Will I "F" up a new chamois if...

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

So I bought this new chamois at AutoZone awhile back, and prepped it as instructed. When I went to use it on the Vette to dry it, the chamois left oily streaks all over the car. Pissed me off, so it's been hanging on a hanger in a doorway ever since. I think Dwayne then told me I needed to hand wash it and ring it out like twelve times before it would be usable. Since I'm too lazy to make all that effort I'm wondering what will happen to the chamois if I put it in the washing machine with some power detergent.

Will I mess the chamois up if I toss it in my front loading washer with some power soap then put it through the rinse cycle like twelve times?

don't use detergent on them! I would just run it through a few cycles in the washer by it's self and then see how it goes.

I always have used "The Absorber" which is a fake chamios and have had excellent luck with that. Now I use the water blade, and then touch up with the absorber or I just drive it dry :burnout:

3,503 lbs of trouble
don't use detergent on them! I would just run it through a few cycles in the washer by it's self and then see how it goes.

I always have used "The Absorber" which is a fake chamios and have had excellent luck with that. Now I use the water blade, and then touch up with the absorber or I just drive it dry :burnout:

any autozone or pep-boys usually carries them. It comes in a plastic tube. Keep that for storage.

You may still be able to use yours. I don't use the natural ones as they do have oils in them to keep them plyable.

Give yours another shot before tossing in the towel.

Where did you buy "The Absorber"?

I bought mine at Autozone. Definitely :cool:thumbs:

3,503 lbs of trouble
Where did you buy "The Absorber"?

I bought mine at Autozone. Definitely :cool:thumbs:

Dan, I have since quit using a chamois anymore, I really like the microfiber towels for drying.

If you still want to use the chamois, Like I said, put it in your sink. hot water and a little dish washing soap...

Wring the hell out of it and re-dip into the soapy water a bunch of times, then under warm running water, start wringing and rinsing it until you think all the soap is out.

Fill the sink with some warm water, and let it soak for a few to see if anymore soap comes out. if so, then start wringing again with running water.

The first sink will be full of dye and oils, you wont believe how much you get out of it. when your done drying your car, a simple rinse with running water should keep it clean and lasting for years. Just drape it over something to dry.

3,503 lbs of trouble
If you still want to use the chamois, Like I said, put it in your sink. hot water and a little dish washing soap...

Wring the hell out of it and re-dip into the soapy water a bunch of times, then under warm running water, start wringing and rinsing it until you think all the soap is out.

Fill the sink with some warm water, and let it soak for a few to see if anymore soap comes out. if so, then start wringing again with running water.

The first sink will be full of dye and oils, you wont believe how much you get out of it. when your done drying your car, a simple rinse with running water should keep it clean and lasting for years. Just drape it over something to dry.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Oh, and no... I didn't put the chamois in the dryer! :lol:

I use Micro Fiber towels.

I recently picked up a package of 16 at Costco for $10. They work well in my opinion.

In the past I have used Chamois, California Blade, Terry Towels,and the Absorbor. Micro Fiber seems to work best for me.

What I have figured out over time, the best approach when drying a vehicle, is to use 2 microfiber towels. Once the first one gets too wet, wring it out and continue to use first on the vehicle, and use the second one to completly dry the area by section.

Hope this helps.

PS...A well detailed car will sell itself. A $100 spent on detailing will get you another $1000 - $1,500 on the overall sale.

3,503 lbs of trouble

I recently picked up a package of 16 at Costco for $10.  They work well in my opinion.

3,503 lbs of trouble

I recently picked up a package of 16 at Costco for $10.

I recently picked up a package of 16 at Costco for $10.

Hey Phil - where in Costco do they stock the microfiber towels? In an automotive section?

Yes in the automotive section. I believe they are right beside the power washers.

Hey Phil - where in Costco do they stock the microfiber towels? In an automotive section?

Right down the row with the :cool:cool stainless steel toolboxes. :thumbs:

3,503 lbs of trouble
$75.00 on having the carpets & interior cleaned.

:U:U:U:smilelol: :smilelol: :smilelol:

Eddie - don't forget my little 72 hours of rain exposure debacle.

That's right! It's Phil that's got the little puker, you've got the excess water problem.