New Stereo Install - Soliciting Help

jmxp69

Hey Guys,

I have a whole new sound system and CLD from Dennis @ Double D along with some MLV/CCF from Second Skin and some Butyl Rope from Sounddeadenersshowdown.com

I have no fear tackling this on my own, but just thought I'd toss this out there: If you have any experience ripping and replacing sound systems and/or sound deadening install, or if you're just handy with Vettes, or if you have no idea what I'm talking about but like beer, burgers on the grill and pointing out mistakes by the workers I'd like to extend an invite to stop by my place and help out.

I don't have dates worked out yet as I'm still waiting for all this stuff to show up, but it will probably be a Saturday night in the next week or two (or three).

Thought this might be a good opportunity to meet, learn, and do a little socializing while tinkering. If you're interested, PM me.

Thanks,

J

I want to help take your car apart!

Sweet! When the goods arrive, I've got you down.

I wouldn't mind seeing it done for my own education....

Great! We'll both get an education. It's been about 15 years since I fiddled with car stereos. There's lots of great information out there though, so it shouldn't be too tough.

You're in Chad/Ted land. I'm about 15-20 minutes away to the southeast

You down then?

I wish I could come , I have a new Hammer and BIG Pliers to try out.....

hehehe, I bought a sawzall just to take care of the HU support bracket.

Keep me posted. I've had the console out on mine and a couple other C5's, not a horrible job, just looks more intimidating than it really is. Did you get the Double D console which lowers the HVAC head unit?

I know I'm not allowed to speak, but as long as Dawg doesn't see me in here it should be fine. Posted Image I would love to come check it out and see how this is done as well but unfortunately I tend to have to work Saturday nights so most likely won't be able to attend. Plus that's like the fricken north pole from here. Posted Image I will see what happens when you get a date set.

Keep me posted. I've had the console out on mine and a couple other C5's, not a horrible job, just looks more intimidating than it really is. Did you get the Double D console which lowers the HVAC head unit?

Will do.

I don't think the HVAC is lowered because I kept the ash tray. Don't smoke, but it's good for holding little bits. My understanding is the HVAC only lowers if you delete the ash tray.

I know I'm not allowed to speak, but as long as Dawg doesn't see me in here it should be fine. Posted Image I would love to come check it out and see how this is done as well but unfortunately I tend to have to work Saturday nights so most likely won't be able to attend. Plus that's like the fricken north pole from here. Posted Image I will see what happens when you get a date set.

Buwahahahaha! Let's hope Dawg doesn't rat me out. Looks like I may have a couple extra sets of hands, so we'll try and get a lot of pics.

I ordered the Butyl rope from Don at sounddeadnershowdown.com today which is the last bit I need to do the deadening. Soooo looking forward to getting this together. I've also been looking for some light oak speaker box carpet. I feel an amp box build coming on because I don't think I want to mount behind the back seat. I might even get creative and mount the tweeters and the amp in a low profile box behind the waterfall.

You're in Chad/Ted/Azmotorhead land. I'm about 15-20 minutes away to the southeast.

Sorry Phil.......... teh Jim is teh fail today [hangs head in shame]

Will do.

I don't think the HVAC is lowered because I kept the ash tray. Don't smoke, but it's good for holding little bits. My understanding is the HVAC only lowers if you delete the ash tray.

Then everything should bolt right back into the factory holes, saves some hassle

You're in Chad/Ted/Azmotorhead land. I'm about 15-20 minutes away to the southeast.

Sorry Phil.......... teh Jim is teh fail today [hangs head in shame]
No need to include Victor. He's MIA.

Be glad to help depending on which dates ? I have installed audio,back up camera,HUD and Homelink in my Vette so far . Still like to add the front camera....

Be glad to help depending on which dates ? I have installed audio,back up camera,HUD and Homelink in my Vette so far . Still like to add the front camera....

Great! Thanks. I'm really hoping this Saturday the 8th, but I won't know until the HU comes in from Double D. I've also got a bunch of stuff coming from Secondskin that hasn't shipped yet so I'm in a holding pattern. If it's not the 8th it will definitely be the 15th.

Ok, locked and loaded for Saturday the 8th. I'll be getting started around 6pm-ish. I realize this conflicts with Gila Bend, but I can't make that due to prior obligations. I have all the barrier material and the stereo equipment except the head unit which should be here Friday.

PM me and let me know if you're in and I'll give you the address.

Here's what I've got done so far on the amp rack. Still waiting for some tan piping to come in. It will go between the beauty plate and the lower rails.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not a lack of willingness. It's just the worst possible day. I will have just gotten hike from a day long drive/lunch/event and not seen the family.

Yeah, sorry. You're wanting this on thee day of the year which happens to be our biggest event of thee year and it takes place out of town to boot. I'll be Bending it, sorry. Let us know how you're doing and if it carries over maybe it'll be easier to enlist some helpers

JLs Mistress

I must agree with the others the 8th does not work for me .. heads up about amp wiring being this is a vette . Try to pull ground from front use #4 ga wire for ground and power ...If you need the crimp tool for 4 ga or bigger You are welcome to use mine ....

No worries guys. Gila Bend was planned long before my little project. I wish I could make it, but I've gotta go with my boy on this one.

Regarding ground and power: I have 4ga for both. I plan on soldering everything. Is there any reason not to connect ground to the waterfall mount? I've read that's a good spot for verts and the idea is to ground as close to the amp as possible. That will wind up being about 5" from where my amp rack goes.

BTW: Since it doesn't look like anybody is coming, I think I'm going to start on it tonight :) Looks like it'll be an all nighter. Head Unit came today and that was the last bit I needed.