have turned real bad real fast if that guy had training and instinct kicked in when the cop grabbed his hand. The cop could have ended up on the ground and then the other cop probably would have shot the guy lol. The guy was very lucky he was able to get a copy of the dash cam a lot of times it gets lost or they cant find it but then when you go to court they have a copy for the Judge and its on a lap top lol. Ask me how I no lol. Its crazy he was not even driving. I always give the cop all my info and I.D when asked I think it makes you look real guilty if you give a cop a hard time about it. If you dont have any warrants or not on the run why not just give I.D so he can see that and chill out.

Bromley's Corvettes

Not just a small town problem I had a cop in Scottsdale that would have made things real bad real fast if I had given him any trouble. He was waiting for his chance to over react. When he pulled me over it was very clear he was mad and ready to go off. I have learned to be more car full I cant get anymore tickets lol.