NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Guest SeeSeven

Guest SeeSeven

Being new(ish) to the club I don't know if the prospect of a club event at Inde Motorsports Ranch has already been discussed. If it has and it is not something the club wants to do or CAN do then you can let this topic die.

If there is interest then let's discuss it prior to March 29th when I will be there for the PCA/SAR event at which time I can talk to CJ and get the skinny on what it takes to get a weekend scheduled including insurance and such.

We already have an in through Hunter. There does not seem to be enough interest through ACE membership to warrant a affordable track day at Inde. If you get on Hunter's Inde's Wish List he will notify you as soon as a possible track event is planned. However don't delay in getting your money to him. The last event filled up in a week. They have become very popular and at a maximum of 30 cars you can't think about it for long. SLAMMER

Four run groups with only 8 cars in each group. On a 2.75 mile course. This is a don't miss event if you have had any intrest to see what your car is capable of in a safe and controlled environment. I'm surprised there is not more intrest in this kind of event. Try it just once. It's a adrenaline rush ? ? SLAMMER ?

Guest SeeSeven

We already have an in through Hunter. There does not seem to be enough interest through ACE membership to warrant a affordable track day at Inde. If you get on Hunter's Inde's Wish List he will notify you as soon as a possible track event is planned. However don't delay in getting your money to him. The last event filled up in a week. They have become very popular and at a maximum of 30 cars you can't think about it for long. SLAMMER

I'll update this thread after the PCA/SAR event. I haven't participated in anything but motocross, so a real track is a bit intimidating. But, FYI for other "novices," the Porche club is not for Porsches only (you don't even have to join to participate in an event) and has certified instructors who will take you under their wing (ride with you) with strict track rules to keep everyone's car in tact. After I go through it I'll report to this thread to let everyone know how it works in case others in the club are interested in improving driving skills rather than be intimidated by the prospect of being dropped onto the track with the big dogs. Something like this could be a good entrance into track driving without much risk of hurting your pretty Corvette baby. I sure don't want my 3 month old C7 altered in any way!

I'll update this thread after the PCA/SAR event. I haven't participated in anything but motocross, so a real track is a bit intimidating. But, FYI for other "novices," the Porche club is not for Porsches only (you don't even have to join to participate in an event) and has certified instructors who will take you under their wing (ride with you) with strict track rules to keep everyone's car in tact. After I go through it I'll report to this thread to let everyone know how it works in case others in the club are interested in improving driving skills rather than be intimidated by the prospect of being dropped onto the track with the big dogs. Something like this could be a good entrance into track driving without much risk of hurting your pretty Corvette baby. I sure don't want my 3 month old C7 altered in any way!

I am more then willing to support or set up a first timers event at Inde if desired. We have many expieranced drivers willing to give rides or ride right seat for some coaching. Let me know if you want to set something up.

• 2 weeks later...

PCA does host other car clubs at their events. I instructed for a PCA event and we had the AZ BMW club as guests (a few years back)

Everyone follows the same rules for their run group.

Renting a track is costly because not only do you rent the track - you need to have a safety and ambulance service. It might be cost effective to run with a club already suited with all the tools and services needed for a safe, fun event.

If its a local event - I would be more than happy to help instruct and if the demand is there I can gather a few of my fellow certified instructors from ProAutoSports and NASA

I have contacts with PCA, ProAutoSports and NASA if anyone would like for me to inquire about hosting the ACE club at a future event.

Drew

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SeeSeven

I am more then willing to support or set up a first timers event at Inde if desired. We have many expieranced drivers willing to give rides or ride right seat for some coaching. Let me know if you want to set something up.

Guest SeeSeven

The PCA/SAR Inde HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) event on March 28-30 was a gas! This was my first HPDE experience (haven't raced anything since 1973). Yeah, I'm old. I know.

The PCA club was a group of great folks and made it a thuoroughly enjoyable event for first timers and experienced drivers alike. For those unfamiliar with the structure of such a "driver education event" don't be intimidated by such events. It is a great way to get your car on the track in a controlled and safe manner running at whatever speed you feel comfortable with. There are strict rules including passing zones and rules for safe passing, etc to keep everyone safe and with unbent fenders. Run groups from DE-1 (novices, like me) through DE-4 (experienced and instructor level) ran in 20 minute sessions in their own class -- DE-1 with instructors and anyone else optional instructors.

I had an absolute blast. As the day progressed and I learned the track my times (2.75 mile totally awesome track) came down from 2:23 to 1:57 (according to the GoPro video footage). if you are interested. My 2014 StingRay was the fastest novice vehicle on track beating even the 911 turbos. Yahoo!! Cost? about $200/day: cheap for the most fun you'll ever have regardless of pants position.

You can sign up for PCA events as a guest. Just go to their web site, look at the calendar of events, pick one, contact the event coordinator and ask to participate as a guest, set up an account at Motorsport.reg.com (links to it through the event you're already looking at). After setting up an account you'll be directed to pages where you fill out information about your car. The system grades your car according to how stock or non-stock it is and assigns a point basis for it. You also fill out an inspection report and take it to the event where you'll be inspected by their folks for safety stuff like lug torque, etc. You only have to do all this at motorsportreg.com once I guess as I wasn't asked about anything for this upcoming event. It saves all the car info in your account. Then you choose an event to sign up for. It tells you the cost. You give it a credit card and state your experience level. New drivers are Novices and will get an instructor. Helmets are available at the track for loan from the club. Some events have meals provided, some you pay for. I sends you confirmation info to print and take to the track (which I was never asked for at Inde as they already had a list from Motorsportreg.com). All I needed was I.D.

GTABurnout: I don't know if this follows standard sign-ups (motorsportreg.com) for what you would do if ACE did an Inde event. (or other track). I did only one day of track time, while others did two or three days with the Friday added for free by the track. One day was quite enough for me the first time out - especially since my auto transmission overheated by the end of the day and I had to get off the track. (Anyone else with a 2014 having trans problems at track events???)

I'm going to another one at AZ Motorsports Park in Litchfield (Phoenix out by Luke AFB) on the 19th - $150. Check it out at http://AZ.pca.org/event/166

Hope this helps other novice drivers or track wanna-bees.

The Porsche group does this all over the country, and yes you will be accepted no matter what your cars are. The Porsche guys are very helpful and true car guys. Most of there Instructers are very experienced in all types of cars and very helpful.

A lot of you have been out to the track in litchfield, give it a try with the Porsche group you will enjoy it.

P.S. Watch out for some of the 928's that are race preped, you will enjoy the sounds and how well these cars handle the Track...

• 1 month later...
Drewster67

The Porsche group does this all over the country, and yes you will be accepted no matter what your cars are. The Porsche guys are very helpful and true car guys. Most of there Instructers are very experienced in all types of cars and very helpful.

A lot of you have been out to the track in litchfield, give it a try with the Porsche group you will enjoy it.

P.S. Watch out for some of the 928's that are race preped, you will enjoy the sounds and how well these cars handle the Track...

And how ... :)

Love my track 928 but unfortunately I wont be taking her to Inde this weekend.

(Anyone else with a 2014 having trans problems at track events???)

If your running a stock automatic transmission you will have over heating issues at the track. Unless you run/drive conservatively. If you hold it in 2nd gear to be in the power ban when entering a corner rather than third gear you'll heat up your trany system. It all depends how aggressively you drive on the track. I now use a louvered hood and 2 additional tranny coolers. That seemed to take care of the heat issues.

SLAMMER