NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Catbacks Install

jmxp69

I know the catback install is fairly easy cutting the stock pipes or on a lift. Really don't like the idea of doing a balancing act with 2x4's and jack stands. So what options are there other than paying a shop? I'd really rather do it myself. I need access to a lift for 30 minutes.

Do they let people do work on cars while on the lift? I thought that was just for 'inspecting' or something. If I can get this thing on a lift there are a couple of little things I'd like to do: CAGS, Anti-Venom, and of course the catbacks.

If you need help, I've done it too many times and you don't always have to cut it off. :crayon:

Thanks for the offer! I'll be in touch :coool:

Guest badbobs95

If you need help, I've done it too many times and you don't always have to cut it off. :crayon:

Thanks for the offer! I'll be in touch :coool:

And we will be doing all of that at Corvette Performance Arizona on Scottsdale Rd. between McDowell and Thomas RD. You have to join (it's free) and make an appointment to use the lift. Two, three, four hours is fine. Just no fluid changes because it's not legal without a proper license. Give me some notice and I'll meet you there almost anytime as I'm retired but I stay busy detailing and doing clear bras.

Already joined and have my card. I'm going to GHL Saturday to check out his catbacks. GHL has some bad press from when Jeff and his brother split the business. Apparently he moved production to the Philippines and it was a disaster. Now he's producing in the US again. He's agreed to let me see the catbacks before I buy. Hopefully they've got their production issues sorted out.

Thanks again for the offer. I'll keep you posted.

I installed the catbacks tonight in my garage. Jacked it up, cut the old pipes out, installed GHL Bullets. Smiled. This car sounds 100% better. Between my sound barrier install, sound system, and catbacks, my Corvette sounds like it always should have.

Off to figure out what to do next....

PS Thanks again for the offer Badbob, but those pipes were just sitting in my garage taunting me. I really had no choice but to knock it out.

Guest badbobs95

I installed the catbacks tonight in my garage. Jacked it up, cut the old pipes out, installed GHL Bullets. Smiled. This car sounds 100% better. Between my sound barrier install, sound system, and catbacks, my Corvette sounds like it always should have.

PS Thanks again for the offer Badbob, but those pipes were just sitting in my garage taunting me. I really had no choice but to knock it out.

No problemo! Next, long tubes and air intake. Big improvement.

I'm startling to think you aren't one to burn day light.

Nope. Idle hands and all that. I'd be doing wheels right now if anybody was shipping Brickyards :)

Ya, they're on the list. Thinking of the Haltech Venom II. Any header suggestions?

Guest badbobs95

I'm startling to think you aren't one to burn day light.

Nope. Idle hands and all that. I'd be doing wheels right now if anybody was shipping Brickyards :)

Ya, they're on the list. Thinking of the Haltech Venom II. Any header suggestions?

I have LG pro long tubes but that doesn't mean anything. I would call Joe at CPR or Steve at LPM for suggestions because I don't know the difference from one to the other.

joe@cpr.com

The new airaid system we helped develop for the C5 is really nice, if you want to check it out I have it on my personal C5 and the quality rivals that of the Halltech. In terms of headers I really prefer kooks (we stock them btw) as LG's have a bunch of slip fit connections for the mid pipe that are absolutely terrible.

The new airaid system we helped develop for the C5 is really nice, if you want to check it out I have it on my personal C5 and the quality rivals that of the Halltech. In terms of headers I really prefer kooks (we stock them btw) as LG's have a bunch of slip fit connections for the mid pipe that are absolutely terrible.

Thanks Joe. I've been spending quite a bit of my recent downtime thinking about what I want to do next. I've come to the conclusion that I will probably wait on headers until I decide if/what else I want to do to the top end. Consensus seems to be headers alone are 'ok', but to really make a difference they should be combined with other upgrades like intake, cam, and maybe even head work. Would you agree? I really can't see paying ~$1500+ for a marginal gain.

Right now I'm left considering some modest top end work including headers or just sticking with my 'show' mods and looking at FI options.

Lot of reflection/reading going on right now :)

pArdon my stupidity but what are GHL'S?

GHL has a bit of a history. A few years ago they were producing a very nice quality product and getting some solid reviews on CF. The company owners split and the surviving owner took production overseas which was an unmitigated disaster. That year overseas caused severe brand damage due to very poor quality control and shoddy workmanship. When this was pointed out to me, I wavered in my pick of GHLs. That was about the time Jeff (current owner) called me and told me he moved production back to the US and quality was back to the level from years prior. He now has high quality/experienced production in-place. I suggested we meet so I could inspect the product before laying the cash down. He is in Scottsdale and immediately agreed. We spent about an hour in a parking lot discussing the history of his company, his future plans, and what he's done to get back on track.

I couldn't see anything visually wrong with the pipes, so I bought them and I'm glad I did. None of the motorboat issues some have observed with Corsas. Absolutely no drone that I've been able to find (top up/down various rpms/speeds). They aren't harsh and they don't have that gurgling noise on decel. IMHO they sound precisely what the Corvette should sound like. A warm deep rumble. Very civil with light throttle and mildly aggressive when you put your foot in it. Absolutely no mistaking for stock.

Exhaust discussions seem to result in lots of opinions and you know what they say about those. So I don't mean to disparage any other make. I'll just say I'm quite happy with these pipes on my car.

joe@cpr.com

Headers definitely are worthwhile on average people pick up in a c5 30-35 rwhp. And make solid gains all across the rpm range. My c5 when it was bolt ons (ls1 6spd) made 363 rwhp.

• 1 month later...

I have a stock C5 and have been getting the itch to do some upgrades on HP and started with the exhaust. I would like to come see your C5 and see what the airaid system looks like on the car and what other little things I could do that would help get me those extra HP's I'm looking for.

joe@cpr.com

I have a stock C5 and have been getting the itch to do some upgrades on HP and started with the exhaust. I would like to come see your C5 and see what the airaid system looks like on the car and what other little things I could do that would help get me those extra HP's I'm looking for.
Sounds good sir! Swing by anytime Mon - Fri :)

• 4 weeks later...