82 eng re-build

Lurch

Well it is time to re-build my 82 motor. I figured I am not the first to make changes and here would be the place to ask. I just want a good running motor with little more kick. I am thinking of putting a stroker kit in it and installing a low rise manifold and carb and put in a mild cam. I will be leaving the stock pipes but will still be running straight through glass packs in the rear.

Now the questions. The reason for the carb is that my crossfire needs work, the throttle bodies need shafts and bushings, the Renagade manifold is still not available and can get a new manifold and carbs cheaper then a Renagade. Will the stock heads work ok? If I go with the low pro manifold will I have a hood clearance issue? Should I go with the stroker kit or or just bore it straight and kick up the compression a little? Should I just go to Chevy and for $1500 get a 260 HP motor and put the manifold and carb on. I know everyone will have an idea on this and I am totally open to all ideas. Thanks, Lurch

Sounds like you're pretty open or still unsure of the direction you want to go .... but I'll give you an opinion ...... and you'll get many .......

An overall "refesh" of what you have will get you running good and a little kick can come with a little better cam. ... Headers would also help here as well .....

Stroker .... you're talking big bucks .... including intake, carb and new heads ... again headers would also be in order........ the heads that are on it now will hold you back a lot ........ Your current CFI can be refreshed with not too much expense as there are folks right here in town that can handle that for you (and I just happen to have OEM TBs that were just bushed not that long ago) .... And there may be a Renegade come available soon with 2" TBs ... that yet to be confirmed.

A crate motor of course could be an option, but seldom do we see the customer meet all the goals going this route .... and even with a warranty, you don't always know what your getting ..... parts is parts .... how they're put together however is a whole nother discussion .......

It would appear the first thing you'll want to do is determine exactly what you want out of the engine .... second .. determine your budget .... between the two will dictate the direction of the build.

just my 2 cents ........ and I'm certain others will chime in with recommendations ....

Bromley's Corvettes

Let us know what kinda budget you have to work with and what your long term goals for the car are and we can point you in the right direction:) You dont need to do a stroker motor a 350c.i with good heads and cam and intake and headers will make good power. Also a converter will really wake the car up:)

Factory heads are crap..... stock exhaust is crap.... Go with Doug Thorley's Tri Y headers and whatever brand heads you like and you will never look back.

Keeping the crossfire is my first choice, but you have to make that choice yourself. Talk to Tom (Buccaneer) about it first!

If you build a 383 you are only using the block, rods and tin parts. Machine work and balancing eat up money and time (unless you are not in a hurry). A .030 bore flat top piston rebuild with a 72 cc head and mild cam will get you 400 hp without a large investment and will burn pump gas. Don't use the stock heads under any circumstances. They are probably cracked between the seats anyway. If it was my car I would buy a ZZ350 short block and put a good aftermarket head on it (there are several), and keep the original engine in one piece for posterity. I am not a fan of the cheap GM crate motor, but that's just me.

Don't have any knowledge of the Crossfire. There are several manifolds that will fit your car.

And do you need it to be smog legal? I have a collector car policy on my car so not a problem for me.

I know where there is an original, low 21k mile 1982 for sale.....

Well, It all comes down to $$$ at the end of the day. How much do you want to spend? Sorry that we don't have a Renegade manifold for you at the moment, but we do have a lot of casting at the machine shop as I type this just waiting to be machined and should be ready to ship within the next two weeks. TBs are a piece of cake to rebuild if you want to go that route as well and we can do these if you like. Whatever you do...DO NOT buy a GM crate 350, 290hp motor and decide you want to keep the CFI system, IT WON'T WORK! That is a 8:1 CR motor and the vacuum is way to low for CFI.

Also, if you decide to go with a stroker, you WILL have to replace your stock ECM and go to the "darkside" and do laptop tuning. If you move to a carb, it's not an issue. Carbs IMO are for poeple that have no clue about computers and how to tune. A well tuned stroker CFI will run circles around a carbed motor and is more efficent. Getting the tune correct is the trick. My 383 runs fine, but I plan on updaing my tune a bit soon now that I'm back in AZ.

Heads are another option and the stock heads are not that great, like mentioned. I would go with a .030 over 350/355 motor, a slightly better cam than stock, (just keep the duration close to stock spec and you'll be fine with stock ECM) and go with maybe a 170 or 180 runner head, but no larger than 180. You could also raise the CR a little as well to maybe 9.5ish for a little bit more kick. I would also do the Doug Thorley's Tri Y headers like mentioned by Dwayne. I'm pretty sure you can still get them for an 82 from Dougy. Stock injectors should be OK, just have to increase the FP a bit or move to a 2" TB and maybe 75# injectors.

If you like, shoot me a PM or you could give me a call and we can talk for a bit about what you want to do. BTW, Hal may have some parts left over for you. Do you Hal?

PLEASE, PLEASE Keep the info coming. I am trying to stay in the $2000 area. I am not against the Renagade if it will be in the next 90 to 120 days. I am not in a hurry to make this all happen I just want to have everything lined up and not have to compensate when I went with the wrong thing. I hate trying to talk on the phone some shops for guidance during their business hours cause I know they have enough going on during the day. I really want to have a face to face with the folks at dynamic cross-fire but they are only there Mon to Fri. He deserves his weekend. I work Mon to Fri 7 to 5 or 6 turning wrenches at a truck dealer so until I can get some time off this is not going to be possible. And lets face it, I don't spend enough time now with my family, try explaining that I am taking time off to go talk to someone about my toy! Thanks everyone!

PLEASE, PLEASE Keep the info coming. I am trying to stay in the $2000 area. I am not against the Renagade if it will be in the next 90 to 120 days. I am not in a hurry to make this all happen I just want to have everything lined up and not have to compensate when I went with the wrong thing. I hate trying to talk on the phone some shops for guidance during their business hours cause I know they have enough going on during the day. I really want to have a face to face with the folks at dynamic cross-fire but they are only there Mon to Fri. He deserves his weekend. I work Mon to Fri 7 to 5 or 6 turning wrenches at a truck dealer so until I can get some time off this is not going to be possible. And lets face it, I don't spend enough time now with my family, try explaining that I am taking time off to go talk to someone about my toy! Thanks everyone!

If you're going to the BBQ on the 8th, I'll be there if you want to talk and I'll have the 82 there.

With that budget in mind ... I'd have to ask .... why do you think you need a total rebuild ???

I too will be at the BBQ .... maybe we can all hook up for a good discussion ...... bring your best girl with ya !!! Always a fun cruise .... good food ... and great friends !!!

Go RENEGADE!

Tom's 82' is one of the sweetest CF's I know of...I even got to tickle her insides during the build. At first glance it looks really stock, but if you hear it, you'll know she's no stock garage queen.

Before I saw Tom's I was convinced the CF motor was a big mistake no one should ever make - but I'm a believer, we have the technology.

Remember to take lot's of pic's with the appropriate requisite pointing!